Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Q`s about Subs

Post Thanks / Like
    I use to compete in IASCA and do the hole sound quailty thing a few years back. To this day for subs I have stuck with JL subs and PPI amps. I have had 4 sets of JL`s from 10` to 15` I loved them all for differnt reasons. I would recomend them.
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a factory JL box with 3 10" JL subs and a PPI 400W amp that I might be selling soon. The box is sealed and everything is in excellent shape, if not mint, and always performs flawlessly. And, this rig can go from ground pounding to punchy to quiet, depends on what you want it to do! If you or anyone is interested I might throw in the Monster Cable interconnect cables for free. I`m not sure if i could extract my power and ground cables, but I could try....they are 4 gauge, made to handle and flow high current. Just thought I`d throw this out there since I`m probably gonna be selling my car soon....

Anyhow, I`d still recommend JL and PPI to anyone. This combo is very versatile and loud! I sure have enjoyed them in my car!!

Here`s a pic: http://mls77.homestead.com/files/DCP_0010_2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice setup Metallic Mike!!!!

Can`t go wrong with a nice powerful PPI pushing a couple of JL Audio subs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intel486

Not going to be installing it myself so it doesn`t matter but what dose the "Gain control" do?

The only purpose of a gain control is to match the voltage coming off the head unit to the input of the amplifier. If you have shopped for a head unit lately, you have probably seen manufactures touting pre-amp outputs ranging from 2V to around 6V. Some are higher, others lower, but that is not relevant. What’s important is to make sure the gain is properly set on the amp for each individual head unit.

Generally speaking, the more voltage a head unit puts out the less prone the signal will be to pick up interference from other vehicle electrics en-route to the amplifier (good quality interconnects help here too).

If you set the gain on the amp too low, you will not get the full benefit and impact of what your system has to offer. If the gains are set too high, you run the risk of overdriving your amplifier and damaging your speakers through clipping distortion.
    -Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    I always wondered what the pre-amp output range on a headunit did...mine says 12v

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Metallic Mike

I have a factory JL box with 3 10" JL subs and a PPI 400W amp that I might be selling soon. The box is sealed and everything is in excellent shape, if not mint, and always performs flawlessly. And, this rig can go from ground pounding to punchy to quiet, depends on what you want it to do! If you or anyone is interested I might throw in the Monster Cable interconnect cables for free. I`m not sure if i could extract my power and ground cables, but I could try....they are 4 gauge, made to handle and flow high current. Just thought I`d throw this out there since I`m probably gonna be selling my car soon....

Anyhow, I`d still recommend JL and PPI to anyone. This combo is very versatile and loud! I sure have enjoyed them in my car!!

Here`s a pic: http://mls77.homestead.com/files/DCP_0010_2.JPG

hmmm... That box looks like it might be able to fit behind my seats if I keep the seats up, which I do all the time.

Can you give me the dimensions on the box?

Feel free to email me at 1337h4xor@cox.net
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best advice I can give you is to find a knowledgeable car audio shop, and let them give you advice and guidance

I agree 100%. Find a shop who really know what they are doing, just buying items and hoping it will work, will cost a lot more money than doing it right in the first place. A skilled installer can do great things for sound quality and make everything look perfect, without spending $$$$

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intel486

hmmm... That box looks like it might be able to fit behind my seats if I keep the seats up, which I do all the time.

Can you give me the dimensions on the box?

Feel free to email me at 1337h4xor@cox.net

Hey Intel,

I`ll shoot you an email tonight when I get home! The box isn`t tiny, but it`s not huge either. I`ve got the dimensions and specs at home....bare with me!

:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    whoever said they had a 12v preout lol. thats impossible no deck was ever made.

also, whoever said use the best wires, that is an outrage. wire is wire. dont listen to people who really dont know what they are talking about.

www.elitecaraudio.com

dont believe that fosgate, sony, kenwood are the best. they arent that great at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by eldawg4100

whoever said they had a 12v preout lol. thats impossible no deck was ever made.

also, whoever said use the best wires, that is an outrage. wire is wire. dont listen to people who really dont know what they are talking about.

www.elitecaraudio.com

dont believe that fosgate, sony, kenwood are the best. they arent that great at all.

So your trying to say that there is no difference in sound quality between stock speaker wire, and say Monster Cable? I find that extremely hard to believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL ok, take stock 18 gauge wire, and then "monster cable" 18 gauge wire... you will NOT hear a difference...

richard clark (the most celebrated audio guru around) will pay anyone 10000 dollars if they can repeatedly take a double blind listening A/B test

RCA`s are another story, some have great noise rejection properties and shielding...ive installed 100`s of systems and have never heard differences between no name or stock wire to a name brand wire...

Post Thanks / Like
    2 10" JL Audio W3`s, and a JBL BP 600 or 1200 amp is all you need and it shouldn`t be an expensive system either. I have old Rockford Fosgate Punch`s. The old kind, so they`re not the most powerful but I don`t care much about a system and they`re supposedly better than the new Punch`s. JBL BP 300.1 Amp is what I have. Not too powerful, but nice. JL for subs, JBL for amps.

Post Thanks / Like
    JL subs and JBL amps? there are hundreds of other good companies for cheaper really... except those JBL amps are the best deals!! i would be careful putting a 1200.1 on a pair of 10w3`s lol....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information