Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just turned 1000 miles should I get oil change?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Lover
    All engines are built differently. Follow your manual on recommended change intervals. It should specify how the break-in period should be handled.

Talk to my cousin (BMW tech) and he said NOT to change the oil any sooner than 7500 miles. He also said a lot of there customers change there oil at 7,500 miles, but also said that he has never seen any problem with the 15,000 mile or 1 year oil change intervals when using the proper oil. If you are concerned with the oil change intervals do a oil analysis they will help you decide on a proper oil change intervals. Google oil analysis for more info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwgtivw
    Talk to my cousin (BMW tech) and he said NOT to change the oil any sooner than 7500 miles. He also said a lot of there customers change there oil at 7,500 miles, but also said that he has never seen any problem with the 15,000 mile or 1 year oil change intervals when using the proper oil. If you are concerned with the oil change intervals do a oil analysis they will help you decide on a proper oil change intervals. Google oil analysis for more info.
    What exactly does the manual say?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am as anal about oil changes as I am about detailing. I always
    change my oil and filter every 3000 miles and I use Pennzoil Platinum
    Synthetic. I beleive that fresh oil is the life blood of an engine and the
    cleaner the oil the better it protects. There is now way I would go 7500
    to 15000 miles before an oil change. I tend to keep my cars for a long
    time and get 200k out of my engines and they are running fine when I
    do get rid of them. I had a Toyota 4 runner that I sold with 200k to a
    friend and it now has 487k and still running fine. That is what taking care
    of an engine gets you.

Post Thanks / Like

Maxima the manual says 15,000 miles or one year or when the oil change light comes on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwgtivw
    Maxima the manual says 15,000 miles or one year or when the oil change light comes on.
    Even for the first change? If so, that is what Frankie should do.

Post Thanks / Like

Oils have improved greatly in recent years. Getting extended oil change intervals is not that hard. I routinely change the oil in my GP at 6 month/6,000 mile intervals. The Envoy was changed at 10,700 miles.

I`ve run Mobil 1, Amsoil (regular and Series 2k), German Castrol Syntec and Royal Purple in the vehicles. I also have been using Lube Control every 1,000 miles or so.

The engines are fine. I know that because I had the oil analyzed. When I changed the oil in the Envoy at 10,700 miles, oil analysis confirmed that it was fine, just near the end of its useful life. The wear metals were easily in range and the additive pack was still going. The same goes for the 6,000 mile intervals in the GP. That car gets driven harder than it should at its age (111,000 miles and counting) and it shows normal wear metals.

Changing the oil too soon is a waste of money. The "it`s cheap insurance" excuse is sad and wasteful. How much less oil would we use if people didn`t follow antiquated rules such as the 3,000 mile oil interval? People whine about being addicted to oil, but refuse to do anything about it because they have this baseless 3,000 mile rule in their head.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Check with your dealer, but normally prior to you taking delivery, they drop the oil and filter and install a new filter and oil, then road test.

Go with what your manual says.

For Porsche, first service... 20,000 miles! That includes oil and filter.

It won`t hurt to change the oil and filter early. Some oil does get a bit thinned-out due to fuel escape during break in. I`m sure BMW recommends Mobil-1 or other synthetic, but in any case, stick to what viscosity it requires for the type of driving.

Hell, if I had access to a lift like I used to, I`d be chaning my oil more often as well, but since this car takes close to 10 quarts (dry sump) Mobil-1 can be a bit costly. Still cheaper than a new engine!

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    Oils have improved greatly in recent years. Getting extended oil change intervals is not that hard. I routinely change the oil in my GP at 6 month/6,000 mile intervals. The Envoy was changed at 10,700 miles.

I`ve run Mobil 1, Amsoil (regular and Series 2k), German Castrol Syntec and Royal Purple in the vehicles. I also have been using Lube Control every 1,000 miles or so.

The engines are fine. I know that because I had the oil analyzed. When I changed the oil in the Envoy at 10,700 miles, oil analysis confirmed that it was fine, just near the end of its useful life. The wear metals were easily in range and the additive pack was still going. The same goes for the 6,000 mile intervals in the GP. That car gets driven harder than it should at its age (111,000 miles and counting) and it shows normal wear metals.

Changing the oil too soon is a waste of money. The "it`s cheap insurance" excuse is sad and wasteful. How much less oil would we use if people didn`t follow antiquated rules such as the 3,000 mile oil interval? People whine about being addicted to oil, but refuse to do anything about it because they have this baseless 3,000 mile rule in their head.
    Bravo! If only more people would actually do some research in this area countless thousands of gallons of perfectly good oil would not be thrown away.

As far as the BMW goes, with it`s first oil change, I would change it @5K. From that point on trust the oil life monitor providing a few UOA`s have been done to confirm the OLM is on the money.

Post Thanks / Like

The oil light should "never" come on!!! If you are adding more than one quart between your oil change intervals, then IMO your oil is not giving you the protection that your engine requires. If that is the case, then you should change the oil more frequently. It may be better, however, to do an oil economy check to see whether the engine is consuming more oil than the recommended specifications.

From my experience, as well as knowing first hand (from friends, unfortunately for them) what the consequences are from neglecting to maintain good oil consistency, consuming a quart or more oil between changes is below acceptability with my cars; But that`s my opinion on this subject. I`ve never had to rebuild or repair or service any engine due to engine failure from oil. I can name several close family members and friends that have run their cars between 100,000 and 200,000 miles (a couple of isolated cases going beyond 200,000) without needing an overhaul! I also have not seen a significant difference in the longevity of oil, other than a wider selection of synthetics, which have demonstrated longer use times.

