Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Reliability for lots of miles. (150k to 200k)

Since my old mini-van has about 150,000 miles on it, I thought I should start thinking about a replacement.
    Some of the issues involved:
    1. Has to be a mini-van.
    2. I am a GM fan, but have owned Ford and Chrysler products with good luck.
    3. Some of my questions/concerns;
    (a) GM intake gaskets are a well known problem on the 3.4 engine, but I have a good idea as to the cost of replacement. I can accept that risk.
    (b) Ford 3.8 engines have a headgasket problem that may or may not be corrected in the past few years. This cost is unknown to me, but I will be checking it out shortly.
    My interest here is if it is a problem that Ford has corrected in 2002 or later years.
    (c) Ford has had some transmission problems as well. Is this corrected in later years, 2002 to date?
    (d) Chrysler transmissions have been less than reliable, but I have been told that a good transmission repair facility can correct the factory problems if you have to have one rebuilt.

If I limit myself to GM, then I don`t have a lot of used vehicles to look at.
    I have been very satisfied with the Pontiac, but the simple fact is, There`s just not a lot of Ventures or Montanas available.

If I include the Windstar, there`s lots more of them. I do like the vehicle, but I don`t like the 3.8 reputation. (Which may not be deserved anymore)

If I include the Chrysler products, the market is full of them, but the transmission reputation bothers me a little.

Given what I know, the $500 to $600 GM intake gasket replacement sounds better than the $1,500 to $2000 for the head gasket replacement on the Ford. (Which might reoccur) The $1500 transmission repair on a Chrysler product doesn`t sound that appealing, but if it was a one time thing, I would factor it in when shopping for a vehicle.

How about some comments/input?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reliability for lots of miles. (150k to 200k)

Instead of choosing a vehicle where you know what you`ll have to replace, why not choose a vehicle that won`t wear out? I know more than one Honda Odessey driver with more than 200,000 miles on their ride. If I ever buy a mini van then its going to be an Odessey. That`s not just because I like Hondas either. They are good looking vans that have a lot of the comforts that I like.

I`d never buy a Ford anything unless it was a truck. I`ve got no love and not respect for any of their other automobiles. GM is slightly better, but still has nickel and dime issues at certian points. My Hondas have been the most trouble free lowest maintaince vehicles I have ever driven. Granted I`m only 29 years old, but I`ve had Hyundais, Chevys, Fords, Subarus, Hondas, and Toyotas. Out of them all the Hondas were the most reliable. Hyundai threw a rod. Chevy threw 3 rods (lots of engine replacements). Subaru eventually died of electrical problem at 260,000 miles. Honda never ever had a problem. Sold a 10 year old Accord with over 160,000 miles for over $5000. Ford blew a head gasket under 100,000 miles. Toyota was pretty reliable, but the 4wd broke on my 4 Runner after 4 years and the clutch went after only 60,000 miles.

Maybe I`m just unlucky with the rest of em... but the Hondas never gave me any problem at all. If you haven`t looked at the Odessey, then you should take a peek. They are really quite nice.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    Maybe I`m just unlucky with the rest of em... but the Hondas never gave me any problem at all. If you haven`t looked at the Odessey, then you should take a peek. They are really quite nice.
    Unfortunately, I have looked at and priced them. To justify the difference in cost of buying a used Montana or a comparable Odyssey, the Odyssey would have to last 2 to 3 times as long.
    Also, the cost of parts or repair of the Honda is much higher. Price a starter or an alternator for a Honda compared to a GM.
    I don`t question the Honda Odyssey quality or reliability, I just can`t justify the price.
    Also, just try to find a good used one at any price.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

That`s why they are so great. They hold their resale value because people know they don`t break down. Parts may be expensive, but that is just to offset the fact that they won`t sell many replacements. I understand the cost thing though. They are the Ferarri of mini vans and don`t come cheap. Hopefully by the time I need one I`ll be a gazillionaire. Hmmm... I better get working then. :lol

Post Thanks / Like

My father has a Ford Windstar. For about 2 years now has about 60k on it No problems. Runs well ect. I personally hate driving it as it feels like a boat but then again I drive a Mustang and a Sable. There is plenty of room seats come in and go out easily ect. I think they changed the model name to the Free star. The one thing Ive come to like though is the Power sliding doors and opening lift gate .. .You don`t think about it .. but its the little things that are nice!
    There is only one boss.THE CUSTOMER! And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down,simply by spending his money somewhere else!

