Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Service engine soon :(

Quote Originally Posted by SNike05
    Ok this might sound wierd but the shivering and bogging is normal kind of. I don`t know why it happens but it happend on my friend 2006 M5. I know the cars are completely different but it happend to his car at the same time, the traffic light, and he got freaked but it went away on its own. I think it has to do with BMW new magnesium/aluminum engines (material was made in my department at Uni btw). Maybe you should wait it out cause it could go away. His lasted about 600-800 KM.
    Sounds understandable but why does the engine boggle and not deliver.

I dropped it off this morning. Mentioned it to the Service Advisor and quickly recognized the problems and mentioned something about the coils. I didn`t go indepth as to all the details of what was wrong, so maybe his assumption was wrong.

On a side note, I got really mad seeing a lot of the "fetch" guys leaning on cars and using hoods to write on there "walkaround" slips.

Hopefully I`ll get a response by today as to what might be wrong.
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure on that car it has a single Coil pack on top of each spark plug. My guess would be that one of these has failed. I agree with the calling road side assistance and tell them it began shaking terribly and you can no longer drive it.

Did you recently wash the under hood with water?

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 97F1504x4

Did you recently wash the under hood with water?

Richard
    I washed the engine about a month ago and used cd-2 engine detailer. Didn`t have any problems then. Every wash I wipe the engine down with the remaining rags from what I use to dry the wheels.

Hopefully thats not the case.

Why do you ask?
    • JoYRiiDE

Post Thanks / Like

Gave the dealer a call right now (May 24th 3:34pm), just for him to tell me that the car hasn`t even been looked at, even though I dropped it off today at 8am. He mentioned he`s trying to get someone to look at it.

To add insult to injury, I can`t even get a loaner because I`m under 21.

This is really bad. I wish I had some type of device to see what the "service engine soon" light meant so that I can service it myself or take it to a reputable place and pay for it.

It seems almost like I forget how different the service is when you`re buying a car. Some service departments are better than others, but in the end the same respect and service that was put forth when you were buying the thing, is not even close to what you get when service it.

As much as I enjoy the drive of the BMW, my last "3" experiences with german cars are steering me towards a japanese model for my next car, considering Japanese carmakers have been making huge leaps in terms of performance and have actually been the ones to keep the germans on their feet.

Dad says they just don`t make em` like they used to.

Thats my novel entry for today.

Keep y`all posted.

Joy
    • JoYRiiDE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    I washed the engine about a month ago and used cd-2 engine detailer. Didn`t have any problems then. Every wash I wipe the engine down with the remaining rags from what I use to dry the wheels.

Hopefully thats not the case.

Why do you ask?
    On cars that use the COP system if water gets down into the spark plug hole it can cause arcing to occur which leads to misfires and symptoms like you described.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

On cars that use the COP system if water gets down into the spark plug hole it can cause arcing to occur which leads to misfires and symptoms like you described.

Richard
    Do you think if it indeed is what you say, its fixable? A quick fix? Any permanent damage?
    • JoYRiiDE

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think if it indeed is what you say, its fixable? A quick fix? Any permanent damage?
    O yeah very fixable and no permanent damage. The COP is probably 250.00 since it is a BMW. And a new Spark plug. No big deal really.

It is essentially a spark plug wire going bad on you at least in simple terms.. These new cars do not have distributors like in the old days. Everything is controlled by sensors.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot man... I`m not saying this is exactly whats wrong, but gives me a bit of hope to maybe get a phone call tomorrow letting me know my car is ready.
    • JoYRiiDE

Post Thanks / Like

Car`s ready. It indeed was a spark plug.

How can I avoid these things in the future? Do you think the probabilty of the cause was from me or the nature of the spark plug?
    • JoYRiiDE

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Service engine soon :(

Joy, I don`t have an answer on how to avoid future problems (other than buying a Honda next time ), but I am pleased that you`re getting your car back for the weekend!
    Stay safe!
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norahcrv
    Joy, I don`t have an answer on how to avoid future problems (other than buying a Honda next time ), but I am pleased that you`re getting your car back for the weekend!
    Stay safe!
    I think in the near future I would much prefer to own a daily driver honda and have some type of s2000 or mazda miata to play with on the weekends. Usings up your funds on one car, and have it give these type of issues is not fun. Especially when you can use that same money to own one super reliable daily driver and one fun spirited weekend track car.
    • JoYRiiDE

Post Thanks / Like

Car`s ready. It indeed was a spark plug.

How can I avoid these things in the future? Do you think the probabilty of the cause was from me or the nature of the spark plug?
    One way to avoid this from happening again is to Not use water on the top portion of the engine. If memory serves me right there is a cover that covers the COP and the plug area and if you have water run across the top of that it infiltrates it`s way down into the spark plug holes and causes the arcing condition i spoke. These parts do fail so do not worry about it. They are pretty reliable parts overall but like anything they will and do fail.

Do not take this wrong but i myself would not own any type of German car be it a BMW, MB etc. They are nice cars and all but they are very very expensive to maintain and repair. Like i say anyone can afford to buy one but how many can really afford to maintain one. You could not pay me to own one. And one big thing with them is when they go bad they go real bad and can get very expensive. Just wait until you have to have the brake done. Your going to be looking at close to 700-1000.00 for a brake job.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

One way to avoid this from happening again is to Not use water on the top portion of the engine. If memory serves me right there is a cover that covers the COP and the plug area and if you have water run across the top of that it infiltrates it`s way down into the spark plug holes and causes the arcing condition i spoke. These parts do fail so do not worry about it. They are pretty reliable parts overall but like anything they will and do fail.

Do not take this wrong but i myself would not own any type of German car be it a BMW, MB etc. They are nice cars and all but they are very very expensive to maintain and repair. Like i say anyone can afford to buy one but how many can really afford to maintain one. You could not pay me to own one. And one big thing with them is when they go bad they go real bad and can get very expensive. Just wait until you have to have the brake done. Your going to be looking at close to 700-1000.00 for a brake job.

Richard
    I know what you mean. Its not even soo much to say that its more expensive to "MAINTAIN" than a honda, because thats one of the issues I have never had a problem with, but its the issue with having silly things break down. To own a german vehicle out of warranty is no fun. Even though you can afford to fix, its the fact that it went wrong in the first place and now you can`t drive it.
    • JoYRiiDE

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. Its not even soo much to say that its more expensive to "MAINTAIN" than a honda, because thats one of the issues I have never had a problem with, but its the issue with having silly things break down. To own a german vehicle out of warranty is no fun. Even though you can afford to fix, its the fact that it went wrong in the first place and now you can`t drive it.
    Yeah but it happens with all vehicles no matter the make or model. Don` tlet it worry you.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear you have yours sorted out. My 3 years 9 months old 320D has spent more than 3 months with the dealer ...how much more, I don`t know, I stop counting after 3months...I pay a lot of money each month for the car and I treat it well, you cannot find even 1 door ding on the car...(except scratches and swirls compliment from visiting the dealer),still it fails me every few months, I`m tired of visiting the dealer and getting a Honda pretty soon before it empties my wallet (again)
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information