Thread: Safety question

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Safety question

For those of you who are electricians or just have experience with electrical type stuff, is a layer of electrical tape a good enough insulator for booster cables?
    The reason I ask is that I got a set as a gift last year that seemed to be a very nice quality set. Heavy gauge, heavy duty clamps, separate cables... generally pretty swell looking.
    However, the first time I went to boost someone, I noticed a little of the coating had cracked and flaked off. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the coating had cracked all through the entire run of cable on both the positive and negative. (It was a kind of plastic, not rubber, and fairly thick, too.)

Anyway, I just got around to cleaning up my trunk and getting rid of all the flakes of the cable covering and was wondering if just the tape would be good enough. (I went through 2 rolls of tape! ) It seems a shame to throw away such an industrial looking set just because the covering was crap. And, no... I don`t know what the brand was or where to return it (I think it would be past warranty anyway.)

If the tape won`t suffice, what are the alternatives?
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safety question

Safety First!! Just invest in a new pair. Or possibly go to your nearest ER.
    Later Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

Any insulation that stops the cable from touching metal will work, so yes a well taped cable may work. That said, as easy as it is to fry an on board computer these days I would ask you if it is worth it to find out if your tape has held?

Heck you can fry the ECM just disconnecting the jumper cables when the voltage spikes. You don`t jump computer controlled cars like you did the old ones. That`s why they tell you to jump start the car with the donor car running, leave the cables attached both cars running. Let the jumped car run for a while to charge its battery, shut both cars down, pull the cables and see if the car will start itself. I`ve seen it happen twice when the battery is completely drained, the alternator is good, disconnecting the cables while running and the alternator hits the dead battery and smokes the ECM, one car fried the anti-lock module as well. It doesn`t happen frequently but it can happen. Jumping a car backwards or grounding the positive cable can do the same thing.

You can buy a nice set of cables for $35. The long cables are very nice but also need to be very heavy gauge. I got a nice set of 20 ft. cables 15 years ago. I`ve used them twice, never for my own benefit and loaned them a couple of times. I`ve loved them.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a new battery and toss the cables
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Leegr View Post
    .........the first time I went to boost someone, I noticed a little of the coating had cracked and flaked off. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the coating had cracked all through the entire run of cable on both the positive and negative. (It was a kind of plastic, not rubber, and fairly thick, too.).....
    So much for that "very nice quality set" of jumpers

Like everyone else has said you`re much better off tossing them out if the insulation on them was that bad. Don`t skimp on the next set of cables and they`ll last you for years. Keep GearHead_1`s warning in the back of your mind when jumping newer cars..... those modules that can get fried aren`t cheap.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    Get a new battery and toss the cables
    I`ve been boosting others, sir, so a batery isn`t needed for me at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    Don`t skimp on the next set of cables and they`ll last you for years.
    I have another set. As mentioned, it was a gift, but I just hate to throw something away that a person likely paid a fair bit for.

So, as it seems the general consensus is that it ain`t worth the risk, I guess I`ll take `em apart and use the clamps for holding up floor mats or sumpin`.

If anyone has any ideas for what else can be done with them, let me know. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

There is a product that is used to coat the handles of pliers etc..., its basically a liquid rubber that will set up and be pliable. You could brush on a few layers and it would work.

Caswell Inc. - Plasti Dip Products

Post Thanks / Like

I have some stuff like this, but wasn`t too sure if I`d have enough. Fairly long/thick cables. But who knows? Maybe I`ll experiment with it!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Leegr View Post
    I`ve been boosting others, sir, so a batery isn`t needed for me at this time.
    What a good citizen & neighbour
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Another supporter of the "toss `em" school of thought.

This thread reminds me of a stunt that I pulled in the USMC about a hundred years ago. Have any of you ex-military guys ever witnessed some young dip-sh*t, like yours truly, cross-jump two 24 volt Jeeps? Yikes!
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like

Just a little bit of technical advice and then you can decide what you want to do.

Your battery has 12 volts.

1 turn of electrical tape will insulate 600 volts

I have repaired extension cords that carry 120 volts but I put 2 turns on not for insulation as much as just to be sure that it don`t come off.

The cables that you have sound like a cheap set because good one have rubber not the cheap plastic coating.

It is really hard to find a quality set of jumpers.

I made me some from welding cable used 00 this has a lot of fine strands of wire and will carry many times more amps then those that have just 6 or 8 large wires in them.

All the cheapest have the larger wire in them.

Thread Information