Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Running New Mobil Synthetic Oil??

So I just saw the new Mobil 1 commercials....they now have 5,000/7,000/15,000 synthetics available now. I run synthetic in the Vette, and it has an on board life remaining meter, but I typically change every 5,000 miles. The Explorer is running on regular oil, but it now has 67,000 miles on it and just got new tires, so I`m thinking of converting over.

1) I only run 11,500 miles on the Exp. per year and change the oil every 4,000 miles. In reality, would I be doing more harm by putting in the 5,000 mile (change twice a year) or the 15,000 mile (change once a year)?

2) If you run either of the above two, should you change the oil filter more often than once or twice a year still? (I`m assuming so).

The Explorer is running great. In April, it will be 6 years old, so I`m keeping less than 12,000 miles/year on`er. I wasn`t much of a maintenance buff in my earlier years, but in the last year or so have been doing more things myself. I just replaced the serpentine belt last week and went ahead and did new spark plugs, fuel filter, but was wondering if I should be looking at anything else?

I appreciate your help guys!!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Running New Mobil Synthetic Oil??

You should be changing the oil filter with every oil change. The oil filter is the thing responsible for allowing your oil to stay in good condition. I highly recommend Mobil 1 oil filters as well.

Check out this site when you get some time. Lots of answers there: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I would change my oil filter with every change and even though you dont drive but 11,500 a year, I would still change it every 3 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by probegt
    I would change my oil filter with every change and even though you dont drive but 11,500 a year, I would still change it every 3 months.
    Agreed. Honda recommend I change my oil every 5,000 but now the new Subaru they tell me every 3,750 or something weird. I always do it every 3,000 and ALWAYS change the filter. I actually think that changing the filter is more important than changing the oil on time to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it has been mentioned on here many times but check out the forum at bobistheoilguy.com. You`ll get some really sound advice from the experts on the subject, much like people come here for opinions on detailing. There has been some recent skepticism regarding the formuation Mobil 1 SuperSyn with their new line coming out. I have personally decided to convert over to Royal Purple for a few changes until some definitive information is found. As the others have said changing the oil filter is just as important as changing the oil, and at $5 for a PureOne or $9 for a Mobil 1 four times every year it is a cheap insurance policy.
    Seeking Donations: Recently Diagnosed With Terminal Senioritis.

2005 Chev Cavalier, Black
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the skepticism? That`s what I run...5W30 SuperSyn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunshine
    What is the skepticism? That`s what I run...5W30 SuperSyn
    There are many people over at Bob`s forum that run tests themselves and/or interpret data from tests done on motor oil from places like BlackstoneLabs.com. Recently the Mobil SuperSyn line has been lacking the regular amount of constituent elements (Mg, Fe, Cu, etc.) in their oil. There are a number of people who believe that with the new line of extended life Mobil Synthetics that the SuperSyn line took a downturn in terms of performance. Right now it is a pretty hot topic and there are alot of people convinced that Mobil did reduce the quality of their SuperSyn. These tests are run all of the time so if Mobil just had some bad batches of oil or something this just may be a fluke but if the tests remain I will be switching indefinately. This is not because the newer formulation would be that much less of a product than their old one but just for the fact that they would switch and not let it be known. For the mean time I am going to run some Royal Purple or Amsoil when I change my oil next weekend. Go lurk around for yourself over at bobistheoilguy.com and read some of the posts, really interesting stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

For sure guys, an Oil Filter is changed at every interval for me. I talked to my Dad about it last night after he saw the commercial, and he said that if you go with the the 15,000, change the filter at least 3x during the year. However, if you change the filter, expect to add about a quart afterwards.

...They have a cool one over there. Jeez, all that I need is another forum :nono
    Nick Carberry

Post Thanks / Like

This stuff must be the new wonder oil...

If I go longer between oil change intervals, do I need to change my oil filter more frequently? Or do I need a special filter?

Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters, or more frequent oil filter changes are not required.

