it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP! Oil Question??

Hello:
    Well today I decided to change the oil on both of my parent`s cars today to help increase gas MPG and because they were past 3k miles. Anyway while I was draining my father`s car, I decided to check all the fluids on my car, mainly the oil. I had a hard time reading my dipstick, but it seemed to me to be a little low. I`ve also read on CRSX that RSXs seem to "eat" or "burn" oil rather quickly, so I decided to add about 1/2 quart to my car. Not really paying too much attention to the quart of oil, I immediately added around 1/2 quart. As I was putting it back on the shelf, I realized it was the wrong grade, 10W-30. Since I have a bunch of Valvoline oil with different grades which I mistakend 10W-30 for 5W-20
    My car needs 5W-20 according to the oil cap and the owner`s manual. I`m now freaking out, wondering if the 1/2 quart of 10W-30 will effect my car at all. I have yet to start my car, i`m now considering changing my oil, even though I still have a little under 3k miles till my next change. According to the manual it says to use 5W-20 on the base model (my car) and 5W-30 for the Type S. If I had a Type S, I really wouldn`t think twice, because in my Ford, GM and Toyota owner`s manual they all said to use 5W-30 if temps get below 0 degrees, if not then you can use 10W-30. I`m now wondering if the 10W-30 will totally screw it up, or if i`m overreacting? Any help on the topic from any "oil gurus" or anyone else knowledgeable in the subject would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    :punk:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP! Oil Question??

The difference isn`t that much, you probably won`t notice any change. It certainly won`t make your engine explode if you start it up. I wouldn`t worry about it, just make sure you check the bottles next time, you might not be so lucky to pour engine oil if it happens again.

Post Thanks / Like

Your engine won`t know the difference you could put straight 10w30 and the engine won`t know it. The first number represence the "weight" of the oil while cold in this case 5w and the 2nd # is what "weight" the oil is in while hot in this case 20. So putting 10w30 in a 5w20 is not a big deal at all, while a bit thicker (weight wise) there is nothing to worry about.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like

You`ll be alright man. Don`t sweat it. As for the RSX`s burning a bit of oil, this should NOT be happening at all!

Post Thanks / Like

I concur....there is nothing to worry about. You could have put a 1/2 quart of 50 weight without harm. It will change the viscosity of the 5W20 so slightly that it would take a lab to see the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

you may also want to check the owners manual becuase they may list a range of oil for your car for different outside temps and driving conditions. I know with my wrx that it state on the oil cap 5w/30 but when i looked in the owners manual it states that i can use 10w/30 oil also. I have switched to 10w/30 mobil one synthetic due to my car`s turbo cooking off the 5w/30 dino oil. Check that manual and you should see that you will be fine even if you completely changed over to 10w/30. The 5w/20 oil is a thing that is recommended by some car makers to help promoted better gas milage.

Andrew

Thread Information