Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on a 2000 Dodge Dakota?

I had a great end of season last year after Jennifer quit working and I was able to detail on a daily basis. 2007 is going to start off early as I have already got people knocking my door down. I`ve been taking OCDetails to the next level as far as getting the business license and organizing the company. The next step is to get out of the trunk of my Accord and into something a little more professional. I`m going to a dealership this afternoon to check out a 2000 Dodge Dakota and I`m just curious if anyone has any opinions about it. This is a smoking deal for this particular truck from what I can tell. Check out the fantastic color too.

I miss the regal blue Legacy and this is a great color to shine up. Much better than the beige and silver that I own right now. For a truck that is supposed to showcase my work a bit, I think blue is a good color choice.

It has about 120K on the clock. It is 2WD, which is fine since I don`t need 4WD. It`s a V6, which is good since I`ll get better gas milage. I need to check out the truck so I can evaluate the paint condition and interior condition (make sure no pets or smoke or massive stains and tears), but from what I gathered from the dealer who is selling it, the thing is really clean. I have no idea why they are only asking $5000 for it because around here that truck`s average retail is around $7000.

I`ve done my homework on it and I can`t find anything that screams "Stay away!". I`ve never owned a Dodge before, so I`m not very knowledgable about their reliablity or anything. Is this truck going to blow up in another 15,000 miles, or is it good for a couple years? Any experience with this engine or vehicle is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and Howdy! Long time no see. I`ve been up to my eyeballs in work for the last six months between detailing, my day job, and my other side graphic & web design stuff. I`ve missed DC though. It`s good to see you all again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on a 2000 Dodge Dakota?

I would take a look at the steering ball joints. With that many miles I am sure that they are worn.

If it were an eight cylinder engine I would not be as worried about the mileage. With a six cylinder I would keep my eye on it. Although at five thousand dollars you can afford to have a few engine problems and still be ahead of the game.

I love the cab on the Dakota. Lots of room even for an over sized guy like me. Lots of leg room. Also easy access to the back seat if needed with the extended cab.

I agree with you also on the color. It will be a great advertsement for your business as you come rolling on to the job.

Welcome back. Your posts were missed!!
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

My brother owned a Dakota and it was a great truck except for the brakes and the transmition. Both had to be replaced at 46,000 miles. The brakes I could see, but not the TM. And my father had a Ram 1500 that had the TM drop at 42,000. It doesn`t mean Dodge is bad, but just my experience and 0.02.

SCDetail

Post Thanks / Like

Those are good points. I`ll make sure I have my mechanic take a look at it before I buy it. I want to be very very sure about this before I sell a perfectly reliable Accord and get into a truck that I don`t know much about. Thanks for the feedback!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check some of the on-line used car pricing services.
    Depending on equipment, the price wouldn`t be all that great in this area.
    2000 Dakota Club Cab with cruise, power seat, windows and seat, would go for about $5925, but average miles on a 2000 would be in the 80 to 90,000 range. The 120,000 knocks off about $1325 so that truck could probably be purchased outright for around $4600. The R/T Sport version is about $2300 more money. The Quad Cab models are about $6200.
    Chrysler engines seem to be pretty reliable, but that hasn`t been the case with transmissions. Rear end noise is also common, but doesn`t seem to result in any major problems.
    From what I hear, once the original transmission is rebuilt, the problems are pretty much eliminated.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve priced it out with NADA and KBB and it falls way under those book values. The 2000 Dodge Dakota club cab with SLT package has an average retail value of a little over $7000 in my area. This is Utah, you know. The only thing they have more of than trucks would be mini vans. The only reason this one isn`t priced higher is because it isn`t 4WD and it isn`t a V8. Utah guys tend to need to overcompensate for something it seems. Luckily I`m not from around here, so I can get by with a 2WD V6. Based also on the other trucks of this type and year for sale in the valley, this is a really good deal. I`m going to go check it out in a bit and see what the dealership isn`t telling me. I`ve got a really good mechanic who will give it a good once over for me as well, so I`m confident that if there is a reason not to buy it then I`ll find it. I really hope there isn`t a reason not to get it because I really do miss the traffic stopping appearance of a well shined vehicle. I just don`t get that kind of reaction from my Accord. lol

Chris
    Post Thanks / Like

Fairly solid trucks, just have it checked out with that mileage. Don`t expect much better gas mileage on the 6 regardless of what the ratings say. Generally the V8 counterparts get about the same if not sometimes better since they don`t have to work as hard. Like my V8 Mountaineer, I get about 15-16 city and 20-22 highway, sisters V6 Explorer gets about 13-14 city and 19 highway. V8 torque is so effortless. If you can find one with the 4.7 V8 that would be good, though the 5.9`s will drink the gas in that truck if you drive with a little "lead` foot lol.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on Tranny. Dodge didn`t make the best trannys. 120,xxx miles on the clock too. If you are to put everything in the truck, business wise, if your truck breaks down, your business breaks down with it......
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB
    Ditto on Tranny. Dodge didn`t make the best trannys. 120,xxx miles on the clock too. If you are to put everything in the truck, business wise, if your truck breaks down, your business breaks down with it......
    I was going to say the same thing, you can`t push that thing to your next stop.

Have a full dino done on it
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

This may help a little but the mechanics checkout is invaluable. The v-6 engines weren`t known for having much "oomph" so in case you plan to tow a heavy load a V-8 might be in order.

1997-2004 Dodge Dakota Reliability

Personally I would have the checkout done and let the results decide what amount to offer for the truck assuming it`s still worthwhile having.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    Those are good points. I`ll make sure I have my mechanic take a look at it before I buy it. I want to be very very sure about this before I sell a perfectly reliable Accord and get into a truck that I don`t know much about. Thanks for the feedback!
    Take it for a long test drive and bring it by my place. I`ll take a look at it for you. In a former life I was an ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician. The engine should be good for 150K without having anything done to it. Dodge transmissions are a crap shoot, who knows how many miles it is good for. Perhaps it`s already been rebuilt. The rear end is also a piece that doesn`t have a great long term reputation. Front end and brake check should be taken into consideration before laying your money down.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Opinions on a 2000 Dodge Dakota?

I may be biased, but I would get a Toyota Tundra. Right now you can get some incredible year end deals on the 2006 Tundras. I think that it would be a more reliable all the way around vehicle. I may be biased because I have owned a 2006 Tundra for a year now and constantly read tundrasolutions.com, but for my money toyota wins hands down. Get a V8.

Jack in WC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlift
    I may be biased, but I would get a Toyota Tundra. Right now you can get some incredible year end deals on the 2006 Tundras. I think that it would be a more reliable all the way around vehicle. I may be biased because I have owned a 2006 Tundra for a year now and constantly read tundrasolutions.com, but for my money toyota wins hands down. Get a V8.

Jack in WC.
    That`s not even a fair comparison. Virtually any 2006 truck is going to be more reliable long term than a truck that`s 6 years older regardless of make.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to echo the sentiments about the Dodge transmissions. I know three people with Rams or Dakotas, and all have had tranny problems. The government also uses some of the Rams at the Army Depot close to my parents homes, and my dad says they are in the shop quite a bit - I know maybe that`s not quite a fair comparison due to their "community" use, but they other trucks don`t seem to have the same numerous problems. I also hear lots of complaints about Dodge gas mileage - no matter the model or engine.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    That`s not even a fair comparison. Virtually any 2006 truck is going to be more reliable long term than a truck that`s 6 years older regardless of make.
    You are probably right, but I would almost bet that a 6 year old Toyota would be as reliable as a lot of new trucks.

Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information