Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by thevolvoguy

One more qestion guys, How are MTX subs? I saw a killer deal for a box and 2 12 inch subs w/ amp on clearance for $350. IMO they sounded as good as the JL audio box, (same size) they had next to it for $500. Anyone have personal experience with MTX subs?

MTX is also a good choice for amp and subs but there is a certain line that is much better than the series they sell in stores like Circuit city and Best Buy.

It just hit me a couple of seconds ago. Take a trip to your local Tweeter and listen to the following speaker/amp combination.

Boston Acoustics FS 60 ($219.95/pr)

Boston Acoustics FX93 ($139.95/pr)

JL Audio 300/4

If you want info on the speakers, head to www.bostonacoustics.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wm tiger

Your MB Quartz components that you plan to power by your amp of choice is not where I`d look to save money, I wouldn`t go much lower than the Infinity`s. If your looking to save money in your system, I`d instead:

1. Ditch putting 6"x9" speakers in your rear deck. Rear speakers aren`t really needed as they essentially put out the same frequency as the rest of your full-range speakers.

2. Depends highly on your personal preference though you could save tons of cash waiting till later to add your subwoofers which would require a pricey amplifier. You may find that your 4-main speakers provide more than enough base if you give them enough power via a quality, 4-channel amplifier.

Actually, if he puts a decent 3-way 6x9 and a good 4 channel amp, he can eliminate the need for a sub.

I was going to put a set of Eclipse 83941s (3 way 6x9) in the rear of my `94 Maxima until I found out that it required some cutting to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Head unit: Alpine CDA-7894 ($450.00)

Amp: JL Audio 300/4

Front Speakers: Boston Acoustics FS 60 ($219.95)

Rear Speakers: Boston Acoustics FX93 ($139.95)

Bear in mind, these are the manufacturer`s prices. Does not include installation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prinz --

I have the same problem. The stock opening in the rear deck is somthing crazy, like 5 1/2 by 8 1/2. Even my door speakers are not going to be flush mounted because the opening is exactly 5 inches. I don`t know what these car companys think they are accomplishing by making my life difficult. heh

Anyway, my salesman at Cartoys said he could just install a bracket that will mount them cleanly, just not as flush as before. IMO thats better than cutting holes, because eventually, when I sell the car I will most likely put all the original equipment back.

So lets clear everything up. With everyone on Autopia`s help, this is what I have decided.... not written in stone yet.

Pioneer DEH-P8400 head unit (Unless I find a better deal on the similar Alpine CDA-7894)

Equalizer... For the Pioneer setup -- DEQ-7600 Alpine -- EQ-3343

Kappa 6x9`s I love these, no one is changing my mind on these babies.

Kappa 5 1/4 2-ways

MB Quart 5 1/4 Componets

JBL 80.4 1,2,3, or 4-channel amp <-- Thanks JM!! I saw this one at the store, and not only does it have perfect sound quality its cheap and looks great! :up

Subs... ehhh they would be a nice Birthday present later on. I have spent enough already. :xyxthumbs

So... I ask one last time... How does this system sound?
    ~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    Prinz, I guess we were posting at the same time. :doh

Good suggestion on head units... heh

Im going back into Car Toys again today to check some more things out, I will give the BA`s a look, I have some of those at home... they are as old as I am. Hopefully it will be my last day looking... so next week sometime I will start buying. Thanks, again!
    ~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem. I just went through all of that and then some designing the system for the Maxima.

These are all the changes I have made in planning my system

I have changed Component Speakers Twice (Went from Focals(165 KX and Utopia (165 W3)) to JL Audio XR-653-CSi)

Changed CD Changers Twice (Eclipse 5083 to 5962 to CH 5061)

Added the Audio Control DQT

Changed Subs 3 times (12W3 to 12W3v2 to 12W6v2)

Changed amp configuration (300/4 and 500/1 to 500/5 back to the 300/4-500/1 combo)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by thevolvoguy

Prinz --

I have the same problem. The stock opening in the rear deck is somthing crazy, like 5 1/2 by 8 1/2. Even my door speakers are not going to be flush mounted because the opening is exactly 5 inches. I don`t know what these car companys think they are accomplishing by making my life difficult. heh

Anyway, my salesman at Cartoys said he could just install a bracket that will mount them cleanly, just not as flush as before. IMO thats better than cutting holes, because eventually, when I sell the car I will most likely put all the original equipment back.

So lets clear everything up. With everyone on Autopia`s help, this is what I have decided.... not written in stone yet.

Pioneer DEH-P8400 head unit (Unless I find a better deal on the similar Alpine CDA-7894)

Equalizer... For the Pioneer setup -- DEQ-7600 Alpine -- EQ-3343

Kappa 6x9`s I love these, no one is changing my mind on these babies.

Kappa 5 1/4 2-ways

MB Quart 5 1/4 Componets

JBL 80.4 1,2,3, or 4-channel amp <-- Thanks JM!! I saw this one at the store, and not only does it have perfect sound quality its cheap and looks great! :up

Subs... ehhh they would be a nice Birthday present later on. I have spent enough already. :xyxthumbs

So... I ask one last time... How does this system sound?

<< reserving opinions until he tries out the Bostons.

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s the verdict? :nixweiss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information