Post Thanks / Like

Bumper Plugs Installation

I no longer need a front license plate here in Florida so I after taking a while deciding whether to install an Audi logo plate or trying to get the cleanest front bumper look possible, I decided to opt for the clean look. ( I do have a nice 3D emblem plate on the Caddy) I needed two pairs of custom painted Bumper Plugs to get this look. I had to wait for a while for all of the plugs I ordered to complete production before they could be shipped to me but it was exciting when they finally came.

I uninstalled the front license plate holder and polished spots of the area now exposed. When they finally arrived, I installed the four Bumper Plugs, which are made for a perfect fit for the Ľâ€ť holes in the bumper. As stated by the Bumper Plug instructions, dealer drilled holes on non Porsche vehicles need to be made drilled larger to fit the Ľâ€ť diameter. Thanks to my friend Ken, having the courage, which I did not for doing this for me .

As you can see from the red markers I drew on the photos, there was a slight outline in the paint where the plate holder was and some spots near the exposed holes that were in need of polishing.

Unfortunately, the screws that had held the top of the license plate that was once there had made small, shallow pin holes in the bumper and half circle shaped indentations around themL
    I hoped once the Bumper Plugs were installed they would detract from those two spots. I tried a very close work touch up job on the pin holes. I broke out my old bottle of Langka following painting and for these tiny spots, the results are half decent, about the best I could’ve hoped for. The half circle indentations are discouraging. Other than those, the rest of the exposed area inside the perimeter of where the plate holder sat seemed defect free.

The portion of this area where the bumper curves downward into its vertical side also needed some attention, by an Autopian`s standards . Even I have to admit it is extremely minute. It sorta resembles a very tiny version of road rash one would see in the clear on a wheel. I was thinking perhaps of getting a hold of some 10,000 or 12,000 grit sand paper and see if I can improve that as well as those half circle shaped indentations because trying to polish by hand in this tight and awkward area probably wouldn’t yield the kind of results I expect but otherwise, that too is relatively minor. Filling with clear might be option also :nixweiss No rush to try fix it, if I do (don’t want to dig myself a hole ) and these things may truly be a case of “to leave well enough alone”. However,I do welcome feedback about addressing them.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bumper Plugs Installation

Upon a wipe down with Prep-All, I used a PC with a 4” white LC polishing pad and 3m PI III MG to polish most of the area . Around the “road rash-like” and half circle marks in the paint I tried Menzerna IP and a yellow cutting pad. No notable improvement. These minute, grainy-textured defects don’t seem to be a candidate for correction via PC or Cyclo and one must be extremely careful of paint heating up on a bumper with any thing more aggressive so I continued to play it safe. That’s why the very high number wet sand paper came to mind. I made a final pass with the PI III MG over the entire area.

I followed with a typical Klasse-Souveran topping. The Bumper Plugs have also received the same treatment. This beats the hassle of a body shop fill-in fix risking unknown results ( can always be done at a later date if I find a super shop) or getting a new bumper all together.

If you don`t like the look of the key holes in your doors, (and, of course, use a functional remote) the keyhole plugs are a very attractive touch to the car`s appearance. I`d highly recommend them :up These were the items that delayed my shipment but they were worth the wait. :up I wish the photos turned out better

You also probably noticed the clear film over the door handle cup. That’s simply a piece of clear static cling-on plastic, following the idea of paint protection film. I just shaved the pieces to fit under my door handles the best I could. I do understand Stongard makes exact door cup guards like these. I would imagine trying to squeegee them on into place in these spots could be challenging though. I’ve had my version for quite some time now and I’m pleased with them.

Here are my attempts to capture the overall look of the car now with the Bumper Plugs.

Also, here`s the Caddy`s front look with its 3D emblem plate:

As an alternative to Bumper Plugs themselves, you could go to an auto parts store and find plastic retainers intended for trim or body splash guards or fascia which accommodate a Ľâ€ť hole. The retainers themselves would have to have a smooth texture, nothing grainy. If you’re savvy at spray painting you’d probably have to carefully layer several coats of OEM spray paint. This should do it for a lot less $$ although it appears to me the Bumper Plugs are professionally baked and cured.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

nice audi.....i got the same one.

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

NO liscence plates in the front in florida.! just one more reason why i wanna move down there.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! No inspections=no stickers in the window at all too! :dancin

Thread Information