Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m thinking about installing a sub in the PT Cruiser. I already have Infinity Kappas all around with a midlevel Sony deck, and it sounds pretty awesome. My bedroom system also sounded good with two Infinity Alpha bookshelf speakers. However, when I added a Hsu Research sub to it, it totally took my breath away! :woohoo:

I want this kind of difference in my car! I was reading the other threads about subs on here, and there seems to be a favor towards JL Audio. Now, I don`t know a lot about the reputation of car subwoofer brands, but I know all about freq. response and good materials(I can tell you a lot about home subs, though :grinno: ).

Also, I listen mainly to alternative rock and jazz. No rap or country here! I also listen at moderate volumes. I don`t want to shake my hatch off its hinges or get cops` attention. I just want high-quality, clear bass to make my system sound more full.

I am on a pretty strict budget for this project, however. I really like the Infinity Basslink, but it`s a tad out of my price range at this moment. I also like the JL Audio 8w3v2. For my taste, an 8 in. will work just fine. I`m going for quality, not quantity.

Here`s another thing: When I bought my tires, I got a $75 gift card to Crutchfield, so I`d like to either buy my amp there or my sub. Can anyone recommend the best bang for my buck amp/ 8 in. sub combo?

Thanks a ton. I always appreciate your advice!
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m thinking about installing a sub in the PT Cruiser. I already have Infinity Kappas all around with a midlevel Sony deck, and it sounds pretty awesome. My bedroom system also sounded good with two Infinity Alpha bookshelf speakers. However, when I added a Hsu Research sub to it, it totally took my breath away! :woohoo:

I want this kind of difference in my car! I was reading the other threads about subs on here, and there seems to be a favor towards JL Audio. Now, I don`t know a lot about the reputation of car subwoofer brands, but I know all about freq. response and good materials(I can tell you a lot about home subs, though :grinno: ).

Also, I listen mainly to alternative rock and jazz. No rap or country here! I also listen at moderate volumes. I don`t want to shake my hatch off its hinges or get cops` attention. I just want high-quality, clear bass to make my system sound more full.

I am on a pretty strict budget for this project, however. I really like the Infinity Basslink, but it`s a tad out of my price range at this moment. I also like the JL Audio 8w3v2. For my taste, an 8 in. will work just fine. I`m going for quality, not quantity.

Here`s another thing: When I bought my tires, I got a $75 gift card to Crutchfield, so I`d like to either buy my amp there or my sub. Can anyone recommend the best bang for my buck amp/ 8 in. sub combo?

Thanks a ton. I always appreciate your advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    At crutchfield I woudl go with the Polk Momo for an 8" sub http://www.crutchfield.com/S-a8b4JjD...20&I=107MM2084

I would honestly just use the gift certificate towards an amplifier at Crutchfield and get an ED 9kv2 sub in 8" size .

They are awesome an will outperform ANY 8" sub and a lot of the 10" subs crutchfield has to offer !

Can`t beat a 3 year warranty and free shipping either

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=1&pid=1&cur=USD

I would go with dual 2 ohm sub and this amp > http://www.crutchfield.com/S-a8b4JjD...0&I=500MRPM350

Then you could upgrade later by adding another kv2 or another sub altogether and having more power @ 2 ohms .

Upgradeability is good ! Once you get accustomed to music , the volume and presence doesn`t seem like so much anymore and you want/need a lil more oomph ..

So what do you think ? Ed sub + Alpine amp ? Or if you would like to spend less and for slightly lesser , but still decent quality , go with a profile sub amp http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XdN9okq...20&I=489AP700M . It could be upgradeable also .

P.S. Ed also builds 100% custom sub boxes if you ask . Much better quality than ANY pre made boxes

Post Thanks / Like
    At crutchfield I woudl go with the Polk Momo for an 8" sub http://www.crutchfield.com/S-a8b4JjD...20&I=107MM2084

I would honestly just use the gift certificate towards an amplifier at Crutchfield and get an ED 9kv2 sub in 8" size .

They are awesome an will outperform ANY 8" sub and a lot of the 10" subs crutchfield has to offer !

I would go with dual 2 ohm sub and this amp > http://www.crutchfield.com/S-a8b4JjD...0&I=500MRPM350

Then you could upgrade later by adding another kv2 or another sub altogether and having more power @ 2 ohms .

Upgradeability is good ! Once you get accustomed to music , the volume and presence doesn`t seem like so much anymore and you want/need a lil more oomph ..

So what do you think ? Ed sub + Alpine amp ? Or if you would like to spend less and for slightly lesser , but still decent quality , go with a profile sub amp http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XdN9okq...20&I=489AP700M . It could be upgradeable also .

