Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowering my 540i BMW

I`m going to replace the shocks and struts here in the next month or two...I wanted to LOOK at lowering the car about one inch....I`m wondering who here has done this on their car and what you learned from it, what problems you had if any and what to look for in springs and so forth
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lowering my 540i BMW

I dropped my 99 Pontiac Grand Prix some time ago, before I traded it off.
    I used KYB Struts and Eibach springs. I did it myself. Had to buy spring compressors. An air compressor would be handy if you can get ahold of one.
    One thing I had to do, was cut about 1 inch off my bump stops, to keep it from bottoming out. I had no vibration, no need for a camber adjust, no need for an alignment, but all factors are different. Not too hard. I think I did it in less than 2 hours. Though I had a lift and air.
    Before....

After....

Think it was a good 3" drop all 4 corners.

Problems......I don`t think I really had any. You could feel more bumps from a stiffer ride, but I got used to it and never noticed after wards.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I don`t have the mechanical ability to do the work myself..I kind of figured the ride would be a bit more stiff

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Stiffness of the ride will be completely controlled by what type of springs you use to do the drop. For example, my roomate has Tein suspension in his Civic and that is a HARD ride because the springs are set up for road course and don`t have a lot of give to them, but I lowered my GF`s Integra using Progress springs and stock shocks and there was almost no perceptible change in the ride whatsoever. I recommend you find a good BMW mechanic or after-market shop and talk to them about what spring/shock combo is going to be right for the type of ride that you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LastDetail
    Stiffness of the ride will be completely controlled by what type of springs you use to do the drop. For example, my roomate has Tein suspension in his Civic and that is a HARD ride because the springs are set up for road course and don`t have a lot of give to them, but I lowered my GF`s Integra using Progress springs and stock shocks and there was almost no perceptible change in the ride whatsoever. I recommend you find a good BMW mechanic or after-market shop and talk to them about what spring/shock combo is going to be right for the type of ride that you want.
    Thanks and I agree with you on that one.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at H&R springs. It`s possible they may have an OEM+ solution that would lower your car no more than 1 inch and retain the ride quality.

Post Thanks / Like

do a search on bimmerforums.com

bavarian autosport (www.bavauto.com) sells lowering springs that handle wonderfully but without the harsher ride of other springs. i sell them for 3 series cars, maybe for the 5s too.
    -Carly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by palomino
    do a search on bimmerforums.com

bavarian autosport (www.bavauto.com) sells lowering springs that handle wonderfully but without the harsher ride of other springs. i sell them for 3 series cars, maybe for the 5s too.
    Thanks I have a thread already on the BMW club forum but thanks allot

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with H&R or Eibach springs with Bilstein Sports for a more agressive "ride," or I would do OEM Sport Springs with Bilstein HD`s for improved handling with stock like ride.

Post Thanks / Like

i dropped my stang about 2" with eibach progressive rate springs, i also added tociko shocks and struts, granatilli upper and lower control arms, polyurethane isolaters and most importantly caster/camber plates, if you don`t have a factory adjustment of your caster/camber you need the plates, lowering your car will throw your alignment out and eat tires.

it now handles worlds better than stock but i did sacrifice a lot of ride quality, i like the sporty feeling of the lowered car but i must admit it can be a pain on torn up roads and trying to get into anywhere steep, i bottom out all the time, luckily my crossmember acts and a sheild to absorb the impact you might not have such a ride quality problem with your bimmer though, i`d go with coilovers if they make them for your car.

oh yea and as far as looks and stance, it`s friggin sweet

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that`s quite an impressive ride you have love the stangs...

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The DETAILS count. ;)
    Post Thanks / Like

You will probably want to look into Eibach, or H&R Springs
    HR either the OE sport, or the Sports
    Eibach the Pro-Kit
    You will have an assortment of Struts to choose from, which in the end will boil down to how much money you are looking to spend. With tokico and KYB they both have warranty on their struts, but i believe it doesnt cover cars dropped over 1 or 2"s. Good luck with whatever you get

Post Thanks / Like

dave my truck has a 6/4 drop and it rides smooth with the stocker wheels on it because i have the short shocks and a c notch in the rear .. what makes mine ride rough is the 35 series tires on 20 in rims .. if you have some sidewall on your tires it should be fine .. you might need shorter bump stops on it so you dont bottom out on them .
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

The afters may look a lot lower, but just remember I also painted the plastic trim around the before pics...thats only a 1inch (maybe a lil less) drop all around.
    2003.5 Desert Platinum Infiniti G35 Sedan
    Biweekly Routine---Wash: Foam gun + NXT Wash (Microfibers), then topped with #16 or OCW.

Post Thanks / Like

I lowered a 94 540 that I used to own. I pretty much did all new suspension at the same time. I used H&R springs and bilstein sport shocks. IMO it was too rough over any bumps. The car was harsher then my Z06 was. If you have over 50k miles you might as well have them replace the upper and lower control arms too. They will start giving you problems soon. Tell them that you want the heavy duty bushings put into the control arms from the 750.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information