Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My new 06 997 Porsche Carrera S!

Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: My new 06 997 Porsche Carrera S!

Quote Originally Posted by Deanski
    Funny, I started looking into the Z06, but after driving a Porsche C2S there is no way I could accept a Z06! And, I`m a former L-88 Vette owner (`69) and which I still had that monster. Yes, the Vette has gobs of HP and Torque, but interior SCREAMS GM, steering feels like you`re driving a much bigger car and not as responsive. Oh yea, it is noisy, hot and after you park it, enjoy the smell of melting plastic! The interior gets alot of road noise from tires and other noises, it gets hot as hell in there. I guess it`s from using balsa wood floor wrapped in carbon fiber. BUT... If you`re a muscle-car person, then the Z06 is for you. Next, try to get a test drive...Most dealers have them in showroom and will not let most test these things.

I myself love to drive fast around corners, handling and feel is what I like. OK, so maybe It`s not as fast off the line, but in the twisties, it`s damn fast, sounds great, looks great, interior is the best "P" car yet. Steering is by far, the best feel!

As for price, well, how much HP stuff do you want? Let`s see, I added Sport Exhaust, Sport Shifter, Adaptive Sport Seats, Sport Steering Wheel, Porsche Ceramic Brakes, Aerokit, Sport Chrono, Bose, Nav, and a few other items. Now the C2S starts at $82K. Add all that... $117K. And thats not with the X51 power upgrade another $17K for only 26HP... NOT!

So the Vette is a bargin, but if you want to drive it all the time, be ready for noise, hot and unresponsive steering feel. But you have 500HP! BTW, don`t believe all you read in Motor Trend. That rag is HEAVY GM influenced! Besides, compare 500HP to 355HP...Now if it was a GT3 or Turbo, now you have a better match!

My "P" car will be a WE car for now. Oh yea, no ceramic paint. Soft as hell Porsche paint!

Regards,
    Deanski
    Whats happening Deanski. Congrats on your car coming in. The pics are awesome. I am not going to debate you on the Z06 vs the Porsche, they are both awesome cars and each have their own strong points. Funny, I must be the opposite of you because I would love the P car for all the same reasons you do but I could not take delivery of the P-Car because of the 355 hp. You obviously have not driven a new Z (for obvious reasons, unless you know somebody with one dealers won`t let you) since they are VERY quiet and comfortable now. Actually too quiet. They are more like a caddilac than the old Z06 which is a negative trait IMHO. But I am not going to argue about quality, as much as it has been improved it is still no where near that of the Porsche. Regardless, your car is freaking awesome. I love the front end, is that stock or an option? It almost looks like a Turbo bumper. The wing is awesome too. All it is missing is 150 hp. ;-) j/k Enjoy it, it truly is a world class car and right up there with the new Z06, F-Cars and many other world class performers. The brakes and belts are a real nice touch. Did you get a leather dash? Anyway, congrats and enjoy. I am sure it is going to look unbelievable after they are done with PO85RD, Z2P, and Z8.

Post Thanks / Like

I DID drive a new Z06 (took some effort to get it out of dealer) which again is a damn fast car, lots and lots of HP/torque! It will get away from you very fast! Love the HP/Torque in the Z06. But, as for any GM car, it just screams GM! If they improve the fit/finish, man they`d pull some other buyers from yother markets as the handling is also very nice and fast. I highly advise people if they want the best bang for the $$, you can`t go wrong with a Z06!

The Aerocup Kit is a Techequip option for the 997 straight from Stuttgart. The brakes are Porsche Composite Ceramics or PCCB`s. Got the seatbelts to match. Exhaust is also a Techequip option (Sport Exhaust) which can be switched on/off at will. Same for the PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) I can set it to normal or sport. Sport button also re-maps the ECU for faster throddle response and Vario-Cam actions. The ful interior was done in leather, dash too. Have the Adaptive Sport Seats (never move in these) Sport Shifter as well.

It`s one sick-ass car!
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: My new 06 997 Porsche Carrera S!

Quote Originally Posted by Deanski
    I DID drive a new Z06 (took some effort to get it out of dealer) which again is a damn fast car, lots and lots of HP/torque! It will get away from you very fast! Love the HP/Torque in the Z06. But, as for any GM car, it just screams GM! If they improve the fit/finish, man they`d pull some other buyers from yother markets as the handling is also very nice and fast. I highly advise people if they want the best bang for the $$, you can`t go wrong with a Z06!

The Aerocup Kit is a Techequip option for the 997 straight from Stuttgart. The brakes are Porsche Composite Ceramics or PCCB`s. Got the seatbelts to match. Exhaust is also a Techequip option (Sport Exhaust) which can be switched on/off at will. Same for the PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) I can set it to normal or sport. Sport button also re-maps the ECU for faster throddle response and Vario-Cam actions. The ful interior was done in leather, dash too. Have the Adaptive Sport Seats (never move in these) Sport Shifter as well.

It`s one sick-ass car!
    Funny you mention fit and finish, the Z06 I drove had excellent fit and finish, but, I have seen some with very poor fit and finish. It/GM is not consistant with their quality control which isw a shame and needs to be worked on. But as you said you CANNOT beat it for bang for the buck. And you are right, it can get away from you pretty quick if you are not on your A game. That is one of the things I love about it or should I say I love about having an abundance of hp/torque.

That Aerocup option you are talking about sounds awesome. Was the front bumper part of that techequip option? Too bad you are not closer, I would love to go for a ride in that bad boy. Nothing like a clean black ride, be it a Porsche or Z06, it is just such a sinister look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrDetail
    Funny you mention fit and finish, the Z06 I drove had excellent fit and finish, but, I have seen some with very poor fit and finish. It/GM is not consistant with their quality control which isw a shame and needs to be worked on. But as you said you CANNOT beat it for bang for the buck. And you are right, it can get away from you pretty quick if you are not on your A game. That is one of the things I love about it or should I say I love about having an abundance of hp/torque.

