Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    viper will not warrranty it

anyway alot of alarms have pretty specific tricks to them to get them wired in correctly. i would not want this to be a first attempt at an install on this model

if he installs viper normally it would probably be fine, but it sounds like he is not even a viper installer
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m getting it installed at Circuit City. They used to sell Vipers but they just stopped a while back, and now I guess they`re going to maybe start selling them again. But as of now they don`t sell them.
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    CC should be ok as you say. The best bet would be a ma and pa shop. I find that their installers are more knowlegeable when it comes to the finer side of alarm installs. Big shops IMO are there to "get `er done!". Take it FWIW........
    If you don`t like what I have to say, please direct your comments to /dev/null.... have a nice day

Quote: MongooseGA: Is she hot?

Post Thanks / Like
    That could go either way. Either they know alot more and do it right and take their time, or they have no idea what they`re doing and totally F it up.
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by lucky8926

So DEI makes viper, and some other alarms?? How much for the Clifford RSX 3.5 Responder?

By the time I was done adding all the extras, I ended up around $750 installed.

I already checked with them and they said they will install an alarm that is purchased elsewhere. I guess i`ll check around online. I`m sure I will find something.

I wouldn`t recommend doing that if I were you, unless it`s an authorized DEI retailer. Keep in mind that these things are still basic electronics and come with their share of issues, and when the time comes that you need warranty, you will probably be stuck buying a whole new alarm system.

I would look around locally for a shop to buy it from directly, and hang on to your receipt.

I`m getting it installed at Circuit City. They used to sell Vipers but they just stopped a while back, and now I guess they`re going to maybe start selling them again. But as of now they don`t sell them.

I don`t want to sound like I`m telling you what to do or anything, but I wouldn`t send my lawnmower to cc to get worked on. One of my high school buddies worked there as an installer for nearly 5 years, and he used to tell me some stories about some of the stuff they did, and it would make you cringe. Another very good friend of mine, (actually, the one that put a VERY expensive custom stereo in my old Expedition) managed a CC for a while and couldn`t get out of there fast enough. He was constantly dealing with installers screwing up the installations and people`s cars wouldn`t start, and all sorts of problems.

Now, this is only my experience with my local stores, so they might be better by you, but I know that they don`t require that the installers be certified or anything here. Anyone can walk in off the street and get a job as an installer and learn as they go.....very scary.

If I were you, I`d start looking around for a top of the line stereo shop. Somebody who does competition type stuff, and see if they have alarms. Most of the time shops like these excel in alarms because they are installing $10,000+ systems and the customer`s have to have them protected, and a simple $75 alarm just won`t do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason, you make a very good point!! I think I will check into seeing if there are any shops around me. Actually I know there is one about half an hour away and they have a VERY good reputation when it comes to stereo installs. I`ll have to see if they deal in alarms too.
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked the website of one of the local audio shops and they say that their top of the line alarm is the Prestige aps 996a. It`s made by audiovox. Isn`t audiovox junk??? Anyone heard of it??

Here is a link to the alarm on the audiovox website.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...2870&langId=-1

Here is an ebay auction for one (the ebay acution has more info)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if I`d call it junk but I certainly wouldn`t put an Audiovox alarm in my car.

Go to the DEI website and use their locator to find a Viper or Clifford retailer in your area.

http://www.directed.com/contact/locator.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    They (the place i`m going to get it installed) said they can get any DEI alarms. Does it have to be installed by a certified Viper installer for the warranty to be good?

They also mentioned Compustar alarms. Any one heard of them??
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard of Compustar and I`d ask the place you are going to about the warranty question. I would *assume* if they are an authorized reseller that they would be an authorized installer, so the two should *usually* go hand in hand, but just ask to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a link to their alarms (compustar)

http://www.compustar.org/security_with_remote_start.htm
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    YGPM
    If you don`t like what I have to say, please direct your comments to /dev/null.... have a nice day

Post Thanks / Like
    and btw those are awesome, just for the forum record.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well i`m going to check out alarms tonight. I`ll let you all know what I decided on.
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my alarm update. I was quoted $482 for a Python 881xp installed, and $499 for a Viper 791xvr. From what I understand they are both basically the same alarm since they are both made by DEI. Is this correct???
    Troy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information