Post Thanks / Like

Question Sagging Headliner

Has anyone had luck with spray adhesives or other methods for getting a headliner back up and staying there.I have 1967 tbird with a perfect headliner but it has seperated from the cardboard or fiber board backing.
    Thanks for the help. Bob

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sagging Headliner

Yes I used to do that very often when i was restoring Camaros and Firebirds and Mustangs. The headliner needs to be removed with the cardboard backing. If the liner is in good shape and has some elasticity left it can be stretched and reglued. If the headliner is kind of shot, it`s better to get some new material and glue it on.:hippi
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the fast responce steve,what type and brand of glue do you reccomend?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I always used 3m super heavy duty spray adheasive..get it at a body shop supply as you want the glue and aerosol to be fresh..
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, if I`m not mistaken that headliner on that car is material with foam backing applied to cardboard backing, if so then what has happened is foam backing has broken down and disintergrated and no adhesive will help,to get better idea try going to place that deals with that and ask for free estimate and what process is to fix it.

AWD + 5k = :)
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe I can help with this one. My headliner was shot in my 91 Talon when I got it. I removed the entire headliner, material, and foam back. Use a wire brush to get the rest of the old glue off the foam back. JoAnn Fabrics here sells headliner specific material. It`s not real cheap, but I think I was able to do my whole headliner for around 25 - 30 bucks. The glue you want to use is made by 3m. Here`s a link to the place I bought mine from.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=340-270

It wasn`t hard to do the whole job, and it probably only took me an hour start to finish. You`ll want to spray the glue on the back of the fabric and the foam back in both horizontal and verticle directions. Then carefully put the fabric on the foam and make sure you don`t have any creases. I started from one corner and had my friend hold the rest of the material off the foam back. Then just work it in. Be careful because that glue dries quick. Then i just trimmed up the rest and reinstalled the new headliner in the car, and it looked good as new.

I believe I have a link to a write up of it at work. Let me know if you need it.

Good luck.

Thread Information