it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

With Christmas around the corner, I`m trying to do my shopping now so it`s not last minute crowds and delays. Anyway, I want to get my sister a FM transmitter for an Ipod for her 05 Civic. Unfortunately the Civic is only CD player, or else I`d get a tape deck converter. I know FM transmitters are pretty much the nut low, but I`m wondering if anyone can recommend me a decent one. I just talked to a friend the another night and they we`re saying their $100 from Best Buy totally sucks, static everywhere and needed a different FM frequency often. The one I was looking at from Costco and similar reviews as well.

This unit looked pretty good, and seemed to get good reviews, just wondering if the company is good; or if there we`re any other noticeably better ones out there. Just looking for something that works, is simple and charges the player.

Griffin RoadTrip FM Transmitter - 4031-RDGC - Buy.com

Thanks in advance :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my wife one of these last year for her Subaru.

Made by a company called DLO. I think they go for abut $50 now. It comes with adapter plates for most ipod sizes.

It works pretty well, but using a frequency more towards the middle of the band is better than the low end for some reason.

2003 Black 10th Anniversary SVT Cobra

2001 Icelandic Pearl Nissan Maxima

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re handy or have a good local shop, get something like this and have it put in.

HON98-AUX Honda Auxiliary Input Converter (base)

I`m getting my sister a similar one for her Camry for christmas - we currently have the FM adapters and the constant channel changing and weak bass is starting to wear on us.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Johnny, I`ve yet to hear a positive report about these adapters. I`m in the market for one too. I saw a real nice one made by Belkin but read a few reviews by users and they all seem to suk

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Griffin iTrip that I use in rental cars, but I dunno about the sound quality as I only use it to listen to lectures.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got the iTrip as well. We had a Belkin at first, and quickly returned it because it was way too fussy about its position in relation to the radio antennae.

After owning the Belkin, the iTrip is a huge step up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the iTrip is really user-friendly.

Mine has always worked without any hitches and I was able to intuitively figure it out with no problems at all after forgetting to take the manual with me; you oughta RTFM (for a whole minute or two ), but it`s not like you need to *study* it or anything.

But I doubt that such devices will have the sound quality to satisfy true audiophiles...

Post Thanks / Like
    When you guys talk about the `position in relationship to the antenna`, why is that a concern? Many new cars have the antenna embedded in the rear glass. Does the iTrip need to be near the rear glass to make it more effective??

Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no good FM Transmitters for iPods IMHO. I`ve tried the Belkin, Griffin, Monster and DLO. I was happy with NONE of them. It seemed like I was forever changing FM channels to get it to sound good, and when it did sound "good" it wasn`t really that good. Needless to say I bought a new head unit with an AUX IN port on the back that I have my iPod running through. The sound quality is a night and day difference.

I would strongly suggest getting an AUX unit like one themightytimmah posted and either install it yourself or have a shop do it. Trust me you will thank yourself later for "doing it right" the first time around. The sound quality is worlds better and you don`t have to fumble around trying to pair up FM stations.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX • 2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 • 2007 Ducati Monster

R-KIVE Studios::Bringing Visions to Life

Rob G
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    If you`re handy or have a good local shop, get something like this and have it put in.

HON98-AUX Honda Auxiliary Input Converter (base)

I`m getting my sister a similar one for her Camry for christmas - we currently have the FM adapters and the constant channel changing and weak bass is starting to wear on us.

If it`s a 2005, it should have the HON03 CD changer interface.

To answer the OP`s question, there are no good FM interfaces for good quality music IMHO. Get an adapter that plugs into the CD changer interface similar to the one posted above, just make sure it`s the right one. The good ones give you decent control of the IPOD from the stereo.

On my Honda Fit, the stock head unit comes with a CD changer port even though none of the models come with a changer from the manufacturer. I got a 3rd party mp3 player which plugs into the HU cd changer port and it works great. I was able to get it plugged in without pulling the headunit. You might be able to do the same thing on your Honda but I can`t say for sure since the Fit is the first Honda I`ve owned. Check the compatibility with your car model on the adapter manufacturer`s website.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an iTrip and actually like it. I drive from Milwaukee, WI, down to Cape Coral, FL, and back regularly and only need change the frequency once, around Nashville, TN. The audio quality is just fine when you take into account the road noise at freeway speeds. When stopped, or moving at city speeds, the lack of frequency response is noticeable, however. Yet it is nice to be able to jump into any of my vehicles or rentals with the iPod and listen to my favorite playlists. Another plus is that it is inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    When you guys talk about the `position in relationship to the antenna`, why is that a concern? Many new cars have the antenna embedded in the rear glass. Does the iTrip need to be near the rear glass to make it more effective??

Never had any issues like that with mine. Some of the rentals had the antennas in the rear glass and the iTrip did fine sitting on the front seat or in the console (and even when it fell down on the floor). I`ve never had to give a moment`s thought to its position relative to the car`s antenna.

Never had to do a whole lot of channel-surfing either, the whole thing has been quite hassle-free IME.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob22315
    If it`s a 2005, it should have the HON03 CD changer interface.

To answer the OP`s question, there are no good FM interfaces for good quality music IMHO. Get an adapter that plugs into the CD changer interface similar to the one posted above, just make sure it`s the right one. The good ones give you decent control of the IPOD from the stereo.

On my Honda Fit, the stock head unit comes with a CD changer port even though none of the models come with a changer from the manufacturer. I got a 3rd party mp3 player which plugs into the HU cd changer port and it works great. I was able to get it plugged in without pulling the headunit. You might be able to do the same thing on your Honda but I can`t say for sure since the Fit is the first Honda I`ve owned. Check the compatibility with your car model on the adapter manufacturer`s website.

+1, if the civic has a CD changer port with no changer or even occasionally the wiring may have a hidden aux or similar port in the harness, Rob is spot on. A few bolts and you can check it out if your inclined.

If your not up to the install yourself, for the price of an AUX cable/install would be similar to an off-the-shelf transmitter and far superior sound quality. FM transmitters further degrade MP3 sound quality IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Never had any issues like that with mine. Some of the rentals had the antennas in the rear glass and the iTrip did fine sitting on the front seat or in the console (and even when it fell down on the floor). I`ve never had to give a moment`s thought to its position relative to the car`s antenna.

Sounds very good. I`ll give this one a try.

Thanks for the comments

Thread Information