Post Thanks / Like

What do Body shops cost for...?

My dad`s `02 Sebring Convertible was hit in a parking lot over the winter and the driver drove off. He`s wanting to get the bumper fixed finally and I`m wondering as to what kind of a bill can be expected. The bumper is far gone enough that it will probably need to be replaced. About how much would a bumper replacement with full paint (on the bumper) cost, lower grille and all?
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do Body shops cost for...?

i would figure 125-200 for the prep/paint work alone. plus the cost of a front bumper which i would buy and supply the body shop so they don`t make money on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of using the Chrysler body shop, that`s the only place I could think of that could supply a bumper. Are there other places to get that?

125-200 isn`t as bad as I thought. I`ll have to call around to get a firm price, thanks for the ballpark, I won`t get overcharged.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.

Post Thanks / Like

$698.72 for my RSX-S` rear bumper replaced and resprayed. But make sure you inspect the work when your dad picks it up. I just got my car back a week ago and there was orange peel in some spots that I had to tell the painter 3 times to get out.
    Superior Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Carollo
    $698.72 for my RSX-S` rear bumper replaced and resprayed. But make sure you inspect the work when your dad picks it up. I just got my car back a week ago and there was orange peel in some spots that I had to tell the painter 3 times to get out.
    That`s a lot! I`m going to call around to some shops on monday to see what everyone is charging. I`m thinking that I should ask to see some of their work before I have them do the Sebring, what bad signs should I look for? (Overspray, Orange Peel, Color Match, etc...)
    Rides

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubafeak
    That`s a lot! I`m going to call around to some shops on monday to see what everyone is charging. I`m thinking that I should ask to see some of their work before I have them do the Sebring, what bad signs should I look for? (Overspray, Orange Peel, Color Match, etc...)
    I would hope that they would paint the bumper while it was off the vehicle then put it on so overspray shouldn`t be an issue if the bumper needs to be replaced.

The orange peel should be equal to the rest of the car, or hopefully less, and if not, then you should request that they fix it.

If it`s a different color, then that isn`t what you payed for.

-Shaun
    Superior Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

If I the job is done and it`s not up to my standards how should I go about that? Obviously I tell them that the work is insufficient, but my dad drives this car every day and can`t have it out of comission for too long.
    Rides

Post Thanks / Like

wassup tuba (how is Dublin these days? used to live there - behind the tuttlecrossing mall) -

any hoo - get it up front in writing - easiest way - make sure they offer a swirl free/defect free guarantee... and what they do if it`s not done right the first time - when you do pick up the car - insist that you see it inside the shop under the flourescent lights and not out side - the an over cast day or bright sunlight can hide a lot of flaws - the buzzing lights inside a shop are unforgiving!
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

That`s a great point. I was thinking of bringing my own lights along, also a loupe and a magnifying glass. Some S&W too, just to make sure they didn`t put any sort of glaze on it to cover up a bad job.
    Rides

Thread Information