Post Thanks / Like

redline vs. mobil 1 extended performance (new 15k one)

which one do you all thinkis better ? are either of these oils even full synthetic base stock PAOs ? i just want the best for my car and these two seem to be the least shady brands. amsoil is too unreliable because they dont manufacture their own additive packages so it varies from batch to batch and additive company. mobil 1 seems stable as hell and wont turn from 5w20 to 15w50 in 5,000 miles. but red line seems like its doing good business too.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: redline vs. mobil 1 extended performance (new 15k one)

well i cant vouch for either of those brands of oil. If you truely want the best oil out there, look into Royal Purple Synthetic.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0311_Lifer
    which one do you all thinkis better ? are either of these oils even full synthetic base stock PAOs ? i just want the best for my car and these two seem to be the least shady brands. amsoil is too unreliable because they dont manufacture their own additive packages so it varies from batch to batch and additive company. mobil 1 seems stable as hell and wont turn from 5w20 to 15w50 in 5,000 miles. but red line seems like its doing good business too.
    Our choice in synthetics was based a lot on availability. If you have need of some in a hurry, it`s awfully handy to be able to go to any of several stores and pick some up.
    For that reason, I would lean towards the Mobil 1.

FWIW, We have used Quaker State full synthetic for years, but the most miles we have ever put on a vehicle is 176,000, so I don`t know how good it really is.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve run German Syntec, Mobil 1, Royal Purple and Amsoil in my Grand Prix. The German Sytec showed the best wear numbers when doing analysis.

In reality, Amsoil, Mobil 1, German Syntec, Redline and Royal Purple all are excellent oils. Like wax, there is no one "best" oil. Different engines respond to different oils. The Virgin Oil Analysis on Mobil 1 EP (15,000 mile) looks pretty solid. I plan on giving it a try if I can use my Pep Boys Buy Three Get Three Free coupons on it. Right now, I`ve been running six month intervals of about 6,000-7,000 miles.

Try http://www.bobistheoilguy.com for more than you ever wanted to know about oil.

Post Thanks / Like

:yeah

They are all good oils. Ive used Mobil1, Redline, and Royal Purple and think they are all about the same. I use Mobil1 because it is readily available locally (wallyword).

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the oils you mentioned are quality products. I don`t believe you can go wrong no matter which one you use. I use Mobil 1 because it`s the most available oil in my area.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like

I run Mobil 1 in the 100k+ Civic and it runs as good as it ever did. I also saw an increase in mileage and swear I picked up a couple of hp. Mobil 1 seems to be more available, and less expensive because it is at Costco. A huge plus in my book. It is also the recommended oil for BMWs, and the Lancer Evolution.

For kicks, I`m going to try Amsoil next to see if there is any difference worth paying for.

I`m sold on synthetic because of all of the above benefits. I was taken with the story of the guy whose car stopped running because it overheated from a lack of oil. He was using Amsoil, so when he refilled it, the car started right up again after it cooled down. I used "was" because a co-worker said his wife did the same thing with conventional oil, and she hasn`t changed her oil in forever. The car is still running today.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Mobil 1 and like it. I figure I pay per oil change what others are paying to have someone else do it. Even with my low mileage vehicles, I change every three months. I`m not sold on the extended wear business because I dont think the filters are designed to work that long.

My excuses for using a synthetic are. 1. Several short trips (only 10 miles to work). 2. Consistent Formula 3. I like to get on Supercharger!

Post Thanks / Like

yea im going to go with mobil 1 5w-20 like ford recommends just to be safe and a k&n oil filter because they are so easy to install haha.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll tell you of an oil that is better than both of those, two words ROYAL PURPLE. Here is a very well written write up that talks about all oils. http://www.ottawaprotege.com/viewtopic.php?t=272

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both AMSOIL (I was an AMSOIL dealer for 2 years, never made money, just broke even after advertising expenses) and Mobil 1 products. I found no noticable differance in performance between the two oils. They both work well but Mobil 1 is alot cheaper and can be bought at the local parts or discount store. The oil filter I recommend are NAPA Gold filters. They are built very well and last 10K miles. I run the Mobil1 oil and NAPA filter for 10K and then change both. Just dont visit the local or chain quick lube stores, they use the cheapest oil filters that barely last 3K miles.

Thread Information