Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up my new 09 GMC Sierra SLT with leather seats and while reading the thick owners manual I came across the "Care" section and in it, it said not to use any type of leather cleaners/conditioners as they can contain harmful ingredients that can damage/stain the factory leather surfaces?

It said to used a mild soap/water mix and clean terry cloths or something similar?

I was quite surprised at this as I figured it would state the opposite?

I also take it, not all car interior leather is the same? Are some manu`s seats/leather better quality than others? Should I just do as the book says and only clean it peridocially and never condition it afterwards?

I plan on keeping this truck for many years to come so I want it to last. Thanks..........Irv
    74 Pro-Street Monte

09 Sierra SLT, Carbon Black Metallic

Lots of other toys too

Post Thanks / Like
    Just learning this myself. Most new leather seats are sealed so old fashioned leather cleaners and conditioners do no good. That being said, there are a lot of cleaners and conditioners designed for these modern seats (there`s a name for it that I can`t remember - "analine" or something). However, cleaning with dilluted woolite will also be good.

Since you are planning on keeping the truck a long time I`d recommend looking into the conditioners for sealed seats.

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mild soap and water = Woolite cut 10:1 with water.

Terry cloth = Microfiber.

Conditioning the leather can certainly be done. There are lots of good ones out there. You can get stuff like Lexol over the counter. Companies like Poorboy`s World make some nice leather conditioner too.

Keeping the leather clean is 90% of the battle. Once those salts and oils work their way into the leather, it breaks it down. Honestly, my next car with leather is getting a nice sheepskin cover from day 1. At least on the driver`s side. And a nice rubber mat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guy`s, are there any ingredients in a conditioner that I should be specifically looking for, and what aboutones to avoid?

I have read this Woolite thing before browsing these pgs, are you talking the same Woolite that one uses in the washing machine? :think:
    74 Pro-Street Monte

Lots of other toys too

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irv
    Thanks guy`s, are there any ingredients in a conditioner that I should be specifically looking for, and what aboutones to avoid?

I have read this Woolite thing before browsing these pgs, are you talking the same Woolite that one uses in the washing machine? :think:

Yes, the same Woolite. It`s very gentle and safe.

There are some things in conditioners you should avoid, like neatsfoot oil. Not sure about mink oil. And I`d need to check on lanolin too. I`m sure others here with more experience will chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCoach
    Yes, the same Woolite. It`s very gentle and safe.

There are some things in conditioners you should avoid, like neatsfoot oil. Not sure about mink oil. And I`d need to check on lanolin too. I`m sure others here with more experience will chime in.

Thanks for the tips, hopefully some more people chime in with some specific brands that will work good without worry?.......Irv
    74 Pro-Street Monte

Lots of other toys too

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of people like Lexol. I wasn`t particularly impressed with it - had too much of `greasy` feel for me. I just ordered some leather masters stuff but hasn`t gotten here yet. I also have a bottle of Prima Nourish that I haven`t used yet. It is a conditioner for sealed leather seats (been too lazy to look up the correct term )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cptzippy
    A lot of people like Lexol. I wasn`t particularly impressed with it - had too much of `greasy` feel for me. I just ordered some leather masters stuff but hasn`t gotten here yet. I also have a bottle of Prima Nourish that I haven`t used yet. It is a conditioner for sealed leather seats (been too lazy to look up the correct term )

Can you let me know how that new stuff works and what you think of it when it comes in? Thanks..........Irv
    74 Pro-Street Monte

Lots of other toys too

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve read in several places that most of greasy conditioners are not so good for the modern leather. The best are water based, so they maintain moisture in the leather. Another simple tip - using a mist of water on a regular basis. My old leather was really dry and hard, and after a month of water "misting" (2 or 3 times a week) it now really is a lot softer.
    Domas Designs Logo Design, Graphic Design, Business Card/Letterhead design, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Domas
    I`ve read in several places that most of greasy conditioners are not so good for the modern leather. The best are water based, so they maintain moisture in the leather. Another simple tip - using a mist of water on a regular basis. My old leather was really dry and hard, and after a month of water "misting" (2 or 3 times a week) it now really is a lot softer.

Domas, did you wipe up the mist after or did you just let it soak in?
    74 Pro-Street Monte

Lots of other toys too

Post Thanks / Like
    Leather Master`s is what I went with after many days of reading. I did a test on my leather wallet (coated) that has been treated with Pinnacles leather conditioner. Little to no change in feel, tried Leather Masters VITAL and it has really loosened up the leather. The corners of the wallet were very stiff before application, now they are very pliable. Big difference between an oil based conditioner and a water based conditioner on coated leather.

On uncoated leather Pinnacle`s conditioner works great, I use it on my 10 yr old Timberland boots that look like I just pulled them out of the box.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irv
    Domas, did you wipe up the mist after or did you just let it soak in?
    When I came home after shool, park in the garage, the car is still warm, I lightly mist the leather (not wet), close the doors/windows to keep the moisture longer, and leave it like that.

However, on monthly basis or so I`d still like to apply some conditioner, anybody knows 1Z Lederpflege is non greasy? It says it is formulated to specifically address the care and maintenance of finished leather without leaving a greasy film. Anybody tried?

I`ve also heard from interior cleaning guy, that he tried many conditioners, but best so far to soften the leather for him is non-greasy hand moisturising creme, haven`t tried it though...
    Domas Designs Logo Design, Graphic Design, Business Card/Letterhead design, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d give the Black Magic 2-in-1 leather conditioner a shot. I`ve been impressed with it. Apply lightly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leather does not require `conditioning` with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean (this is the most important part) by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning to maintain it.

Adding `conditioners` which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

This type of leather is `coated` leather. This is essentially a `painted` leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will aslo become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

`Conditioners`, balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be

Protect from new

Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product

Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

This will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    JudyB,

What type of leather protectors do you like?

I know some people like to use 303 Protectant but I wasn`t sure if that was a good idea.

One of the easiest and most effective things I have been told to do to leather is once a week or once every other week just take a wet microfiber or terry cloth and wipe down your seats. Then take a dry one and dry them off. I am trying to get into the habit of this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information