Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sure we`ve all heard of installing a car-computer ... the primary advantage is a having a media station that can playback audio / video and also include navigation (GPS). A nerds dream! haha

I`ve been tracking the market very closely and with major players like microsoft moving in (developed windows CE automotive o/s platform) and the rise of navigation systems in more and more models (even civic has an option for navi!), it`s become apparent that people are getting more educated about these systems and demand is rising.

This is nothing new though ... magellan and garmin have always been there, selling their portable navigation units and more car manufacters are integrating mp3 / navigation and even bluetooth.

I guess the question I had for you guys is if there was a product out there, that was sleek / user-friendly touchscreen (we`re developing the GUI and software right now), had audio/video playback, navigation and even wifi/wi-max support, would you be interested? $1500-ish ...

Any wish lists on the kinds of features you`d like?? I`m working on developing a GUI to go w/ OBDII reader ...

I`ve spent so much time researching and working on developing the hardware for the past couple years. It includes some of the latest in embedded technologies.

I`d appreciate any feedback on this - i`m not trying to sell anything here ... though I wish i did, but I`m a ways from getting there !
    1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5-spd

superblack!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nadir
    I`m sure we`ve all heard of installing a car-computer ... the primary advantage is a having a media station that can playback audio / video and also include navigation (GPS). A nerds dream! haha

I`ve been tracking the market very closely and with major players like microsoft moving in (developed windows CE automotive o/s platform) and the rise of navigation systems in more and more models (even civic has an option for navi!), it`s become apparent that people are getting more educated about these systems and demand is rising.

This is nothing new though ... magellan and garmin have always been there, selling their portable navigation units and more car manufacters are integrating mp3 / navigation and even bluetooth.

I guess the question I had for you guys is if there was a product out there, that was sleek / user-friendly touchscreen (we`re developing the GUI and software right now), had audio/video playback, navigation and even wifi/wi-max support, would you be interested? $1500-ish ...

Any wish lists on the kinds of features you`d like?? I`m working on developing a GUI to go w/ OBDII reader ...

I`ve spent so much time researching and working on developing the hardware for the past couple years. It includes some of the latest in embedded technologies.

I`d appreciate any feedback on this - i`m not trying to sell anything here ... though I wish i did, but I`m a ways from getting there !

not sure if you are familar with the Lexus set up or not. I have seen it in action on a RX330 and it is very user friendly. you can use either touch screen or voice command. the bluetooth makes using the phone a little safer as well. have to admit even though I can be labeled a bit of a technology geek I did not find it useful in a car until the Lexus demo. the part that was most useful was the location of gas stations in the area. it would tell you which brand and even supply their phone number. not sure if this helps with your graphic user interface or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen one guy who wired up a Mac Mini in his car, used the nav screen as a monitor, and used FrontRow(Apple`s new media package).

Oh, and he used his Bluetooth phone as a remote for the whole thing!

Now that`s sweet!
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Cruise over to www.mp3car.com. I am Shelbrain there as well and you can see some of the awesome custom setups people are running. I am almost done w/ my own install and I learned all the info at that forum.

Thread Information