Post Thanks / Like
    Ok well about a year ago I bought a Pioneer MP3 player for my car (7600 model i believe). Well everything was going fine until one day I was driving down the street and all of a sudden it went out. The cd player is on and running but no sound is coming out. I started to drive back home and i hit a bump in the road, well then it came back on. So i knew what it was then. The power supply had to be loose. I got home and looked in the back, but that wasnt the case. The wires were all still intact. I checked the fuses in my fuse panel and they are all still good. What could be my problem...3 weeks without a radio really sucks!

Post Thanks / Like
    is there a factory or aftermarket amp anywhere? sounds like an amp losing its ground or power somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Theres no aftermarket amp and I wouldnt think there is a factory one because its not the Monsoon system. It wouldnt be the fuse in the cd player would it because if the fuse was blown in the cd player the cd player wouldnt power on at all would it?

Post Thanks / Like
    no, if the fuse was blown, it wouldnt work at all

this is a stock setup correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything is stock except for the cd player. One speaker going out wouldnt cause them all to go out correct? I dont want to rule out anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    check the RCA`s and all the speaker connections also check the wiring harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked the rear speaker connections (because as you know they are the easiest to get to), but i figured it couldnt be the speakers because if 1 speaker went out they all wouldnt go out correct? I would still be able to hear the other 3 and that would be way to crazy if all 4 went out at the same time!

Like i said when i hit a bump it came back on and when i hit another bump it went off so theres something loose and I have the slightest idea what the heck it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like there is a short in the signal lines. Most aftermarket head units shut down the output to all channels in the event of a short to one of the speakers. The easiest way to find it is pull the radio out enough to get to the wires. If the radio has sound, you need to do whatever it takes to get it to go quiet. With the radio on and no sound, take one of the speaker leads and cut it at the connection where the factory wires meet the head unit wires. Just cut one wire of the pair (white or white/black, grey or grey/black, etc.). If the radio starts making sound after you cut a wire, odds are that is the speaker that is shorting out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Easier way of testing for a short than cutting wires is to back-probe the wires that run to the speakers. Do this by un-plugging the head unit, and then taking a DMM set to continuity check. Connect black lead to chassis ground, and then probe the speaker wires, colors are white, gray, violet and green. Each has a primary color and a black stripe wire, which is the negative. If the meter shows continuity then that is the speaker shorting. Vehicles wiring is probably OK if it is OEM and you have not changed anything. Chances are its a broke terminal on the speaker itself, that is loose and shorting out.

If you have exhausted all efforts, take the unit and wiring harness out, and call around to the local stereo shops to see if they can bench test it for you. Some do it free, and some charge a small fee, usually 10-20 bucks. This will finallize the troubleshooting and let you know if it is internal to the deck.

Sometimes the Firebirds have OEM Delco amps. The best way to verify this is to see if the blue remote wire from the decks harness is connected to the blue wire on the aftermarket adapter harness, this of course is assuming that it was not hacked off and hard wired. Either way, the amp wire would have been wired up by someone to get sound if it had an amp. Next best thing is to use a tone generator and try and tone the speakers without any power to the vehicle. If you have tone come through, then non amplified. No tone till the blue wire is energized, then its amped.

Note: You can also substitute the DMM with an LED test light. Not sure as to where to buy them other than from a tool dealer. I get mine from Snap-On and Matco.

Recomended Tools:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...26+Accessories

http://davidnavone.com/installation.html
    If you don`t like what I have to say, please direct your comments to /dev/null.... have a nice day

Quote: MongooseGA: Is she hot?

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like a loose OEM ground wire....
    A man who works with his hands is a laborer, A man who works with his hands and brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an Artist.-Louis Nizer

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew I could always count on you guys!

I started to create a thread over at the Fbody forums, but due to the lack of electronic forum participation I thought the brilliant minds of Autopia would know the answer.

I just went outside and unplugged one of my rear speakers and sure enough its working now. So then I unplugged the other rear speaker and reinstalled the previous one and it worked. So i fiddled around with both of the connections for the rear speakers and the terminals on the speakers are crooked and loose. I really need to get me some more rear speakers.

Just wanted to thank you guys with such descriptive answers that helped me thoroughly.

Thanks again!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it was an easy fix. Broke terminals are probably the biggest problem i run into daily.
    If you don`t like what I have to say, please direct your comments to /dev/null.... have a nice day

Quote: MongooseGA: Is she hot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok since you guys are so knowledgeable and Im completely clueless when it comes to speakers I have some more questions.

Ok im running an aftermarket MP3 Pioneer Cd player. My car is equipped with 4 speakers. The front (2) are the stock speakers and the rear (2) are some "el cheapo" speakers I bought from the flea market about 2 years ago just because my rear ones absolutely sucked. They were doing just fine until now and now the cheapness of the speakers are starting to show.

My questions are:

(1) Im wanting to replace at least the rear speakers with something with at least an ounce of quality that sound good as well as keeping the price as cheap as possible (meaning $60 or less). Now like I said I have no clue what im looking for as far as 2-way, 3-way, mid bass and so on.

(2) What speakers could I get that I could replace all 4 of the speakers that will give me ample bass by just running it off the headunit.

Also I dont want to go the componet speakers right now because they are out of my price range and I dont know when Ill get rid of my car and dont want to spend that kind of money. And another reason is im not in my car long enough to enjoy that.

Please post comments. Thanks fellas!

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    www.crutchfield.com

IMO probably the best car stereo place available. I dont know exactly what size speakers are in your Firebird, but I`m going to guess that the front ones are 4x6 (or maybe 5.25 rounds) and the rears are 6x9`s (or maybe 6.5 rounds). Thats a standard combo, but check and make sure.

You`re probably not going to get better than a 2 way for under $60 a pair. Not saying you couldn`t but I`m just saying it`s probably not likely. Basically, a 2 way is the bass with a mid range speaker. A 3 way generally has that plus a tweeter for higher notes. This is a reasonably decent 6.5 inch round speaker for $50. Now, this is just a personal thing, but I like speakers with a wider range of sound reproduction than most people, also like better sensitivity (measuered in dB, higher =better). That said, there is a whole range of speakers similar to this in the 50-70 price range. Step up a level and you`ll get things like rubber/urethane surrounds (last longer) better woofers (material wise) and better tweeters and mids. Search around and see what you can find.

Here is a pretty dang good set of speakers for $60. It`s got the nicer surrounds, same sensitivity as the earlier link, but it doesnt have as wide of a sound range and the tweeter isn`t quite as good. In my experience, it`s all a balancing act of what you want. You may find that you dont care about sound range, and just want pure power handling capability. It`s all personal taste. My recommendation would be to go to a local electronics shop (even circuit city or best buy) and listen to different speakers and see which ones you like. Make not of that speakers specs, and see if you can find something similar (or maybe that one even) online. Compare it to others and make your decision.

ANyways, sorry if it was a little longwinded, but this is only scratching the surface. THere is so much more you can do with car audio. Hope this helps, and best of luck.

Thread Information