Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Radio

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the XM Commander in my 2003 Ford Explorer with a PIE adaptor to plug it into my factory in dash 6 disc changer. I LOVE IT!!!!! I did have one problem. When the installer installed the PIE cable at first the sound was bad. It had distortion like I was blasting the music and the speakers couldn`t handle it even when it was at low volume. They had to install a piece that normally is used to balance subwoofers (not sure of the name). It turns down the the output from the XM to the head unit and it totally cleared up the distortion. The output set at the factory is set for FM mod and when you use FM mod there is a lot of signal loss so you have to crank up the output. If you get direct connect you will never be able to go back to the FM modulator. The difference is night and day. FM mod is pretty poor sound especially if you are paying every month to listen.

The nice thing about the XM Commander is that it is small enough to conceal. I had it put in the sunglasses holder in my Explorer. When it is closed everything looks factory and there are no wires showing (and the thiefs don`t know its there). I also have a XM MyFi that I take to work and everywhere else. Now I can get XM all the time! You can`t go wrong with XM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the XM Commander in my 2003 Ford Explorer with a PIE adaptor to plug it into my factory in dash 6 disc changer. I LOVE IT!!!!! I did have one problem. When the installer installed the PIE cable at first the sound was bad. It had distortion like I was blasting the music and the speakers couldn`t handle it even when it was at low volume. They had to install a piece that normally is used to balance subwoofers (not sure of the name). It turns down the the output from the XM to the head unit and it totally cleared up the distortion. The output set at the factory is set for FM mod and when you use FM mod there is a lot of signal loss so you have to crank up the output. If you get direct connect you will never be able to go back to the FM modulator. The difference is night and day. FM mod is pretty poor sound especially if you are paying every month to listen.

The nice thing about the XM Commander is that it is small enough to conceal. I had it put in the sunglasses holder in my Explorer. When it is closed everything looks factory and there are no wires showing (and the thiefs don`t know its there). I also have a XM MyFi that I take to work and everywhere else. Now I can get XM all the time! You can`t go wrong with XM.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way the my antenna is under my dash. I was worried about it when they told me they put it there but it gets just as good reception as on my old car when it was on the roof (both in the city and country).

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way the my antenna is under my dash. I was worried about it when they told me they put it there but it gets just as good reception as on my old car when it was on the roof (both in the city and country).

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

Thanks for the info! now i don`t have to spend a lot of money for an aftermarket car stereo system and can spend more money on waxes and polishes! :buffing:

*UPDATE* i just ordered it. i`ll most likely get it next week some time. :clap:
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

Thanks for the info! now i don`t have to spend a lot of money for an aftermarket car stereo system and can spend more money on waxes and polishes! :buffing:

Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boehljed

I did some searching around on the output problem you mention. I just found out that the Delphi SkyFi2 has the ability to adjust the ouput for situations just as you mention. You can adjust the output through the software on the unit so this shouldn`t be a problem for me.

Here is the section from the SkyFi user manual.

Adjusting the Audio Level

The factory default setting should work well in most situations. However, if you hear distortion, you should decrease the audio level. If the XM audio level is too low compared to other sources such as CD, cassette, or other FM stations, you may want to increase the audio level.

1. Press the Ă¢â‚¬Å“menuĂ¢â‚¬ button.

2. Use the scroll wheel (or remote) to select Ă¢â‚¬Å“Audio Level.Ă¢â‚¬ Press the Ă¢â‚¬Å“XMĂ¢â‚¬ button to confirm.

3. Use the scroll wheel (or remote) to select the desired level. Press the Ă¢â‚¬Å“XMĂ¢â‚¬ button to confirm selection.

4. Press the Ă¢â‚¬Å“menuĂ¢â‚¬ button to return to the main menu and then again to return to normal operation.

Note: This is not a volume control. This feature should be used to better match the SKYFi2 audio level with the other audio sources in the receiver. Set the volume using the audio system or FM radio connected to your SKYFi2.

