Post Thanks / Like

400 dollar window tint job rant!

i was soo shocked today at how expensive a set of tints for a mercedes benz can be. apparently regular window film doesnt quite work right on mercedes benz "s" class models (maybe other models as well), do to the fact that there are sensors and antenna wires on the window. regular window film doesnt let the antenna recieve or send signals. something liek that. so because of that my mom had to put ceramic window tints which came out to 400 dollars.

i ahve never in my life imagined something soo rediculous. BMW, Lexus, ect have no problems with windows. MB is the only vehicle with this particular problem.

im ranting for no reason because it isnt my money, and my mom really didnt make a big deal out of it, so ima making it for her!

any of u guys heard or done this?

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 400 dollar window tint job rant!

Wow thats a whole lot of money. Never Heard of the whole tint won`t let signals thru. I`ll have to research that cause wouldn`t it be the same for a nextel not working thru normal tint? It sounds like window tinters have benz owners in the palm of their hand.

Post Thanks / Like

wow thats high.Most new tint has stainless sputtered in the glue to prevent fade.We use dyed film for Benz,Lex and so on. dyed film sucks but what can you do. any car with an antenna in the glass it will kill the reception.But $400 is robery.I would charge same or lil less as normal two or four door. Tint supply company`s do charge a "cut down" fee if you order enough to do a car and not a full roll but not enough to charge that much.We charge by number of doors or suv and so on.The owner shouldn`t be taken to the cleaners because they have a high dollar car.people like that make it hard for the honest guy to get work. nton

Post Thanks / Like

Is it the F1 tint? That stuff is expensive, but it is replaced for free if you ever nick it or anything at all happens to it. Plus, it`s guaranteed to never fade.

Post Thanks / Like

we first began shopping around for tint at the dealership. we asked if they did it or if they recommended any place. they told us that mercedes benz windows dont quite work with window tint and that it would now be advisable. we kept looking around and this place apparently knew the situation. they said that the tint would have to be ceramic.

either way i doubt ceramic film is worth that much. but with an average consumer and good wording anything is possible.

i did happen to notice that there were pictures of celebs who have tinted there.

the location is called "solar tint computer cut" w/e the hell that means.

but like i said, if indeed mercedes benx does have that problem where a special film is needed then thats just down right ridiculous. the place specified that no other luxury car requires it. not even rolls royce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer
    Wow thats a whole lot of money. Never Heard of the whole tint won`t let signals thru. I`ll have to research that cause wouldn`t it be the same for a nextel not working thru normal tint? It sounds like window tinters have benz owners in the palm of their hand.

somethign about the navigation systems frequency..

either way, if it was me i would have gotten the regular window film and waited for something to happen. rather than jumping on the bandwagon and letting some dope make some eay money out of my mom...

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    the location is called "solar tint computer cut" w/e the hell that means.
    The computer cut part means that they invested in a high dollar program that has the specs of every window for almost every car on the market. Probably from the 80`s on. They have a ploter that they put the roll of film in and a small razor cuts out the shape and all they have to do is put it on. It cuts down the time by i would say 75%

I`ve invested in a similar program for my sign and car graphic business. It allows me to pull up a template for any car from the early 80`s on and design, say a set of flames or stripes with no guess work. I simply cut them out on a ploter and apply them with ease. Isn`t technology great?

Post Thanks / Like

yeah it has something to do with the metal in the tint.

Klasse addict!
    Post Thanks / Like

Most European cars require ceramic tint to prevent interference with NAV, SAT radio and other reception based electronics. Another advantage is the solar energy blocked by high quality films. Huper Optik and Pinnacle both make excellent products that are definitely worth the money. They can block upward to 70% of solar energy, resulting is less fading of your dash and a cooler car (inside and looking!).

I sound like I should be selling the stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

how much is regular tint for like 1 window installed?

Post Thanks / Like

im not sure but i paid 120 bucks for my tint jo. i got a lifetime warranty. they werent ceramic though. they have some sort of metal in them tho. 5% in the back, 15% in the front.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted a Formula One Ultimate tint installed, it was going to be 400 or so with a group deal. Some areas are inflated due to areas (NC Grrr!) and F1 is pretty reputable. I bet that brand was installed and it was Premier or some line to deal with signals.

Post Thanks / Like

heh! so i guess a tint job that expensive isnt ridiculous after all.

i on the other hand was "mute" when they said that.

Thread Information