Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Resetting a chevy computer?

Fuel system clean out HMMMMMMM Fuel filter may be clogged... if it was the fuel pump your car wouldn`t run at all in the old days the fuel pump ran off of your cam shaft today there electric so the chances of it being bad is slim to none next thing you can check is your fuel filter that would make your car run bad also check to see that the plug wires are on tightly around the spark plugs if one is not on corectly the car would be running rough big time
    Good luck! keep looking you will find it ...

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So I checked all the plugs, pressing them firmly at both ends, and now the check engine light is on. I think I might be doing more harm then good here. Sometimes I regret having never learned jack about motors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DKKNE
    Also the ECM must relearn and it does that VERY slowly if you let it idle, it needs to be driven about 30-50 miles before is has enough long term fuel trim saved
    this is the best advice I seen here yet....

Never disconnect a battery cable while the veh. is running... EVER. this is the fastest way to wipe out a PCM.
    not sure if the 01`s had 2 computers in them or not I do know that today there are as many as 3 systems on board. ECM, PCM and TCM.

with the caps on the larger sound systems you can discharge these by (engine Off)removing all power leads to the units and turning the unit on for a moment or two.

do as DKKNE stated first.... this is most important to relearn the computer before you move on to other problem... if you do to many thing you will end up chasing your tail,

relearn the computer first,
    there are some veh that need to be driven at a constant speed for a period of time before a relearn will happen, stop and go traffic will only extend the time for the computer to relearn. if you are NOT throwing a "Check engine" light the system will reset sooner.

if the problem still occurs you might want to find someone with a good scan tool to look at the values the computer is seeing and trouble shoot from there.
    Beercan

Post Thanks / Like

OK so now I have checked all of the plugs and they seem to be making a good connection and the car is throwing a Service Enging Soon light. It is still idling rough, and it doesn`t seem that I know anything about engines. Thanks for all the help guys, seriously from the bottom of my heart, but I think my limited knowledge is what is preventing me from properly fixing whatever is wrong. I guess I am just gonna take it back to my mechanic on monday. It just steams my clams that I just paid to have the tranny replaced, and the fuel system cleaned and the plugs changed and a new battery, yadda yadda A month of down time and it is STILL having problems.
    But seriously your help is very very much appreciated especially Harry and Belcher who took time repeatedly to post in this thread trying to help me out.

Post Thanks / Like

Well too bad your on the west coast and not the east I would have checked it out for ya if you were close good luck I know its going to be something stupid like a fuel filter or a disconected sensor let us know what it was

Post Thanks / Like

So I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the problem was in the plug wires (as it seems I had replaced everything BUT those so far), and with my limited, (read: non-existent), mechanic skills I purchased a set of AC Delco plug wires and had my friend install them for me.
    Cranked the truck and purred like one of those furry mammals that don`t come when you call them.
    Finally it seems that all of this may be behind me (knock wood) the truck is running smooth and everything seems to be 5 by 5.
    I just wanted to let you guys know how much it meant to me that you were all willing to help, seriously all of your input really helped me out a ton.
    So basically, THANKS!

Post Thanks / Like

Im glad you found the problem when you told us that the car was almost to the point of stalling I knew it wasn`t the computer trying to re-learn thats why I told you to check the plug wires and gas filter but thats great news

Post Thanks / Like

I bet your mechanic accidentally damaged one of the wires when he did the plugs did you use dielectric grease on the new plug wires?
    These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerboy
    I bet your mechanic accidentally damaged one of the wires when he did the plugs did you use dielectric grease on the new plug wires?
    Is that the green gel like substance that was on the inside of the plug wire? If so then yes, it was already on the wires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information