Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Synthetic or Dino motor oil?

Changing oil is not one of my favorite tasks, so I try not to do it as often. On the GP, I use synthetic oil and change every sixth months. I`ve run Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil and German Syntec. My best wear numbers came from the German Syntec 0W-30. Right now, it has Mobil 1 10W-30 in it. I have a bunch of Pep Boys Buy 3 Get 3 Mobil 1 coupons, so I`ll be using that stuff from now on.

The wife`s Envoy is a lease, so that oil gets changed per the onboard computer (as per the manual) with Mobil 1 5W-30. It`s at 8,000 miles since the last change and the light still hasn`t come on. I also use Lube Control in the oil for both cars every 1,000 miles or so to keep the oxidation level down. I`m going to do an oil analysis on the Envoy oil to see how well the Mobil 1/Lube Control held up. It`s the new SL formulation, so I`m curious to the effects.

Regular dino oil is probably good enough. But, why settle for good enough? Also, does anyone else find it funny that people are willing to pass around the useless "Don`t buy gas on xx date" emails to protest the oil companies, but they won`t do something as simple as extending oil change intervals past the antiquated 3,000 mile standard? How much less oil would be used if we all simply follwed the owner`s manual instead of the oil companies?
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P

Regular dino oil is probably good enough. But, why settle for good enough? Also, does anyone else find it funny that people are willing to pass around the useless "Don`t buy gas on xx date" emails to protest the oil companies, but they won`t do something as simple as extending oil change intervals past the antiquated 3,000 mile standard? How much less oil would be used if we all simply follwed the owner`s manual instead of the oil companies?
    I agree whole-heartedly, except I would use the extended intervals as set by the synthetics` recommendations as a guideline instead of the vehicles owner`s manual: 7,500, 15,000, 25,000, 30,000 - indefinate w/oil analysis (as MANY diesel OTR trucks do)
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I am pro synthetic and use it in every engine even the two strokes. My choice is Mobil 1 due to cost and it`s available everywhere.

Having said that, today`s regular oils are better than ever, some even rival the synths. Motorcraft blended oils are a superior value as Havoline is in a dino oil.

I prefer the superior cleaning ability of Mobil 1 and the cold start protection. Just my choice, it`s not right for everyone. I do all my own oil changes so there`s no labor charge involved which keeps the costs realistic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSRstilez
    I currently use Mobil1 SuperSyn 5w-30 on my 100k miled teg. The more people I talk to tell me to go to the Mobil1 Super Syn 7500 series. It has 18% more cleaners in it to get rid of built up gunk over time. Just noting...
    They are incorrect, it`s the EP oils that have a more robust additive package. The 7500 is a blend.

Post Thanks / Like

I still firmly believe that the Mobile 1 15,000 mile ED oil is the exact same oil as before and the 5,000/7,500 mile oils have had their additive packages played with so they could make them lower cost "alternatives." It seems awfully odd that Mobile 1, which is supposed to be the best, was only good for 3,000 miles (or according to them, the maximum mileage in your owner`s manual) then suddenly they develope extended drain invterval oils.

BTW, I DID write to Mobil 1 asking them why their drain intervals were so low, when AMSOIL is rated for 25,000 +/- and RED LINE OIL is rated at 18,500. Their reply was "Our oils have been tested to 25,000 miles, although we can only recommend the maximum mileage listed in your owner`s manual."

On another interesting note, this was BEFORE they announced their 5K, 7,5K and 15K oils.

Things that make you go Hmmm....
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

How could Mobil advertise this if the EP oils were unchanged? You`re looking for problems where none exist!

You`ve never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a new high-endurance motor oil with 50 percent more Supersyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean

The 5000 is regular Mobil dino oil.
    The 7500 is a synthetic blend.
    The EP is above.
    The standard M1 is unchanged.

Where did you come up with the 3000 mile deal? That just isn`t so. The maxumum specified in the owner`s manual is for cars in warranty. Cover their arse? Certainly!

I`m NOT trying to start an arguement! I just don`t agree that ExxonMobil is falsely advertising their oils.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=RTexasF]

Where did you come up with the 3000 mile deal? That just isn`t so. The maxumum specified in the owner`s manual is for cars in warranty. Cover their arse? Certainly!

QUOTE]

You`re probably right, but even so they are being a *bit* overcautious especially since AMSOIL and REDLINE openly warranty their oil for 25K and 18.5K respectively AND the Magnusson-Morrison Act states that the car manufacturer must prove the aftermarket part caused a failure, which means that as long as you followed the oil makers recommendations for change intervals, the oil company is now liable if damage occurs.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information