Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a 2003 Dodge Ram and there have been ALOT of them getting stolen lately (I guess they`re pretty easy to break into) My factory alarm doesn`t really cut it so i`m wanting an aftermarket one. I don`t need the latest and greatest just something that is going to get the job done. Any suggestions???

Post Thanks / Like
    Look into the DEI stuff, Phyton, Stinger.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not up to date on all of the alarm stuff, so I cant help you there. I would suggest that you also look into would be a fuel cut off switch. It would be some hidden switch that would prevent the engine from getting fuel before you press it in. That way, if someone jumps in and tries to start it, it will turn over, etc, but it wont start. So they would hopefully give it up for being dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the latest and greatest, which is the Clifford RSX 3.5 Responder alarm which is now owned by DEI like most others. I got the top of the line model with the 2-way LCD remote (beeps like a pager if anything is tripped), Remote Start, glass breakage sensor, tilt sensor, dual zone disable (ingnition kill + additional disable, I went with the fuel pump), and loads of other accessories I probably didn`t need.

I suggest getting an a alarm that has a self powered siren, dual zone disable for igniton and fuel system, tilt sensor, glass sensor, and of course the usual shock sensor. I would also suggest getting a second siren, that is hardwired and in somewhat plain view to make the thief think they are disabling the siren and has the self powered siren hidden somewhere else under the vehicle.

The most important factor when considering an alarm is the installer you choose. The installer can put this alarm in where it`s a breeze for a thief to figure out and other installers make it near impossible.

Keep in mind that if they want your car bad enough, they are going to do what it takes to get it but you can certainly make them work for it thus giving you time to call the proper authorities before they get away.

Almost forgot, you can even get alarm systems now with LowJack built in which monitors the vehicles location if it`s stolen, but this is a monthly monitoring fee.

If you want an awesome alarm that is fully upgradeable and comes with most everything, I`d go with the G5 Intelliguard 750, unless you want the 2-way Responder remote, then go with one of the Matrix RSX models.

Here`s the website for the Clifford alarms. http://www.clifford.com/main.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    DEI is definitely the way to go with alarms.

Post Thanks / Like
    viper or clifford matrix

but the install and extra addons are what make or break it

hood lock, keyed type

battery backup

battery backup siren

interior piezo sirens
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    on top of having an alarm, also get the unbreakable autolock-pro (attaches to the brake or clutch pedal) with the barrel lock keys (i`m sure it can be broken, but compared to most auto theft devices, this one is one of the better ones out there and will be a b!tch to take off since it`s in the lower part of the car). if a car theif wants your car bad enough... they will get it no matter what alarm/lock you have, all you can do is help prevent it. having both these, it will take a bit longer for them to get it and they may just move on to an easier target. http://unbreakable.com/Unbreakable_Auto_BL.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    So DEI makes viper, and some other alarms?? How much for the Clifford RSX 3.5 Responder?
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    My vote for the IG from Clifford. Get it installed by an installer that is willing to go the extra mile. This means hiding the brain box extremely well, doing his/her best to hide all wiring to really make it look OEM, hide the siren and associated wires, etc etc etc. The alarm is only as good as the install. I would also recomend a battery backup for it so that should the power get cut, the alarm still functions. Keep in mind that asking for an extra good job may increase the installation price.

Another good one is a Clifford RSX, with the battery backup and pain generator siren. Ask to have the same type of job done, as well as the starter kill installed, as not all installers will do so. Again, price may increase for install.

On both units, or any unit you get, make sure you have a hood pin installed as well, as this will detect the hood opening.

I work as an installer by day so hit me up if you have any more questions. I take pride in my alarm installs.... Best of luck trying to steal my GMC, short of towing it.
    If you don`t like what I have to say, please direct your comments to /dev/null.... have a nice day

Quote: MongooseGA: Is she hot?

Post Thanks / Like
    DEI / VIPER !! I have had them put on everything I own. Buy the top of the line.

The insurance company should give you a break too for it.
    Mighty Hd

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m leaning toward a Viper 790. Now anyone know of a cheap place to get alarms???
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t look for "cheap" if you are looking for a really good job. Installers who take pride in their stealth installs (myself included) will not hesitate to be more expensive than everyone else. In over 16 years installing 12 volt, I have not heard of one single vehicle stolen with my install. That doesn`t mean anything other than what was previously stated. Your alarm is only as good as your installer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I already know where I am getting it installed, but they don`t carry Viper. I just need a place to buy it from, for cheap.
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say try the web, but most companies, including DEI, do not approve of internet sales. Therefore, you may not get a warranty on the parts. Your installer/shop may give you a warranty on the labor part, but don`t count on it. Most places that I know of frown on carry-in alarms to install. If something goes wrong with the product or it has a problem right out of the box, most customers start pointing fingers at the poor installer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I already checked with them and they said they will install an alarm that is purchased elsewhere. I guess i`ll check around online. I`m sure I will find something.
    Troy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information