Neglecting oil can also have long term effects, such as increased oil consumption, increased internal engine parts wear, obvious signs such as smoke...........but in hindsight that may not matter if you keep a car for a couple of years. Its that poor (sucker) customer that buys it resale that ends up with the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Motor Mfg says 5000 miles for trucks under towing conditions. I
    said before that I use synthectic oil which doe`s nothing to our dependence
    on foreign oil. It`s a matter of choice to exceed the suggested oil change
    intervals. I find it hard to beleive that someone who would spend hundreds
    of dollars to take care of the cars finish would skimp on one of the most
    important maintenance items that you do to your car. Most of the oil
    mfg`s suggest 3000 mile intervals as well. I work on all of my families cars
    and can tell the difference in the oil that has been used 5000 to 7500 miles.
    It is thinner and much dirtier. Black as coal. To each his own. I stand by
    my regimen and always will. I do not say that people who wax their cars
    once a year are foolish, just not as into taking care of thier investment as
    I am.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lbls1
    The oil light should "never" come on!!! If you are adding more than one quart between your oil change intervals, then IMO your oil is not giving you the protection that your engine requires. If that is the case, then you should change the oil more frequently. It may be better, however, to do an oil economy check to see whether the engine is consuming more oil than the recommended specifications.

From my experience, as well as knowing first hand (from friends, unfortunately for them) what the consequences are from neglecting to maintain good oil consistency, consuming a quart or more oil between changes is below acceptability with my cars; But that`s my opinion on this subject. I`ve never had to rebuild or repair or service any engine due to engine failure from oil. I can name several close family members and friends that have run their cars between 100,000 and 200,000 miles (a couple of isolated cases going beyond 200,000) without needing an overhaul! I also have not seen a significant difference in the longevity of oil, other than a wider selection of synthetics, which have demonstrated longer use times.

Neglecting oil can also have long term effects, such as increased oil consumption, increased internal engine parts wear, obvious signs such as smoke...........but in hindsight that may not matter if you keep a car for a couple of years. Its that poor (sucker) customer that buys it resale that ends up with the problem.

The oil light we are talking about is the oil change light not the oil pressure light. Most new GM cars and German cars have them they monitor your driving habits,engine temp,outside temp,idle time and etc. to determine oil life and they are pretty close. As a side note my 2001 Jetta diesel has 90,000 miles on it and the oil is changed every 10,000 miles with Pentosyn 5w40 oil and my oil analysis showed I could go another 2-3,000 miles and when the US gets low sulfur diesel fuel I could probably go another 10,000 miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deanski
    Check with your dealer, but normally prior to you taking delivery, they drop the oil and filter and install a new filter and oil, then road test.

Deanski
    hey dean, is this process for porsches? the dealers i have worked have never done that unless the customer wnated it done on their own. i know harley says to change the oil at 1600 kms(1000 miles) and than every 4000 km`s after that. i prefer to change my oil no later than the recommened intervals. i have seen people run their oil changes for up to 15,000 kms on standard oil.

Post Thanks / Like

As I`ve stated earlier, the oil light is a warning, not an indicator in most us cars (it may be a different feature on foreign cars). If your oil has deteriorated to a point where the sensors detect that it should be replenished, then that is xxx amount of miles that you have been driving to that point with sub-par oil; Meaning that is the amount of dirt and engine part shavings as well as deteriorated oil that is circulating through your crankcase, lining your cylinder walls, and depositing the residual waste on the valvetrain (or with overhead cam, the crankshaft and pulley gears, and camshaft valve gear). In time, the inheriting owner will have issues with excessive wear and tear if habits such as neglecting oil continues at that rate. I`ve seen it happen to others far too many times that I would like to admit!

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen used car`s and trucks at dealers that command much higher
    prices when there is a maintenance record of low mileage oil changes. I for
    one do not like to buy a brand new car as the prices are high and you are
    upside down the day you drive it off the lot. When I do go looking for a used
    car. I look for one that has obviously been taken care of. Not only in looks
    but in the maintenace records as well. I would not be impressed to buy a
    car that went 5000,7500,10000.15000 for oil changes. I absolutly would not
    buy one that went that far. The truck I am driving now was a cherry of
    a used car. Only had 47000 miles and was in pristine condition. All manuals
    and every receipt for everything that was ever done to it was in the glovebox. The oil and filter were chaged at the dealer every 3000 miles.
    That can command a very high resale price. I did not mind at all to pay a
    little higher price to get a truck that had that kind of care.
    This is not the only way to do it though. Like anything else we do to our
    cars, ours is not the only process,product or way to do anything. I like
    to see what products or processes others use and make my own decisions.
    I do not like to be rebutted directly for everything I might say or others
    might say. It seems childish to carry on that way about an opinion of others
    who are just making observations about any process or product. Point out
    you obsevations about something and go on with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belcherm58
    This is not the only way to do it though. Like anything else we do to our
    cars, ours is not the only process,product or way to do anything. I like
    to see what products or processes others use and make my own decisions.
    I do not like to be rebutted directly for everything I might say or others
    might say. It seems childish to carry on that way about an opinion of others
    who are just making observations about any process or product. Point out
    you obsevations about something and go on with it.
    Huh? Where did that come from?
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information