P.S. Ed also builds 100% custom sub boxes if you ask . Much better quality than ANY pre made boxes

Post Thanks / Like
    the momo polk is a very tight driver and responds best to sealed enclosures. Good for the type of music you like

Post Thanks / Like
    the momo polk is a very tight driver and responds best to sealed enclosures. Good for the type of music you like

Post Thanks / Like
    Youテ「竄ャ邃「ll never go wrong with pastrami and provolone. :up

Oh, wrong kind of sub. :think:

You can certainly improve your ride`s sound but donテ「竄ャ邃「t expect any mobile system to come even remotely close to your Hsu sub.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Youテ「竄ャ邃「ll never go wrong with pastrami and provolone. :up

Oh, wrong kind of sub. :think:

You can certainly improve your ride`s sound but donテ「竄ャ邃「t expect any mobile system to come even remotely close to your Hsu sub.

PC.

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by papi_jay
    ....... I would honestly just use the gift certificate towards an amplifier at Crutchfield and get an ED 9kv2 sub in 8" size .

I can vouch for the quality of ED subs as I have a previous gen 8"

(aka, the E8A). It`s in a small sealed box, powerd by an Alpine sub

pushing about 300 watts. The bass is clean and tight with lead ball type

impact. Almost 2 yrs since the install and still going strong. My only

regret was not getting 2 of these subs when I realized adding another

would not compromise my trunk space; as far as I can tell, they are

no longer available save if you can get one used. The 9k (or a pair of them)

seems to be a great alternative. Once I get some more coin, I`m gonna

get me a pair, and donate the 8a to my dad`s other car.

Some other cool solutions would be:

Resonant

Image Dynamics

Adire Audio

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been a Hsu fan for at least 10 years. I have 2 of their car subs in my car. I also have an STF2 and and STF3 in Max Extension mode. Guess what sub I`d recommend?

Are you on the Hsu Message board?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    I have been a Hsu fan for at least 10 years. I have 2 of their car subs in my car. I also have an STF2 and and STF3 in Max Extension mode. Guess what sub I`d recommend?

Are you on the Hsu Message board?

Oh geez. Duh!

I totally forgot they made car subs! Awesome! Alright, I`ll buy the Profile amp from Crutchfield and then get the Hsu. Sweet! I`m so excited now. :dance

No, I`m not on the message board. I will consider it, though! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drewski59
    Oh geez. Duh!

I totally forgot they made car subs! Awesome! Alright, I`ll buy the Profile amp from Crutchfield and then get the Hsu. Sweet! I`m so excited now. :dance

No, I`m not on the message board. I will consider it, though! Thanks.

What are the specs on the Profile amp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s the link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-023fyso...20&I=489HA700M

The Baja HA700M mono subwoofer amp is a great choice when you`re looking to pound out the bass. With 200 watts RMS, there`s plenty of juice on tap to power most single 4-ohm subs. Read more

Details:

テそ mono subwoofer car amplifier

テそ 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (350 watts x 1 at 2 ohms)

テそ variable low-pass filter (50-250 Hz at 12 dB per octave)

テそ selectable bass boost (0/6/12 dB at 45 Hz)

テそ variable subsonic filter (20-50 Hz at 12 dB per octave)

テそ variable phase control (0-180 degrees)

テそ MOSFET power supply and output stage

テそ preamp- and speaker-level inputs

テそ preamp-level outputs

テそ fuse rating: 40A x 1

テそ 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended テ「竄ャ窶 wiring and hardware not included with amplifier

テそ 14"W x 2-1/4"H x 9-11/16"D

テそ warranty: 2 year

Post Thanks / Like
    Hsu subs are great! I bought the original VTF-2 when it first came out and it still rocks my living room...it performs almost as good as my REL Stadium for a fraction of the cost. I had no idea Hsu made car subs. I ought to look into that. I`ve always been a JL Audio guy myself and would definitely recommend the 10W6v2 as an option. Great control, extension, and sound quality. The 8W3v2 is also a great sub, but the 10W6 has in my opinion, just that much more control that you can definitely hear a sound quality difference. Just don`t skimp on a good enclosure...the best sub will only perform as well as its encolsure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone mentioned ED subs. If they are Elemental Design subs I would go with them as well. Not only are they great quality subs for the money but most of them require smaller enclosures and less power making them ideal for car use......especially for just enhancing music instead of trying to rattle the interior of the car next to you. I have had a 10" ED sub for 2 years and could not be more satisfied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information