Thread: Code Reader?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Code Reader?

Is there an inexpensive code reader for a 1998 Pontiac TranSport?
    I`m looking for some way to read the code an "airbag" warning light would have set and a way to reset it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Code Reader?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Is there an inexpensive code reader for a 1998 Pontiac TranSport?
    I`m looking for some way to read the code an "airbag" warning light would have set and a way to reset it.

Charles
    the airbag is not related to the cars PCM and you wont get any codes from it. And there is no other way to get codes from an OBD2 PCM without a scan tool.Autozone will read your codes for free, but like i said the airbags are unrelated to the PCM.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
    the airbag is not related to the cars PCM and you wont get any codes from it. And there is no other way to get codes from an OBD2 PCM without a scan tool.Autozone will read your codes for free, but like i said the airbags are unrelated to the PCM.
    Thanks.
    In typical GM fashion, the problem is now gone. The "airbag" light now goes through its test cycle and goes off.
    I just love it when cars fix themselves.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

i work at a pontiac dealer and under the drivers seat, connected to the drivers seat belt plug in is the airbag control. you might want to have it checked out by a repair shop as it can affect the air bag performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Take off your negative terminal on your battery for about 30 minutes. That may reset the light. It resets the CEL.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximv1
    i work at a pontiac dealer and under the drivers seat, connected to the drivers seat belt plug in is the airbag control. you might want to have it checked out by a repair shop as it can affect the air bag performance.
    Thanks for the information. Is the control under the drivers seat in a 1998 TranSport mini-van? The reason I ask is that my Haynes manual shows it under the front passenger seat.
    The only thing I would probably do is check to be sure a connector hasn`t come unplugged. After reading both the Haynes manual and the Clymer manual, I think airbag troubleshooting is better left to those that know something about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    Take off your negative terminal on your battery for about 30 minutes. That should reset the light.
    The light is operating normally now. Flashes the seven times and then goes off and stays off which seems to be what it is supposed to do.
    :dunno

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

hi charles, i will double check at work today and post later. i will also check our gm info website for any recomendations.

Post Thanks / Like

hi charles, i checked the gm info site and with one of the tech`s at work. the module i am thinking about on the drivers side wasn`t installed there until 1999. that is why it is different in your manual. the gm site went through a wiring diagram for diagnosis, and the tech i talked to said airbag concerns can be pretty tricky if you not familiar with wiring and electrical repairs. i wish i could have been more help.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximv1
    hi charles, i checked the gm info site and with one of the tech`s at work. the module i am thinking about on the drivers side wasn`t installed there until 1999. that is why it is different in your manual. the gm site went through a wiring diagram for diagnosis, and the tech i talked to said airbag concerns can be pretty tricky if you not familiar with wiring and electrical repairs. i wish i could have been more help.
    Thanks for checking. The manual I have stresses that servicing the airbag system shpuld be done by trained personnel. That`s not me.
    The manual also says that the airbag controller should set a code if the diagnostic system shows a malfunction. If it does it again, I`ll take it in and have things checked out.

Charles

Thread Information