That Aerocup option you are talking about sounds awesome. Was the front bumper part of that techequip option? Too bad you are not closer, I would love to go for a ride in that bad boy. Nothing like a clean black ride, be it a Porsche or Z06, it is just such a sinister look.

The issue isn`t fit and finish... both are up to normal GM standards, which is to say fine, but not amazing. The issue is the same on the Vette as it is with every other American made car: the interior material quality is garbage.

Sorry, but if I`m laying out that kind of cash, I don`t want cheesy plastics, poor leather, and the switchgear out of a Focus.

The Vette may perform, but until GM realize there`s more to it than that, they`re not going to sell any substantial number of cars in Europe (or to me), where the Vette and the 911 aren`t so far apart in price.

It`s no wonder GM and Ford have lost collasal amounts of market share to imports....

Post Thanks / Like

awesome 997 that is easily a $90,000ride.I hope that the ford ranger that parked so close to your sweet ride doesn`t ding it. That is some brave stuff parking that car at an apartment complex? I hope that you are at least the owner of the building, especially if you are driving that 997. They don`t offer those at enterprise do they?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dq7256
    awesome 997 that is easily a $90,000ride.I hope that the ford ranger that parked so close to your sweet ride doesn`t ding it. That is some brave stuff parking that car at an apartment complex? I hope that you are at least the owner of the building, especially if you are driving that 997. They don`t offer those at enterprise do they?
    The Ford Ranger is my company truck.

I park her inside a garage at our condo. Just took it out for pics.

With all options, let`s just say it`s past 100K!

I love driving this thing! It`s soooo much fun!

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)

Post Thanks / Like

Dean,
    Been away for awhile. Great looking car! How many pre-printed tickets did give you Anyway, enjoy. It looks like a great car to bomb around in.

Later,
    Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, one fun car to drive around and listen to as well when the PSE is opened!

Getting ready for a few coats of Zaino on her very soon. My Z5 may be a bid old, so I had to order some more.

They did an outstanding job on prep on this car! And yes, they started with the menzerna P085RD I left them and then finished with the glaze as this is pure black! No marks what so ever on the finish!

Good thing I have Armorglove on it! They improved the film quite a bit! You can`t tell it`s on the finish unless you`re really close and look at it from the side.

Oh yea, this model now has an electronic dipstick. Before you start it, you can check the oil level in several seconds. Nice touch!

The Sport Chrono pack is wild as it has sooo many options to pay with. I even have the electronics logbook, which you can pull off the PCM via infrared to a laptop.

One thing to note with Porsche engines when it comes to cleaning/detailing, there IS a layer of Cosmoline type film on the underside and it`s left there for a reason to keep the aluminum from pitting. DO NOT WASH IT OFF! I called the dealer on this and that`s what it`s there for. In fact, one of the service schedules inspects for it and adds it if needed. I thought this was to be removed, but stand corrected! If you detail a Porsche engine, LEAVE IT ALONE!

Good thing on the PCCB`s, no brake dust! Wheels are not too bad to clean like the sport wheels, which ARE a pain. These are not as bad and some have their wheels colored the same as the body. I missed that opportunity as it went into production before I could change the build.

Interior is full leather in black as well. Nice quality and not to bad to clean as I did not opt for the softer leather. Seats are the best I`ve ever been in and can be adjusted in so many ways to hold you in. Headrests have the Porsche crest on them.

Aerocup Kit is nice and gives a more aggressive look. Just have to be carefull driving down driveway inclines to street as it can scrape the front spoiler.

I also have the K-40 Bluetooth radar/laser installed front/rear for added protection.

I also had Sirius installed by using a Cayeene`s satellite kit to keep the factory look w/o using outboard devices. Since discovering it CAN be done, several owners have requested the kit to be installed in their 997`s. Now Porsche NA has gotten wind of it and has removed the kits from stock at this point. They do not want dealers installing these as it has yet to be "approved" by Porsche. No one knew if it would work, but after checking software/hardware on both the 997 and Cayeene, it`s the same. Give it time and Porsche will re-release a new TIB for adding one to a 997. Until then, all Cayeene owners who want satellite will need to give a valid VIN to have a kit released to a dealer. You watch, they will re-pack these kits and want more $$ for a 997 version.

One day, I have to record a WAV file and try to upload for all to listen to.

More pics soon as I get the Zaino on her!

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car, I especially like the Aerocup kit, that front bumper really makes it. Are you going to autocross it or do any track days? I can only imagine what that paint will look like with a few coats of Zaino on it. Does it have any orange peel or is it perfectly flat. I have been surprised by a lot of the top end cars like MB and BMW that come from the factory with OP.

Post Thanks / Like

The finish is pretty flat, very very little OP on it as it was polished with the Menzerna prior to any glaze.

I`ll be tracking it one day when I get the chance! I still have to finish break-in till 2000 miles.

I love the Aerocup Kit on this car! On black, it looks mean as hell (which it is) and with the PCCB`s it just adds that much more special touch! Only problem with the rear is the spoiler really attracts dust like mad on the rear cover. That`s the only downfall.

Zaino will be applied as soon as I get a fresh bottle of Z5. I have a fresh Z2 and ZFX, and I forgot to get the Z5. The new Z8 is one nice QD! Just got my DF Towels washed and ready.

Black Porsche paint is so nice, but so damn soft! It`s easy to get toweling marks on it!

I hope to bring it to the Poorboy`s detail meet that day!

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread Information