Thread: Sub suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Wanted to get the suggestions on a good sub for my 350Z. HU is a Kenwood 7015, amp is a Mcintosh MC431 amp, Focul Utopias up front. Space is a major concern in the car as I dont want to be building a gigunda box, as I won`t keep this car forever. My only other "requirement" is the brand itself.....I sort of like keeping things off the beaten path, so I am looking for a top quality sub from a higher end company. I know the standard answer when it comes to "which sub" tends to be "which JL", but for this car, I am looking to go with something a bit different

thanks in advance!
    Adam

Z1 Performance

www.z1auto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Adire Audio, Incriminator Audio, Resonant Engineering are a few that come to mind. Whats your budget? What are you looking for, sound quality or to be loud?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re on a budget these would have to be my favorites:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/category...e=subs&cur=USD

Post Thanks / Like
    well, a budget within reason...I am not trying to drop $1000 on a single speaker

All about SQ, not into earth rattling bass. Some have suggest Image Dynamics?
    Adam

Z1 Performance

www.z1auto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Then Resonant Engineering SE line would suit you well for SQ, as would a sub from Adire Audio. ID is also a pretty good choice.

you could visit caraudio.com and check the forums there for help, or go to http://forum.soundillusions.net/ and check out those forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Diamond Audio.

Post Thanks / Like
    im planning on getting a W6 in the future but i also have right now a Audiobahn Alum10q or something like that and it hits pretty solid on my JL 500.1 but if i hook itup to my 500x it hits ok. My little brother bought some subs and theyre alright. I havent heard too many subs at all so im partial to JL since ive owned a WO & a W3. but i do hear that the MTX/JBL subs are pretty good too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some Rockford Fosgate Punch HE2`s that were unbelievably loud and obnoxious, but have since owned nothing but JL Audio. The sound quality is definitely what I am into now, and that`s what they are great at. My whole system is JL Audio Subs and Power with MB Quart Q series highs. Very clean sounding system, and this is my second one like this. I like W3`s. They are a dual voice coil design so they will get the most out of your amp regardless if you use 1 or 3, and they are somewhat space saving so you won`t need a massive box to accompany them.

Since you don`t have an unlimited amount of space, start looking for a very high power sub that requires very little air space. You can even go with a sealed box to save even more space, but a ported box will definitely sound more *life like*. Keep in mind that the smaller the box and the tighter the woofer, the more power its going to require so don`t decide on an amp until you decide on a woofer.

Look in my gallery at the 04` Expedition to see my current system.

8 tweeters

6 mids

2 subs

750 watts on the highs

1100 watts on the subs

Post Thanks / Like
    thats a lot of speakers Jdookie and overall a good install, but why soo many tweets and mids?

Post Thanks / Like
    My entire system in my SHO is JL Audio. I was looking for audio clarity and the system is amazing. 1 12" W3, 500/5 amp, 6 tweeters and a partridge in a pear tree.................. i love it.

Btw, the amp was slightly used (demo) when I bought it, the price was still over $800 (awhile ago mind you)....... so dropping a grand on a single speaker is very possible, but I bet the sound would be amazing. I`d love a 12" W7.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    alpine type-r? http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...facturerID=611

very affordable, good sound quality, gets loud, good sub for the buck.

since your saving trunk space, i would go with 2 10`s in a sealed box depending what you want

good sites with good prices:

www.ikesound.com

www.hookedontronics.com

www.thezeb.com

www.woofersetc.com

and check out www.sounddomain.com for reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    I have ALWAYS been a huge fan of Boston Pro Series Subs... They hit very hard and very clean! They do not produce the teeth-jarring low notes that the JL or RF would do, but they do play 100X`s cleaner. They are a very fast sub, and would do great with the HU and Amps you have. This is a SQ set-up mind you, not a SPL set-up. But make no mistake, when you want them to, they will play L O U D!!! My fav sub of all time!
    Jason-

In search of the Ultimate "Swirl Free " Finish

Thread Information