Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Radio

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

We got spoiled on our recent trip to NY by having XM Radio in the rental car for 10 days. I want to add it to the Mustang and am looking for opinions on the various options out there. I do know we want to go XM and I need something portable so we can go from the Mustang to the wife`s minivan on trips.

Right now it looks like I am going with the Delphi SkyFi2

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l4VaagW...0&I=040SA10101

For the Mustang I am gonna go with the FM modulator that plugs into the antenna on my stock headunit. We will probably do the same thing for the wife`s minivan.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l4VaagW...0&I=040SA10112

For the antenna I am debating putting it on the roof vs just putting it on the rear shelf. Anyone know how putting the antenna on the rear shelf may affect reception? For the minivan, it is just going on the roof.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l4VaagW...0&I=209XMICRO2

To mount the unit in the Mustang, I wanted to avoid anything that would permanently alter the car. I found this at Circuit City, just the perfect option for me. It just fits in a cupholder. I haven`t decided how I want to mount it in the minivan yet.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Belki...oductDetail.do

Any comments or suggestions on what I have put together would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

We got spoiled on our recent trip to NY by having XM Radio in the rental car for 10 days. I want to add it to the Mustang and am looking for opinions on the various options out there. I do know we want to go XM and I need something portable so we can go from the Mustang to the wife`s minivan on trips.

Right now it looks like I am going with the Delphi SkyFi2

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l4VaagW...0&I=040SA10101

For the Mustang I am gonna go with the FM modulator that plugs into the antenna on my stock headunit. We will probably do the same thing for the wife`s minivan.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l4VaagW...0&I=040SA10112

For the antenna I am debating putting it on the roof vs just putting it on the rear shelf. Anyone know how putting the antenna on the rear shelf may affect reception? For the minivan, it is just going on the roof.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l4VaagW...0&I=209XMICRO2

To mount the unit in the Mustang, I wanted to avoid anything that would permanently alter the car. I found this at Circuit City, just the perfect option for me. It just fits in a cupholder. I haven`t decided how I want to mount it in the minivan yet.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Belki...oductDetail.do

Any comments or suggestions on what I have put together would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    For the antenna I am debating putting it on the roof vs just putting it on the rear shelf. Anyone know how putting the antenna on the rear shelf may affect reception?

If you are not in a big city with terrestrial repeaters it will have an effect.
    Autoeng

Post Thanks / Like
    For the antenna I am debating putting it on the roof vs just putting it on the rear shelf. Anyone know how putting the antenna on the rear shelf may affect reception?

If you are not in a big city with terrestrial repeaters it will have an effect.
    Autoeng

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a SkyFi and Roadie. The Roadie is smaller, the SkyFi`s display is more informative. I`d go with the more informative display, it`s less fiddlling while driving.

If you put the antenna on the roof, be careful for scratches.

I LOVE my XM Radio. I bought a 3 year subscription for 3 radios (the Miata has it built into the head unit).

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a SkyFi and Roadie. The Roadie is smaller, the SkyFi`s display is more informative. I`d go with the more informative display, it`s less fiddlling while driving.

I LOVE my XM Radio. I bought a 3 year subscription for 3 radios (the Miata has it built into the head unit).

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosca

Tom

If I put it on the roof do you think the magnet in the antenna will still hold if I put a piece of the 3M clear bra material down to protect the roof?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosca

Tom

If I put it on the roof do you think the magnet in the antenna will still hold if I put a piece of the 3M clear bra material down to protect the roof?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d try it in the rear rack first. My antenna is in the rear rack and I`ve never had a problem with reception. I do live in a big city but I`ve driven it through some pretty rural areas without an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d try it in the rear rack first. My antenna is in the rear rack and I`ve never had a problem with reception. I do live in a big city but I`ve driven it through some pretty rural areas without an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine in the back window on the deck.. it works fine as long as you arent in a heavily wooded area but even then, having it outside wouldn`t make any difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine in the back window on the deck.. it works fine as long as you arent in a heavily wooded area but even then, having it outside wouldn`t make any difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjstaaf

Absolutely yes. The magnet is hella strong.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjstaaf

Absolutely yes. The magnet is hella strong.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    instead of FM modulator, have you thought of getting an auxuillary input device that will plug into your factory radio and let you play your satellite radio through the factory radio? they`re probably more expensive than a FM modulator, but they are suppose to sound better since they plug directly into your factory radio.

i tried looking for something similar to hook my iPod to my factory Mach460 and came across a forum board for xm radio, although i don`t have the bookmark right now. well, let me know if you want it, i can get it later when i go home from work.
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information