Post Thanks / Like

Grand Cherokee Starting Problem

Wanted to see if anyone has heard of this problem. I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee and for the last couple of weeks, it has not started right. The first time you try it, it will turn over and crank, but will not start. Then you turn back the key and try to start it again and it will start right up. I have gone through a few tanks of gas, so don`t think it is bad gas, tried fuel injector cleaner as well, but nothing. Next, I think it could be the filter or the pump. Any ideas from anyone out there??? I have an appt with the dealership, but don`t really want to take it there.

thanks,
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same Jeep but have never had that problem. I`d guess that your fuel line is losing pressure and after you crank it for a minute it charges that`s why it starts up on the secind time.

One problem that I do have is the rotors warpped at 23K and now at 38K they have done the same thing. Jeep says its the calapiers and have a replacment part for it but will not cover it.

You had any brake problems
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought the Jeep about 2 months ago with 39K miles on it. They put all new brakes on it then. The only problem I`ve had with the brakes is that they are "very squeaky". They said that it is because the are higher quality brakes that they put on in order to make the vehicle Jeep Certified and that those brakes are better, but are a little noiser. I don`t know if I believe that, so I am going to see if I can get that fixed as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know they have brake issues`s with this model, my negihbor had the same probelm as me but he was under warrenty. This is my 3rd Jeep and maybe my last if the dealership will not take care of this, I`ve never had a car that warpped the rotors in less than 13K miles

The reason for squeaky brakes is the pads are harder than the orginal ones. My BMW was that way7 until I replaced them with softer ones. It dusts a bit more but no noise
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm sounds like it could be something minor.

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

What it sounds like is the fuel pump is not getting enough fuel to the engine to fire it up. Try turning your key to only the ON position, and see if you can hear the fuel pump prime (short whinning noise).

If you car is running just fine after it does start, I dont think your problem is the fuel pump. Otherwise it would have problems at lower RPMs.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the brakes check out www.wjjeeps.com they have all the TSB`s Listed for all model years of the WJ 99-04 Grand Cherokee Laredo-Limited 4.0 I6,4.7 V8,4.7 HO.

For Problems and Fix`s try www.jeepsunlimited.com. Good luck with your jeep When I got my jeep in 2000 it would die at idle after burn in period it stopt and never did it again.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I had a starting problem with my berretta, and it turned out to be the computer not telling the car to start. if not that, it could be the battery, the altenator, or even the fuel pump.
    To find out what was wrong with my car, i let the shop have it for about a week and when it wouldn`t start for them, they hooked the diagnostic (bad spelling) to it and it told them what was wrong, you might want to try that too.

Hope your Jeep starts smoothly soon!

J£§§¡Ã‡Ã„ :bye

Post Thanks / Like
    What is your gas level in the jeep? Believe it or not if it is showing a 1/4 tank or less, the guage may be broken. It happened to me and I wasted all sorts of time and money replacing the filter, pump etc. Another thing that went out on me was my O2 sensor after 40,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 97 Grand Cherokee Limited and I have the EXACT problem. I`ve had it checked out at several garages, had regular tuneups, and searched the internet all over. What it comes down to is a problem with jeeps, nobody knows how to fix it. This is a common problem and yes I know its VERY annoying. Several (sp?) people in my area have the same problem as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the problem fixed. There is an O-ring between the fuel pump and the gas tank. If that O-ring goes bad, it will not allow fuel to stay in the lines, which causes you to try a couple times to build up pressure in the fuel lines. The part is only $25 to fix it, but about 4 hours labor to remove the tank and everything to get to it. Hope this helps some of you.

Thread Information