Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

big pimpin on the lakefront haha

You know it! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    20% on all sides

10% on back window.

I wish I had gone 15% but the 20% gives a nice contrast to the car. MUCH BETTER THAN STOCK...

Here`s some pictures so u can get an idea of what I`m talking about.

Tinted Back

Stock

Tinted Side

Tinted Side Another Angle

You can see how the angle you look at the car can dramatically change the look of the tint. I can`t remember what tint it is but it has held up well. Just remember not to use ammonia on them and not to open your windows for at least 3-5 days after to prolong the life of the tint.

Sorry to be a pic whore, just want you to understand what you want. It`s a big investment and you don`t want to have to do it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JDookie

I can`t agree with that. I`ve had every single car I`ve owned tinted with both metallic and non-metallic and it has *always* reduced the overall temps. inside drastically.

Sure, the metallic tint will *reflect* more light but even the non-metallic stops the light from penetrating the interior, thus the percentages (20%, 35%, etc.)

Typical polyester tint material will cause a parked car`s windows to heat faster than those with no tint. Tinted windows just block visible light and actually absorb the radiant heat energy of the sun. After a vehicle spends just a few minutes parked in the sun, traditionally tinted windows will store all the energy they can hold. The windows will then radiate their stored energy in all directions and superheat the car`s interior.

The dark coloring attracts heat faster than a clear window. Take a black box and clear box. Set both of them in the sun and place a thermometer inside both boxes. After some period of time remove both boxes and read the thermometers. A dark colored surface absorbs most of the radiant energy of the sun and the temperature inside the black box will be higher than the clear one.

Metallic, reflective tinting will reflect light/heat and make a car cooler. This is probably true for the ceramic coated tints, too. A typical polyester tint material will not.

See the attached link that backs up the science below...

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../21568428.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got 50 all around, but I`m looking to darken them significantly as I`m moving to Florida. Anyone know what the legal limit is there, and if I could get bagged for having those tints when I bring my car back to Maine for the summer (it`ll have Florida Tech plates).
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    FL 28% 15% 15% front/sides/back

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

but once you get to FL you will see almost everyone runs 20% or darker up front so i guess they are not that strict

if the car is registered in FL, they are not supposed to ticket you for equipment violations in MN?. they could still give you a hard time tho
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Yo, JDookie,

Nice ride. I`ve got 03 black expedition. Looks like you`ve got the premier exterior blackout package, or you have upgraded to it. Nice.

I`m thinking of getting an 05 hopefully with premier exterior also. If not I might go with a DG motorsports hurricane kit. I`ve got the XLT with crappy grey plastic lower body moldings and bumpers. Nice wheels to, what size and what size tire. I`m thinking of going with 22`s, but don`t know if I want 305/40`s. or 305/45`s.

What are your thoughts on the ford paint? At low angle sun conditions mine doesn`t seem very dark black. Almost has a brown or yellow undertone. It could be my #7 or souveran though? It`s good to see someone with an Expy!

Florida is relaxed with their tint laws. There is still a legal limit, and tint shops will tell you of it, but will still install what you want. My old roomate went pretty much blackout, and has never been stopped.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d also go with 20% or so. I have 20% all around. Remember to consider the color of your interior. I have a tan interior, so my tint looks lighter than it really is.

The appearance also looks different with different weather conditions. Under cloudy skies, 20% looks pretty dark even with a tan interior.

Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    V-kool 70 baby!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is 35% tint from Ziebart and is guaranteed for as long as I own the vehicle. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, 35% sounds quite light, however, from certain angles it looks almost opague.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2002 Nissan Sentra GXE (ebony)

Post Thanks / Like
    If your looking to keep the interior cool, the a ceramic tint like the stuff from Huper Optik will do the trick.

Probelm is it cost twice as much when compared to traditional tinting

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by chml17l

Typical polyester tint material will cause a parked car`s windows to heat faster than those with no tint. Tinted windows just block visible light and actually absorb the radiant heat energy of the sun. After a vehicle spends just a few minutes parked in the sun, traditionally tinted windows will store all the energy they can hold. The windows will then radiate their stored energy in all directions and superheat the car`s interior.

The dark coloring attracts heat faster than a clear window. Take a black box and clear box. Set both of them in the sun and place a thermometer inside both boxes. After some period of time remove both boxes and read the thermometers. A dark colored surface absorbs most of the radiant energy of the sun and the temperature inside the black box will be higher than the clear one.

Metallic, reflective tinting will reflect light/heat and make a car cooler. This is probably true for the ceramic coated tints, too. A typical polyester tint material will not.

See the attached link that backs up the science below...

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../21568428.html

I`m certainly not question the science behind this, because it makes sense but I know what my experience is, and I`ve always noticed a drop in interior temps. with darker tint regardless of the material.

Originally posted by G03X

Yo, JDookie,

Nice ride. I`ve got 03 black expedition. Looks like you`ve got the premier exterior blackout package, or you have upgraded to it. Nice.

I`m thinking of getting an 05 hopefully with premier exterior also. If not I might go with a DG motorsports hurricane kit. I`ve got the XLT with crappy grey plastic lower body moldings and bumpers. Nice wheels to, what size and what size tire. I`m thinking of going with 22`s, but don`t know if I want 305/40`s. or 305/45`s.

What are your thoughts on the ford paint? At low angle sun conditions mine doesn`t seem very dark black. Almost has a brown or yellow undertone. It could be my #7 or souveran though? It`s good to see someone with an Expy!

Florida is relaxed with their tint laws. There is still a legal limit, and tint shops will tell you of it, but will still install what you want. My old roomate went pretty much blackout, and has never been stopped.

Yes, mine is an 04` Eddie Bauer with the optional Premier Package. As far as I know, they stopped offering the Premier package since they came out with the Limited in 05`, which I don`t care for. All of my interior trim is satin nickel, and the Limited is bright chrome which looks cheap to me.

As far as the paint, I think it`s fine. This is my second black Expy, and the paint on the 04` is definitely better than the 99` I had, and both are WAY better than the 03` F250 I had which was very shallow and full of orange peel.

The wheels are 22`s wrapped in 305/40`s. In my opinion this is a *perfect* size and wouldn`t want them any different.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you have great eyes. No matter what tint you use it reduces your vision. Safety is more important than cool looks.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok whatever you say captain safety
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the reduced glare at night far outweighs any reduced vision I have from tinted windows. I have a hard time adjusting to a car without tinted windows now, especially at night in the rain... the glare is ridiculous compared to my car with tints.

During the day, it`s as if you`re wearing sunglasses, perhaps those should be considered unsafe while driving too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it`s the 03 black paint, because mine can look like crap in some lighting. I was parked next to a black Armada, and mine didn`t look black anymore. Orange peel city too. Oh well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information