Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wife is pregnant, looking for new vehicle! Need advice.

Congrats.......get used to being called Dad.

We have three children, 3,5,7 and the "first car" is a extended Chrysler LXI minivan. It can hold three " baby seats" side by side on the rear bench. We took the seats with us when we shopped to be sure they would fit. Just a thought if you plan to have more then one child.

The Camry would get my vote if I could ever travel that lite with the family.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a GM fan especially with the deals on right now Saturn are good but maybe a little 4 door truck like the Colorado IIRC they’re getting in the mid 20s mpg easy, but I think anything over 12 mpg is good.
    These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!

My honest opinion, is that the new cars for 25k are going to loose their value way to much, and youll get nothing on a trade in.

I would look toward a 2 year old 3 series Bimmer, or a 2 year old Mercades. Both can be had with 40k or less miles and under 30k.

I would also look into the Jag, whatever the 30-ish k model is new.

My .02 of coarse, but for the same money, i would pick one of those.

Don't forget the pedals!
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as you`re starting to grow your family (congratulations!), I don`t think GM would be a very good idea, as they have really bad resale value in case you need to change it up down the road. Quality isn`t the best on all models, either.

I second the Murano as they`re bigger than most people think but get very nice gas mileage and still retain a great powertrain. For something smaller, maybe look into the Volvo V50...nice little wagon, a little bigger than the Focus wagon.

Post Thanks / Like

You all are great! I really appreceiate the advice, and it gives me a lot to think about. I`ll welcome any more opinions, keep em coming

Post Thanks / Like

Get the Toyota Sienna 8 seat model CE (5328) or LE (5338). 3.3L V6.

They feature the "Front and Center" middle-seat feature in the second row...a clever middle-bucket feature that brings a child forward to within runny-nose-swabbing reach of Mom or Dad.
    370HSSV

Post Thanks / Like

You should look into maxima`s. Powerful enough to have some fun (when the babies not with you), big enough to carry all the baby junk and reliable. I don`t particularly like the current model, but I love my `95 and an `02-`03 would be even better. You could probably get an 02-03 in the $15-20k range depending on miles and condition.

You might also be able get into a G35 for $25K...beautiful car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kimo
    My parents have had outbacks for the past 10 years. (Leased) I was never impressed with their engines. They always felt really sluggish and revved higher than I am used to.

Thanks Jared

I also like the Mazda 6 hatchback, but I was under the impression that (no offense intended) any Mazda that didn`t start with RX was crap

I looked at the mazda website and they look like a nice car - 220 Hp?! Pretty decent, and more than I expected.

Do any of you own one of these?
    I would personally suggest the new Legacy 2.5GT. The sedan is fairly roomy (I`m going to be a dad for the first time next February, so I was looking for something roomy), has good power (250 hp & 250 ft/lbs torque), reliable (just heard Subaru passed Honda for reliability), and all wheel drive for the winter. I paid $25200, and that was when they first came out last year. 12,000 miles and I still love the car (jngrbrdman has one also, but a Limited edition). Hope this helps some.

-Neil

Post Thanks / Like

I too purchased a new vehicle for my family recently. Based on your list of features, you may consider a Toyota Highlander or Toyota Sienna. Both are reliable, about $25K (depending on model), ample storage space, easy to drive, and 20+ mpg. However, it probably won`t be as fun to drive as a Passat. I think the Highlander is based on a Camry, so your wife will like it.

I used Edmunds.com as one of my sources. Good luck in finding a vehicle to fit your needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information