Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil Change. Ramps or Jack Stands?

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    If the car is high enough, would it be safer to just creep under there? I have adjustable suspension and I can raise it hgih enough that I fit under.
    When I had My Ranger and my Bronco, all I did was crawl under the truck.
    If you don`t have to lift it then why bother?

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Rhino Ramps and they work great. As mentioned by others I also use jack stands and wheel chucks. I`ve been doing it this way for years. Works great, no jacking involved, and I`ve never had a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pogo123
    I use the Rhino Ramps and they work great. As mentioned by others I also use jack stands and wheel chucks. I` .
    + one for the added SAFETY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A
    If the ramps collapsing were a common issue that company would be out of business.
    Anthony it happens a lot to the cheap steel ones with no braces. My best friends dad was killed that way,when his ramps collapsed when he was under his stock car. Like these pieces of $hit.
    http://www.x5world.com/images/articl...hange%2005.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

If the ramps collapsing were a common issue that company would be out of business.
    Anthony it happens a lot to the cheap steel ones with no braces. My best friends dad was killed that way,when his ramps collapsed when he was under his stock car. Like these pieces of $hit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwgtivw

Did your friend`s family sue? Why is that product not banned?

Post Thanks / Like

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Your better off changing it yourself. At least this way you KNOW its done right and the plug is back on correctly. If you can fit under the truck i would invest in one of those rolling back support deals you see mechanics use. I forgot what they`re called. I been needing to get one for myself but forget everytime i go to sears.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use jack and jackstands. They are much more practical for me, to do wheel rotations and brake inspections and such...that`s why I didn`t buy ramps but bought a $70 jack instead.

If you can get under the car as is, no reason to raise it up. IF it`s not quite high enough, some people drive one side of the car onto the sidewalk, might raise it just enough...I`m venturing to guess you wouldn`t try that on an X5 (and I wouldn`t try that on any car)

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Ramps with bracing were my choice for years.
    Then, vehicles were built so low and with so much overhang that I needed an approach ramp to get onto the ramps.
    Next step was the floor jack and the jack stands. Eventually I switched the jack stands for wood blocks cut to the right height with carpet on the top surface.
    When the old floor jack gave up and I was shopping for a new one for about $150, my wife asked me how long it would take to pay for the floor jack based on what I could save by doing it myself. It was about 3 to 5 years. She suggested that she might be able to increase my allowance enough to cover that $150 over the following 3 to 5 years.
    Guess how it`s done now.

As for who you have do it, check with your present mechanic. The guys I go to for my mechanical repairs also change oil, anti-freeze, transmission fluid, any service my vehicles need. They charge very little more than the cheap lube shops. They do it right and I feel like they will see things that I might miss.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Ramps with bracing were my choice for years.
    Then, vehicles were built so low and with so much overhang that I needed an approach ramp to get onto the ramps.
    Next step was the floor jack and the jack stands. Eventually I switched the jack stands for wood blocks cut to the right height with carpet on the top surface.
    When the old floor jack gave up and I was shopping for a new one for about $150, my wife asked me how long it would take to pay for the floor jack based on what I could save by doing it myself. It was about 3 to 5 years. She suggested that she might be able to increase my allowance enough to cover that $150 over the following 3 to 5 years.
    Guess how it`s done now.

As for who you have do it, check with your present mechanic. The guys I go to for my mechanical repairs also change oil, anti-freeze, transmission fluid, any service my vehicles need. They charge very little more than the cheap lube shops. They do it right and I feel like they will see things that I might miss.

Charles

Getting shops to do it for you is OK if you trust them. I don`t. Too many simple things for them to screw up. Stripping the plug, under tighten the plug so it leaks, wrong oil or filter, forget to put oil in which I have seen done at a Walmart, or just plain ripping you off as the Jiffy Lube video that was going around shows. There is no price I can put on my piece of mind.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting shops to do it for you is OK if you trust them. I don`t. Too many simple things for them to screw up. Stripping the plug, under tighten the plug so it leaks, wrong oil or filter, forget to put oil in which I have seen done at a Walmart, or just plain ripping you off as the Jiffy Lube video that was going around shows. There is no price I can put on my piece of mind.
    I`m not suggesting the Jiffy Lube, but your mechanic that you have work on your vehicle. I figure if I can trust him to do a $600 head gasket replacement, I can trust him for the oil/filter change.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwgtivw
    The ramp in the pics are the ones i was reffering too.

I agree with charles when he says to look for a mechanic who could do it cheaper even some lube places only chargre $18 - $ 24.00 now adays.

Have you thought about greasing the fittings?

Post Thanks / Like

My jack cost $70. It might not last that long, but I like doing it myself. It`s a matter of trust...would you let just anybody detail your car? Likewise, I`m picky about who works on my cars, so I do it when I can, just cuz.

I use the jack for more than just oil changes. I use it to do my own tire rotations, brake inspections, general checks for leaks and such, for whatever reason. Whether the jack pays for itself or not isn`t really my concern...but I`ve used it 4 times in the past week to look for a suspension noise, take off a sway bar, and change two vehicle`s oils. Not to mention that a proper auto trans flush will take several drain/fills with a few miles driven in between them. So the jack in my case does pay off

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
    Not to mention that a proper auto trans flush will take several drain/fills with a few miles driven in between them. So the jack in my case does pay off
    Or have it done by a mechanic that has the equipment to flush the entire system including the torque convertor.

Charles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information