Post Thanks / Like

i want a little extra, what can be done?

hey guys,

well this is the deal. i own a 330i with logic7 sound system. hopefully some of u own or have driven in one equipped and can relate to my question. it sounds great, clear, everything a decent non "ghetto thumping" car would be expected to sound like. from what i know the car already has 2 subwoofers under the seats but i want just a bit more kick.

currently im driving with my bass +3

and my treble +2

sounds nice but i would like a small little hit here and there.

by no means am i going to ever put more than one sub with a crazy amp.

(already did that once with my previous cooper, putting to rockford 12`` subs with a 1200 watt amp. never again. it completely drestoyed my interior by making it rattle and sounded tooo distorted, and ghetto, but hey, i was 16 and in highschool)

i was actually thinking about a 8" sub in the trunk and maybe a amp running 200 watts maybe.

what do u guys think about that? any suggestions. mind u i HAVE no knowledge about car audio and that combo i put together has no real depth of knowledge.

if u guys can give me a good suggestion, that will give me good sound quality for ONLY me to hear and non sound bad it would be great. also, another big deal is to make sure its not dumping soo loud that it causes rattles in the future.
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

Re: i want a little extra, what can be done?

Redhotsx9,
    use to install highend radio and audio equipment maybe he can help you.

Post Thanks / Like

You just have to match the components, what ever speaker you get look at the RMS rating (RMS=continues power or watts). Get an amp that pushes the same RMS rating the speaker is asking for. I`m going to try and explain how to read an amp...
    Example: A 2 channel amp has a power rating of lets say 800 watts max, and has a RMS rating of 400 (continuous power) now divide the RMS rating by the number of channels the amp has. In this case 2 channels...so 400rms/2 channels gives you 200 watts RMS each channel is giving. This is just a general preview of how to read them it gets a little complicated when you get into Ohm reading, but for a basic system nothing fancy this equations works.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Iwas thinking about one of thoose self amplified subs.
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

Those will work but remember they will always under power them to insure they don`t blow (costing them money). Smart on there part but are you getting what you pay for.....probably not you just have to read the specs to see what you`re getting. When you go shopping don`t be fooled by the sales man (most don`t know how to read an amp in the first place) they pull you into the sound booth to listen how great they sound. Keep in mind they will be in a car and not a booth designed to "amplify" the sound using sound waves. Further more amps can only give as much power as they are given so in a store the amps are getting a constant 14v while in a car the amps are getting what ever the alternator is producing which varies with RPMs.......Didn`t mean to complicate thind just to help you shop wisely and get the most per $$, I had a buddy in the business so I learned the "tricks of the trade" and how to read products. This was a few years ago but they seem to still hold true, check up on cruthfield.com the have articles to help you shop properly. To end this (I promise) check out www.ikesound.com they have awesome prices on speakers and amps and they are located in Ft. lauderdale or near there so it will be at your door the next day or two. Good luck....
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Thread Information