However, Mobil 1 Oil Filters provide outstanding performance during longer oil change intervals. Mobil 1 Oil Filters are designed to offer excellent efficiency (remove more engine oil impurities) and high capacity (60 percent greater capacity than conventional oil filters), which make them ideal candidates for longer oil change intervals.

Post Thanks / Like

I really do not trust the 15K oil change regardless of any test results, owner manuals, ect. If you have to change the filter every 3-4 months you might as well change the oil then too, its not a long or tremendously hard process, getting the filter off is the most difficult part! My father and uncles have been changing their oil every 3K for their entire lives (synthetic more recently) and we probably have the lowest occurance of engine problems of any family on the planet (except the Amish) , knock on wood. I really do not believe that it is purely luck so under orders from my father and family I am still going to change every 3K. The target for these new 15K oils are definately either 1) high milage people who drive 40K+ yearly or 2) the all too typical lazy american. But this is just an opinion, of course. Routine oil changes are a really cheap (about $100-125 yearly for premium oil) insurance policy on the life of your engine. Learn to change your own oil and using the best oil around is still going to be less than half of getting it changed at the dealer with the crap they use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MS22
    I really do not trust the 15K oil change regardless of any test results, owner manuals, ect. If you have to change the filter every 3-4 months you might as well change the oil then too, its not a long or tremendously hard process, getting the filter off is the most difficult part! My father and uncles have been changing their oil every 3K for their entire lives (synthetic more recently) and we probably have the lowest occurance of engine problems of any family on the planet (except the Amish) , knock on wood. I really do not believe that it is purely luck so under orders from my father and family I am still going to change every 3K. The target for these new 15K oils are definately either 1) high milage people who drive 40K+ yearly or 2) the all too typical lazy american. But this is just an opinion, of course. Routine oil changes are a really cheap (about $100-125 yearly for premium oil) insurance policy on the life of your engine. Learn to change your own oil and using the best oil around is still going to be less than half of getting it changed at the dealer with the crap they use.
    Well, they say you don`t have to change the filter until you change the oil. I just can`t beleive this. Maybe I am too old school? I mean, wouldn`t a big compnay like Mobil One lose money if everyone switched to a 15,000 mile oil? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I look at it from a crunchy granola perspective. Extending drain intervals reduces the amount of oil that is dumped/recycled and reduces teh amount of oil that is need to run our little country.

In the vast majority of cases, the 3,000 mile concept has long expired. Modern engines are just fine on even regular dino oil for 5,000 miles or more and 7,500-10,000 on standard synthetic oil. The only motors I would be more cautious with would be a turbo. I`d run a full synthetic, but I`d test after 3,000 miles to see how the oil was holding up.

For my Grand Prix, I run six month intervals. It equates out to about 6,000 miles or so. On the Envoy, the manual states to change once the "Change Oil" light comes on. I`ve run two 3,000 mile intervals on dino and one 6,000 mile interval on synthetic. I`ve got 7 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 SuperSyn in there now and plan on changing when the light comes on. I`m curious to see the interval. I have no fears of the oil not holding its own.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think so Bob. I just find it amazing for them to release a 15,000 mile oil, and moreso, I find it odd to only change the oil in my car once a year. I personally do not change my own oil. I know how to and have done it before, but for $20-25 (and even less sometimes) for regular oil, it`s not worth the effort to go get the oil and then to dispose of it. I know some have a passion for doing the service themselves (sort of like detailing), however, I`m just not into changing my own oil at this point.

I guess from all that I have heard and read, it`s just a better idea to run synthetic oil. So my question would be, if I go to Mobil 1 5,000, would I be in good shape to change my oil AND filter every 5,000 miles??
    Nick Carberry

Post Thanks / Like

The 5,000 is dino oil. The 7,500 is a Synthetic blend. Regular Mobil 1 is fully synthetic and Mobil 1 EP has a beefier additive pack than regular Mobil 1.

I would go regular Mobil 1 and change every six months (along with the filter).

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Mobil 1 with a Purolator filter. I still change my oil in the 3000 to 3500 range.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information