it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations for aftermarket brake rotors?

As the title says i`m looking for some recommendations on brake rotors and pads. This isn`t for the RSX, but for my cousin who just bought a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee last week. Apparently a really big problem on these trucks is that the brake rotors warp prematurely, like 10,000 miles :bigscream . Right now his are kinda warp and the guy said he already cut them, so he`s looking to replace them. He told me while searching the web the problem lies with the OEM rotors, and a majority of the people said if you get aftermarket rotors you should be fine. So i`m looking for some recommendations of a good aftermarket brake rotor. It doesn`t have to be something insanely crazy, I know he already priced Baer and Stillen and they are way out of his budget. I was thinking maybe something like Brembo or Raybestos? I haven`t got any prices yet, but i`m just wondering if anyone can recommend me a good rotor/pad that is affordable.
    Thanks in Advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for aftermarket brake rotors?

Raybestos makes a nice slotted cross drilled rotor (this may help keep them cool and prohibit warping) for not a ton of money. I think they`re called Brute Force. Tell him to make sure that his calipers aren`t frozen when installing new pads or rotors, better yet replace them or rebuild them if in doubt. This will help to insure longer life and no rotor warping. I`ve had mine on a 2002 F-150 for a year and been happy with them.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I have Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted. Yes I know thats not how they are from Brembo but I don`t do any AutoX. They look sweet and stop nice. I think I`ve had em for about 20k and no warping whatsoever, just smooth braking.

Got em on ebay BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaCkaL829
    As the title says i`m looking for some recommendations on brake rotors and pads.
    You did not state 4x4 or 4x2 so I did a search on a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 in your area using the zip code
    here`s what I found at the autozone site
    http://www.autozone.com/
    Click on "shopping"
    Click on "Brakes & Traction Control"
    chose " BRAKE ROTOR - FRONT"

There ya go

"and a majority of the people said if you get aftermarket rotors you should be fine."
    If you are running a STOCK set up you do not need to have a drilled rotor, if by chance you have over sized you tires and or rims you might want to think about up grading you rotors to drilled or slotted,

I do not know why they cut factory rotors ! most of the time they are to far gone for this to be done, Cutting a warped rotor don`t make sense either.

I have in the past worked on 90-91 Grand Cherokee`s and don`t know if this problem still exists, but I have had the rotors break away from the hub assembly. this was due from the salts/calcium that are used on the winter roads in the North East. there were recalls done on this type of failure so hopefully Jeep fixed the problem.

some recommendations of a good aftermarket brake rotor.
    DURALAST
    ROTOR ONLY Part # 5118 Price $39.99

VALUCRAFT
    ROTOR ONLY Part# 5118B Price $21.99

something insanely crazy,
    BAER_DECELA
    PAIR Part# 5118-020 Price $210.99
    Prices are EACH.

I was thinking maybe something like Brembo or Raybestos?
    Don`t know about the Brembo`s but the Raybestos go on the patrol cars I work on and if they cant warp them, they must be good.

Good Luck Hope this Helped
    Rich
    Beercan

Post Thanks / Like

I have had Raybestos pads and rotors on a few of my vehicles, with no complaints.

Good luck
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

Brembo and Wilwood. Top notch quality. I had Wilwood 4 pistons caliper on drilled 13 inch rotors and I cant tell you how much they helped out. But it is alot of change from the pocket. Baer is also a great brand.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a real rotor that is truly manufactured for race cars and comes standard equipment of Ferarri and many new Benz. I have gone with POWER SLOT. I have them on 2 of my cars and the factory is here in Los Angeles. The price is Great!! And the pads are really amazing.
    :beer

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Beercan how did you know my area code, you found it through my location? Well you really hit the nail on the head, because my cousin ended up buying a set of Duralast at Autozone this afternoon. They come with a pretty good warranty, so he should be alright.

Post Thanks / Like

Trade secret Jack, Trade secret.
    Beercan

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought Raybestos after finding out many low priced (read: cheap) rotors are foreign made & have low nickel content. I was told this makes them more susceptable to rust & warping, two "qualities" I`d rather avoid.

Slotted rotors can be tough on pads, they have a Cuisinard-type action that cleans (shaves??) the pad on every revolution to provide a clean pad surface but pad life is dramatically reduced.

Cross-drilled rotors can crack around the holes if they`re not chamfered properly & the structural integrity of the rotor can be compromized if the holes are drilled through an internal cooling vane.

Just my $.02
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

X2 on NYVs post

I have had very good luck with Power Slots, but I would stay away with anything drilled you get what you pay for.
    These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Thread Information