Post Thanks / Like

Honda Odessy is would be my first minivan choice by a long shot...And I live in the Motor City. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Also, the cost of parts or repair of the Honda is much higher. Price a starter or an alternator for a Honda compared to a GM.
    Everyone says this! I have owned a 90 Civic an 2001 Civic and parts for them both where no more than any of the domestics I have owned.

Post Thanks / Like

The windstar 3.8 head gasket has been long repaired along with the mustang 3.8. I should know I worked at Ford as a tech helper with the recall came through. God I hated doing them but once the recall was done "correctly" they never came back. Believe it or not besides the head gasket they were never in for any serious repairs at least while I was there for 2yrs.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like

I have an idea...Instead of a Windstar why not go for the Mercury minivan that is the same as the Windstar (I totaly forgot their name). I heard those have Nissan engines in them.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    I have an idea...Instead of a Windstar why not go for the Mercury minivan that is the same as the Windstar (I totaly forgot their name). I heard those have Nissan engines in them.
    Actually, the Mercury mini-van is a rebadged Nissan Quest. And that series of Nissan engines doesn`t have a stellar reputation, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Actually, the Mercury mini-van is a rebadged Nissan Quest. And that series of Nissan engines doesn`t have a stellar reputation, either.
    Oh ok. I can see it now. LOL I thought the engines were supposed to be better but it is the other way around?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone says this! I have owned a 90 Civic an 2001 Civic and parts for them both where no more than any of the domestics I have owned.
    My only experience with a Honda was my son`s Honda Prelude. It needed a cam seal and a transmission seal at different times, in something less than 70,000 miles. Synthetic oil was used and changed every 3,000 miles with all other service intervals done per the owners manual. Good car? Yes. Great car? No way. Then there was the rust problems that you see on most Honda fenders. I didn`t even have to tell the body shop where it rusted through. They told me over the phone with the comment "that`s where they all rust".

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok. I can see it now. LOL I thought the engines were supposed to be better but it is the other way around?
    Just my opinion, but I think the Honda and Toyota engines are extremely durable, but not totally trouble free. I also think the other Japanese auto makers have benefited a great deal from the Honda/Toyota reputation.

Charles

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Charles, we`ve only owned 1 minivan, a `89 Plymouth Voyager. Bought it new and ran it for 7 years and 150K miles. At 99k it required a valve job and a replacement transmission. On the transmission, the shop let us know that the unit wasn`t even worth rebuilding. The transmission shop is a family owned and operated shop which has done work for three generations of my family, I trust their work and their word. The vehicle was meticulously maintained. Oh yeah and let`s not talk about the peeling paint on the hood and leading edge of the roof. Chrysler offered no remedy. It will be a long time before I would trust a Chrysler product enough to purchase one again.

As for the myth that is the ultimate reliability of Hondas. We bought into that myth when we bought a used (2 y/o) `98 Civic EX (@ 50k miles) for our daughter. It`s on it`s third AC compressor and according to Honda, this one too may be short lived. That has been the most expensive mechanical repair, but not the only one. Cosmetically paint and body could be compared to a late `70s Japanese vehicle (that`s not a compliment).

I personally like the look (fit and finish) of the newer Nissan Quests, but haven`t had the opportunity to drive one. We rent a minivan each year to drive on vacation. I`ve been in a few over the last several years.

Good luck on your search. BTW why a minivan? Aren`t you past the "soccer mom/dad" time in your life?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks to those that have responded. Whether or not I agree with your opinion, it is still good to hear from others.

The Ford 3.8 headgasket problem seems to be much less common after 1998, but I do get a kick out of the dealers at the auto auction. The first thing they do if a Ford has a 3.8 motor is smell the exhaust for coolant. The Windstar looks good if it no longer has engine problems.

The Odyssey would probably be my first choice were it not for the fact that they cost almost twice as much on the market a couple of years old. They might be better, but I`m not convinced they are twice as good.

The 2003 Grand Caravan I looked at this week made such a clanging sound when I closed the sliding door that I was afraid I had caught the seat belt buckle in it. That was just the normal sound of them. The transmission problems seem to be occuring in well over 50% of the Chrysler owners I have talked to and I think they have been crossed off my list.

I also think that any Nissan engine problems are pretty much behind them and I like the looks, fit, and finish of the Quest as well.

My reason for wanting the mini-van is our trips to the lake. With a car, you have to be sure to pack everything just right so you can fit it all in. With the mini-vans, (we have had them since the fall of 1987), you just open the doors and throw stuff in. When I have to give up the lake and boating, the van will no longer be needed.

Charles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information