Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok This is a little more complicated then I originally thought. I have an 03 Acura TL Type S with the stock bose sub in the rear deck. I DO NOT want some gigantic bass box in my trunk lol. Im just looking for a heavier sound......but I know the stock sub is a free air and I dont know if replacing it with an after market one will make any difference. Any suggestions??

Post Thanks / Like
    my brother has two 10" jl`s in his trunk, yea they are boxes, and that not what your looking for, but great great sound. So if you could find someone, or yourself to do a custom install and put one or two in the sides or the floor of the trunk, would be pretty sick, but might set you back a few bucks. I think thats the only way youl find a huge difference. Even though it seems oyu get sick of the big sub after a while i think, i havent heard my brother use his since the first two months he got it haha. my two cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by odonnellb
    my brother has two 10" jl`s in his trunk, yea they are boxes, and that not what your looking for, but great great sound. So if you could find someone, or yourself to do a custom install and put one or two in the sides or the floor of the trunk, would be pretty sick, but might set you back a few bucks. I think thats the only way youl find a huge difference. Even though it seems oyu get sick of the big sub after a while i think, i havent heard my brother use his since the first two months he got it haha. my two cents

Yea but I dont need to drive around with a dance club in my trunk. I used to own an 01 Nissan Maxima and it also came stock with a Bose sub. The bass was waaaayyyy better then what I get from the TL. I dont need to overdo it, I just want a heavier thump lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you browsed around Crutchfield.com yet?

Surely they`ll have options that will replace stock locations and wiring.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    after market factory size sub to replace it (preferably rockford) and an amp is a must cause the head unit alone wont run it. and while youre at it get four mids and two tweets along with another amp, oh im getting carried away here. your factory head unit should have pre-outs for quick and easy hook up. good luck. i got $2800 in mine and its never enough :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt that the stock sub you can replace with an aftermarket one cuz most stock subs in Acuras were like 8" subs. Try getting new speakers all the way around, you will get a good amount of bass just from high quality speakers.
    Always being the youngest isn`t always a bad thing...:2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    if it is actualy an 8" sub then you can definatly get more, prob double from an after market sub with an amp. prob wont rattle your mirrors off or anything but definatly more. few things to think about though

1. factory speakers are most of the time el cheapos. lower end products of the makers of the kinds that are in your vehicle i.e. bosse, infinity, and serwin vega so they are very low wattage speakers

2.a factory head unit usualy only has a total wattage af aroung 150-250 max wattage. you devide that into all of your speakers and that leavs you with minimal wattage to run your new 8" sub that will most likely require you to run around 250rms and around 350-450max wattage. so an amp is a must

3.you will be putting this in a free air enviorment wich will not gve you as sound pressure (thump and bump) as a seald box. sealed boxes can be very small for an 8` sub and a good 12` uses around one qubic foot, i think that that is a pretty small box.

4.i have heard some prett desent sound systems that do run just a sub with all of the other speakers factory and they sound prett good, but to get the best for your money all after market in your mids and highs alone will give you a drematic change in soundwithout having to put a disco joint in your trunk

5.i like it when my brains start to scramble and my ears start to bleed i`m a big bass head

6.for more solid info just see your local sound studio or best buy. hopefuly you wont go to wallmart

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk02
    after market factory size sub to replace it (preferably rockford) and an amp is a must cause the head unit alone wont run it. and while youre at it get four mids and two tweets along with another amp, oh im getting carried away here. your factory head unit should have pre-outs for quick and easy hook up. good luck. i got $2800 in mine and its never enough :chuckle:

Uh, wrong. Most factory h/u`s do NOT have pre-outs. You will need a Line output converter. Check out David Navone for some good models.

You could probably get away with just getting a new 8" sub or two and a amp to push it. If you mess with other stuff, you will not get the right sound. Bose systems are really hard to put a sub in with, and you cannot replace just speakers, they run at like .2 ohms and aftermarket speakers are most often 4ohms.

Now for your sub, you could check out Resonant Engineering, Assendant Audio, Elemental Designs. I would reccomend the Elemental Designs 9kv.2 in a ported enclosure built to the factory design. That would put your port tuning at about 30hz and that would be an SQ sub system.

As far as amp, you could buy the NINE.2 amp from ED also and that would be about 400watts to your 8" sub and it would sound really nice.

Check them out at www.elementaldesigns.com

Also check out www.caraudioforum.com and search some stuff on there.
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1
    Uh, wrong. Most factory h/u`s do NOT have pre-outs.
    Uh, yea they do :argue

Post Thanks / Like
    you find me more than 95% of factory h/u`s that have RCA pre outs. It wont happen. Havent found any in the more than 20 different cars I have put stereos in for, and probably wont find any in MOST cars. I am not saying every car in the world does not have rca pre-outs, but 95% of them dont.
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk02
    Uh, yea they do :argue

Can you point to a make/model that does? I`ve never seen it either. Most all have some type of input that you can tap via an adapter but I have NEVER seen a factory unit with RCA`s on it.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    The easiest and cheapest would be to find a more effiecent 8" free sub. That being said you might have to do some research or visit a good stereo shop to find one.

Doesn`t Bose somtimes have `power wave` or whatever it`s called to make bass? You know the plastic tuned tubing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bose speakers work on funny ohm loads so just replacing the factory sub will not work.

Bose has wave guide tech that is on some of their speakers. Most of their caraudio stuff is just a ported box though.
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    ok so i am the idiot :sign , :aww: just called my friend who installs for a living and he says Uh, no there isn`t. just seems verry strange to me that a factory head unit would not ,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information