IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

trouble shooting

Im looking for good site for problems with my vehicles. The Ford dealer closed almost 2 years ago and now Im somewhat lost where to go for both touble shooting and quality repairs if I so need. Mostly the diagnosic part. Maybe it might just be easier to have my vehicles hooked to scanner and get it done with. Heres what Ive got: 96 f150 4x4 5.8, slow start, shut done 3 times in 5 miles on a trip (so I turned around and went home), everything else works I do beleive on it. Ive replaced the ignition module with 1 from Oreillys(ya I should have probably got a better one but on sundat what else do you do.) 92 ford tempo 2.3 might start wont stay running, replaced fuel regulator, ign. module, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, and a/c after the wife drove it this summer. 88 f150 5.0 5 speed 4x4 dual exhaust since 94. Check engine light comes on at moderate exceleration at temps under 45degrees. It still runs though. just to keep the other brands off my back 01 venture, a/c not working since early July, the radio does not work(CD PLAYER DOES). May only need to put on scanner and find out whats wrong sometime. Thanks RANDAL

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: trouble shooting

While I can`t be any help diagnosing your problems, I do have a suggestion.
    Go back to the O`Reilley`s you were at and use their scanner at no charge.
    I think Auto Zone offers the same service.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re setting a trouble code (check engine light on), get the codes pulled before throwing parts at it. You`re just barking up a tree, any tree until you know what`s setting the light off.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

codes 1391 and 1397. shows PCM or possibly ICM if so equped. Using new demo scanner from Mac tools. Was told PCM (computer rarely failed in the Ford line up). One misfiring cylinder so new plugs and wires were installed on right bank of cylinders. (old plugs were in truck when I got it 35K ago, still original wires, will finish install later.) All of this because truck would nt start after being shut off after lunch. Took about 30 minutes to get started. MOSTLY THREATS ABOUT BEING PULLED BY A COUPLE FIVE LETER WORDS CHEVY AND DODGE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RANDAL
    Im looking for good site for problems with my vehicles. The Ford dealer closed almost 2 years ago and now Im somewhat lost where to go for both touble shooting and quality repairs if I so need. Mostly the diagnosic part. Maybe it might just be easier to have my vehicles hooked to scanner and get it done with. Heres what Ive got: 96 f150 4x4 5.8, slow start, shut done 3 times in 5 miles on a trip (so I turned around and went home), everything else works I do beleive on it. Ive replaced the ignition module with 1 from Oreillys(ya I should have probably got a better one but on sundat what else do you do.) 92 ford tempo 2.3 might start wont stay running, replaced fuel regulator, ign. module, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, and a/c after the wife drove it this summer. 88 f150 5.0 5 speed 4x4 dual exhaust since 94. Check engine light comes on at moderate exceleration at temps under 45degrees. It still runs though. just to keep the other brands off my back 01 venture, a/c not working since early July, the radio does not work(CD PLAYER DOES). May only need to put on scanner and find out whats wrong sometime. Thanks RANDAL
    First let me post a site that has a wealth of knowledgeable guys that can help with Ford trucks.

Ford Truck World -- Ford Trucks, Ford Truck Parts, Ford Truck Accessories, Ford Truck Body Parts

Now onto some of the issues you are having. the 96 F-150 could be the ignition module and/or the Distributor. The distributors get the shaft worn and have a tendency to wobble which then cause the hall effect to lose it`s signal to the ECM and thus the truck dies. If you have not replaced the module i would start with it and if that doesn`t work it is most likely the dist.

The 88 F-150 sound like a EGR issue based on your description but if you got the codes for the CEL i might be able to help more.

As for diagnostic work i would try and locate a nice independent shop and build a relationship with them. Be up front and tell them you usually went to ford but they are now gone and you wish to find a shop you can trust and bring all your vehicles to.

Which vehicle is throwing those trouble codes?? And how did you get those numbers?

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Richard the only vehicle Ive put on scanner is the 96 f150. Started with NOS. 1000 then 1391 and 1397 (COULD HAVE BEEN 1395) all refering back to PCM and Then to ICM. Ignition mod replaced in ALL three vehicles in the last 2 months. Just havnt put 88 on scanner yet was busy on saturday and worked at WALMART today. 92 Tempo wont start so its setting here in the yard. I will check this site mentioned after I run through EBAY. THANK YOU VERY MUCH RANDAL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RANDAL
    Richard the only vehicle Ive put on scanner is the 96 f150. Started with NOS. 1000 then 1391 and 1397 (COULD HAVE BEEN 1395) all refering back to PCM and Then to ICM. Ignition mod replaced in ALL three vehicles in the last 2 months. Just havnt put 88 on scanner yet was busy on saturday and worked at WALMART today. 92 Tempo wont start so its setting here in the yard. I will check this site mentioned after I run through EBAY. THANK YOU VERY MUCH RANDAL
    OK that makes more sense. The 88 is not capable of giving codes with those numbers which is why i asked. I will look the other codes up later tonight hopefully for you, but if you could post all the info on the truck it will make it easier to help. Make Model engine trans 4x2 or 4x4

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Well i have checked all my reference material and cannot locate those codes anywhere. The P1000 is irrelevant and doesn`t mean anything. It is essentially saying the ECM needs more input to get more trouble codes.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Richard codes on 96 4x4 5.8 auto 1391 and 1395. NOT 1397. Itsd just irritating that it will run and run, and the next time I go to start it is extremely hard to get started. As stated before ignition module was replaced recently. and half the wires and plugs so far. We were using a MAC branded OTC scanner diagnostic machine. It came down to 4 codes and he removed one. then down to 3, 1000,1391, and 1395. these from the scanner point to PCM or ICM if equipped(I dont know about the ICM). Is the PCM one of 2 on the fire wall near the steering column? Were not sure but thats where former Ford parts mean said it was. Thanks for the info RANDAL

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but there are no 1391 or 1395 codes. Nothing under engine or transmission and i have also checked under other. Those codes do not exist.

Is it possible they were 1351 & 1359 If so those are related to the distributor which is what i said above.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Thread Information