Thanks for the input though, much appreciated :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like

I did some searching around on the output problem you mention. I just found out that the Delphi SkyFi2 has the ability to adjust the ouput for situations just as you mention. You can adjust the output through the software on the unit so this shouldn`t be a problem for me.

Here is the section from the SkyFi user manual.

Adjusting the Audio Level

The factory default setting should work well in most situations. However, if you hear distortion, you should decrease the audio level. If the XM audio level is too low compared to other sources such as CD, cassette, or other FM stations, you may want to increase the audio level.

1. Press the Ă¢â‚¬Å“menuĂ¢â‚¬ button.

2. Use the scroll wheel (or remote) to select Ă¢â‚¬Å“Audio Level.Ă¢â‚¬ Press the Ă¢â‚¬Å“XMĂ¢â‚¬ button to confirm.

3. Use the scroll wheel (or remote) to select the desired level. Press the Ă¢â‚¬Å“XMĂ¢â‚¬ button to confirm selection.

4. Press the Ă¢â‚¬Å“menuĂ¢â‚¬ button to return to the main menu and then again to return to normal operation.

Note: This is not a volume control. This feature should be used to better match the SKYFi2 audio level with the other audio sources in the receiver. Set the volume using the audio system or FM radio connected to your SKYFi2.

Thanks for the input though, much appreciated :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to experiment with antenna placement inside the Mustang. I reaaaaalllllyyyy don`t want to place the antenna on the roof. I would appreciate any input others have as to non-conventional antenna placement and how reception is.

The two locations I am considering at this point are inside on the dashboard and outside under the plastic cowling between the bottom of the windshield and the hood on the Mustang. While probably not as good as the roof I have gotten positive feedback from others who have mounted their antenna in these locations.

Found a great XM forum site if anyone is interested.

http://www.xmfan.com/

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to experiment with antenna placement inside the Mustang. I reaaaaalllllyyyy don`t want to place the antenna on the roof. I would appreciate any input others have as to non-conventional antenna placement and how reception is.

The two locations I am considering at this point are inside on the dashboard and outside under the plastic cowling between the bottom of the windshield and the hood on the Mustang. While probably not as good as the roof I have gotten positive feedback from others who have mounted their antenna in these locations.

Found a great XM forum site if anyone is interested.

http://www.xmfan.com/

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hirosh
    Bob,

Reid,

Found another option that just may work for you. Is your Mach 460 one of the Sirius ready units? If so, you can get an XM tuner that will fool the head unit into thinking XM is Sirius and it will allow display and control from your stock head unit. This looks to be the most seamless and factory looking way to get XM in your `04 Mach 460 head unit.

http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=xmdirect

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hirosh
    Bob,

Reid,

Found another option that just may work for you. Is your Mach 460 one of the Sirius ready units? If so, you can get an XM tuner that will fool the head unit into thinking XM is Sirius and it will allow display and control from your stock head unit. This looks to be the most seamless and factory looking way to get XM in your `04 Mach 460 head unit.

http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=xmdirect

Post Thanks / Like
    I have it on my rear deck, double taped hidden in the corner. I live in the DC area with plenty of repeaters. Only problem is in wooded areas in the summer but it almost never goes out.

I have the wired FM modulator from delphi installed inside the dash because I kept getting interference from regular radio stations. Now , the modulator cuts off my radio antenna when I turn on XM, and the interference is gone.

The car is 03 camry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have it on my rear deck, double taped hidden in the corner. I live in the DC area with plenty of repeaters. Only problem is in wooded areas in the summer but it almost never goes out.

I have the wired FM modulator from delphi installed inside the dash because I kept getting interference from regular radio stations. Now , the modulator cuts off my radio antenna when I turn on XM, and the interference is gone.

The car is 03 camry.

Post Thanks / Like
    "I did some searching around on the output problem you mention. I just found out that the Delphi SkyFi2 has the ability to adjust the ouput for situations just as you mention. You can adjust the output through the software on the unit so this shouldn`t be a problem for me" - rjstaaf

The XM Commander has the same ability to adjust output, but even at the lowest setting it was still far too high with the PIE plug. Hope you have better luck with the SkyFi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information