Post Thanks / Like
    I`m looking for a navigation system and came across the Garmin nuvi® 265T.

I get very confused about these things. First I read ton of great info about one and then I`ll find a ton of terrible things about it!

I`m looking for a basic, wide screen, non discontinued unit with a few bells and whistles. This one seems to fit the bell.

Anybody have one or have any suggestions?

Garmin Nuvi 265WT - Widescreen and Lifetime Traffic | GPS Lodge - GPSLodge.com

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13430
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Setec bought me one of these (early Christmas present) and I love it! It is very easy to use and has some convenient features, including displaying the current speed limit and the speed you are going. I like the fact I can bring it in to the house to program it in advance. Unfortunately, the "traffic function" doesn`t work very well. If I had to rate it on a scale of 1-10 I would still rate it a 10!!!

:up

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, I have a 200. It usually freezes once every time I used it.

I know the 265 has different maps, and is a different model (200->205, 260->265). I would read some user reviews. Other than that it has saved me so many times.
    :soscared:

Post Thanks / Like
    Spilchy, you can get the 750 at Costco for $199...you`ll have a hard time beating that value. (How important are the traffic reports to you?)

Happy Holidays!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 200W and have had no problems with it. If you haven`t used it in a while it takes a couple minute to aquire the satellites but if I use it regularly, it only takes 30 seconds or so. Otherwise it is a great unit. I`d literally be lost without it.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info guys.

What gets me confused is all the models. Half of them seem to be discontinued. When I compare them, they`re all basically the same thing!

Tom recommends the 750. It has near identical specs as the new 265 but I think the 750 is discontinued. My concern is support for it and if it will be still available going forward.

I guess I`ll buy the one with the most features at the cheapest price. I`m checking out the 770 now. I`ll wait until after the holidays as I see the prices dropping. They`ve dropped dramatically over the past year.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    ..........I guess I`ll buy the one with the most features at the cheapest price...........
    Unless you can actually borrow some and try them out it is hard to decide between different brands much less the different models.

My theory is if you read the reviews and weed out the ones that sound extreme both one way or the other, and stick with a name brand you`ll pretty much do OK. From what I`ve recently read the perfect GPS would be a blend from three different brands. I finally decided on what would be considered a starter GPS that does what I want very well. I figure after using it for about a year I`ll have a better idea of what additional features I`d be willing to pay for, and in that years time they will only get both better and cheaper.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you get the text to speech feature. It will tell you to turn "right on Main St." as opposed to "turn right in 100 ft." all the bells and whistles are great if you really need them but I haven`t needed anything else on my Garmin Street pilot other than text to speech.

Post Thanks / Like
    i bought my GF the 255W for xmas and she loves it. The test to speech is freaking sweet!

Joe
    Joe

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 750 and I would get it again. Although I paid $330 for it just this past summer!
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought the 780 at Best Buy for $299. It is being replaced with the 800 series. The only difference I was told was the new version is voice activated. The 780 originally sold for $599.

Thread Information