Post Thanks / Like
    I might be getting an IPOD or MP3 player as a gift this year and would like to use it in my truck so I am wondering what different types of connections there are for vehicles. I am not a fan of any type wiring hanging all over the interior, so I am looking for either wireless connections or something that can be easily hiden for a clean look. What are the pros and cons for these connections also. Do wireless ones still produce a good sound? I saw an FM tramitter type in Best Buy that looks to be wireless, does this type work good and produce good sounds? Are there better brands then others? Any help is appreciated as this is my first MP3 player and I don`t know much about them. Thanks for all the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an ITrip and i dont like it it dosnt sound good and i cant get it to go loud enough. Sound flat and gets interferance.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started out with an FM transmitter and I was VERY unhappy with it. The quality of the audio was awful. Plus, I live in a highly populated area with lots of radio stations. So, it was difficult finding a frequency to operate the FM transmitter on that wasn`t already used.

Very quickly, I upgraded to the Ice Link. This device plugs into the port on the radio used for an external CD changer or satellite radio. It allows you to see song titles on your radio and use steering wheel controls for the radio to control the iPod. Plus, the sound quality is just as good as the CD player would be. Devices like this are more around $100-$200 but they`re worth it IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, the cleanest solution is always going to be some type of dedicated iPod link that interfaces directly with your headunit. There are different ways of connecting, but usually the way it works for HUs that don`t have explicit connections for its own proprietary system is to plug into the connector for the CD changer or satellite radio.

Other than that, you can try a new HU that comes with a aux/line-in, but on an aftermarket HU this won`t be a clean option (usually). Maybe you can find a HU where the connector is on the back, so that you can run a cable through the center console and maybe terminate it in your center console box.

That idea comes from my Scion tC, which comes with a line-in connector stock, and the connector is located in my center console box, so that everything is nicely hidden.

And yea, don`t even bother with FM transmitters...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m using the Monster ICarPlay

Amazon.com: Monster Cable A-IP-FM-CH iCarPlay Wireless FM Transmitter for iPod: Electronics

It is an FM transmitter with only one wire to the 12v source. It charges as it plays. Sound quality is very good for an FM transmitter. I was very skeptical and did not want a lot of wires, but for the price compared to other hardwired kits, it`s unbeatable. The iTrip does not even compare

Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to determine the quality of audio you want and how much you are willing to pay. Some vehicles have Aux inputs available. Some new cars have iPod connections built in that utilize the radio`s controls to control the iPod and will show the now playing info on the radio or NAV screen.

The best sound comes from a direct connection (cd quality). The next best connection would likely be a cassette connector (near cd quality). The lowest quality (fm radio quality) would be an fm transmitter. If fm quality is fine for you, the iTrip is worth a try. A truck has a good amount of road noise (tire and wind) so unless you happen to only listen when your parked the fm solution works pretty well for the money.

I have two iTrips that I use in several cars (another advantage of the fm transmitters is their portability) I frequently drive from Milwaukee, WI to Fort Myers, FL. I typically only have to change the fm channel once around Nashville. I get no interference with either iTrip, nor do I have any problem with it playing loud enough. I can drive you out of the vehicle holding your ears. The iTrip is not good in areas where there are few quiet channels. I have not experienced any reception problems in Minneapolis, Chicago and Atlanta but I do have to hunt for a clear channel around Nashville. I would expect eh fm spectrum to be pretty full in the NJ area though so an iTrip might not make you happy.

You really need to try these fm devices to determine how they work for you but I know that some iTrips work better than others. If you decide to try an iTrip and it isn`t working well enough bring it back and try another before moving on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you already have a favorite set of earbuds, I suggest picking up this set. I am not sure if Apple has improved the ear buds since my Ipod mini, but they were terrible. The sound on these is great, comfort top notch, again for the price.

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia Headphones: Electronics

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SHICKS
    Unless you already have a favorite set of earbuds, I suggest picking up this set. I am not sure if Apple has improved the ear buds since my Ipod mini, but they were terrible. The sound on these is great, comfort top notch, again for the price.

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia Headphones: Electronics

Steve

I bought these as well and will say that they are AWESOME, especially when compared to those boring, painful, white "things" that came with the ipod.

I`ll also say that I hate my MonsterCable fm transmitter, but then again, I`m not completely satisfied with most of my purchases. I like my music LOUD, and I can`t even go to half the volume when I am listening to the ipod, compared to a cd or real radio station.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replys. Guess the best solution for sound and cleanliness is to go with the kind that plugs into the back of the HU and hide the wire in the center console. I have a 1996 with the Ford JBL system, so even though it is old equipment, it does have an external CD changer in the center console, so i can just use the same connection for that. thanks for all the replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Headphones and audio happen to be another hobby of mine. A very comprehensive website, I would say, similar to autopia except in the review of headphones and audio would be Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Powered by vBulletin . If you are looking for something small like the `buds` they are more commonly known as IEM or in ear monitors.

I would like to caution you however, you can end up spending quite a bit of money in that hobby as high level headphones can be in the range of thousands of dollars. Look for the sweet spot though, as there is a very dimished return for the more money you spend.

Headphones should never be worn while driving though, seems like a very unsafe practice.

In my car I still use CD`s, maybe if they come up with a way for me to hook up my DAP (digital audio player) up so I can play uncompressed music without the distortion that seems present in many of these products, then I`ll jump on it.

-Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle 87
    Headphones should never be worn while driving though, seems like a very unsafe practice.

Yup, its also very illegal in Florida and I would assume the other 49 states as well. Not only does it apply to motor vehicles, but you can get ticketed for wearing headphones on a bicycle as well.

Thread Information