Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just sold my Canon Powershot A620 camera.

I`m looking for a good point and shoot type camera. I sold the A620 because I didn`t think it had good color to it, the photo`s kind of looked washed out and bland. I could never really get a good "flake" shot of car paint either, it never really popped out in the pics.

I`m looking at the - Canon Rebel EOS XT. However, I see this camera comes in a silver and black color what are the differences? Just basically looking to use it to take pics of the car I really want the pics to be colorful, and show the depth of paint and what not.

I was also reading up on the Nikon D70...seems to be a little less than the Rebel. Reviews?

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a Cannon SD870is, it takes amazing pictures for a pocket camera, it was like $350ish

Post Thanks / Like
    if you want to stay with Canon, I`d say get the S3

We have one and it takes amazing pictures. However my next camera will be a Nikon (D60 or D80)

SUPER MICRO

Post Thanks / Like
    No diff between the XT Silver and Black (but IMO the silver is for `````-boys if black is available )

EDIT: ALSO.. sounds like you don`t wanna spend tons of money but that`s ok. STILL, I`d get a body-only XT, rather than getting it with the 18-55 kit lens. Instead, buy the 18-55 IS which can be had for between 100-200. Though one would think it is the same plus image stabilization, it actually has different glass and is far better for a low-end lens!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drew.haynes
    No diff between the XT Silver and Black (but IMO the silver is for `````-boys if black is available )

EDIT: ALSO.. sounds like you don`t wanna spend tons of money but that`s ok. STILL, I`d get a body-only XT, rather than getting it with the 18-55 kit lens. Instead, buy the 18-55 IS which can be had for between 100-200. Though one would think it is the same plus image stabilization, it actually has different glass and is far better for a low-end lens!

So the 18-55, and 18-55 IS are definitely lenses? Who sells the body only best price?

Post Thanks / Like
    Idk what you mean by "they are definitely lenses". Lol.

I would say from a DEALER, b&h is a good supplier - very reputable. Personally, I like to buy gear used from fredmiranda.com. Lots of top-notch pro photographers that are generally very honest and keep their equipment in A+ condition.. probably your CHEAPEST bet on a good used XT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Idk what you mean by "they are definitely lenses". Lol.

I would say from a DEALER, b&h is a good supplier - very reputable. Personally, I like to buy gear used from fredmiranda.com. Lots of top-notch pro photographers that are generally very honest and keep their equipment in A+ condition.. probably your CHEAPEST bet on a good used XT.

Sorry meant to say they are different lenses? IS/Non IS.

Also, dealer online or in store? I`ll check out fredmiranda and see what they have.

Thanks for the info. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah yes, the 18-55 (non-IS) that comes with the XTs and XTIs is entirely different glass than the IS version. Better sharpness and color on the IS version

Post Thanks / Like
    Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera With 28-90mm Lens - Black(CANXTBKKIT) and other affordable Digital SLR at 6ave.com.

I think I might just buy the body, and then the 50mm f/1.8 II lens. Total would be about $405.00

Thinking about going with that kit. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Idk if you are saying you do want that 28-90mm lens with it or not. I`m not real familiar with it but it looks like it is a Canon brand lens so you should be able to read reviews on it in the reviews section at the top of fredmiranda.com.

As far as the 50mm 1.8 Mk II.. stunning glass for the price (about 85 bucks at b&h). The only complaint anyone has about that lens is its plastic build, but as long as you don`t drop it or anything you should be fine. Otherwise you can look for a used deal on a 50mm 1.8 Mk I, which is a much older lens. Works the same, same glass, but a metal mount. Those 50mm primes both provide fantastic color and sharpness, as well as low-light capability with that f1.8 aperture! It`s all a matter of preference. Some people refuse to buy a prime lens (fixed, like this one @ 50mm), and will only use lenses with some zoom, but then others say, "that`s what shoes are for". Personally, if you are ok with only 50mm focal length (which should be fine for shooting still objects like cars), the image quality of that 50mm prime will blow the 18-55 kit lens out of the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Idk if you are saying you do want that 28-90mm lens with it or not. I`m not real familiar with it but it looks like it is a Canon brand lens so you should be able to read reviews on it in the reviews section at the top of fredmiranda.com.

As far as the 50mm 1.8 Mk II.. stunning glass for the price (about 85 bucks at b&h). The only complaint anyone has about that lens is its plastic build, but as long as you don`t drop it or anything you should be fine. Otherwise you can look for a used deal on a 50mm 1.8 Mk I, which is a much older lens. Works the same, same glass, but a metal mount. Those 50mm primes both provide fantastic color and sharpness, as well as low-light capability with that f1.8 aperture! It`s all a matter of preference. Some people refuse to buy a prime lens (fixed, like this one @ 50mm), and will only use lenses with some zoom, but then others say, "that`s what shoes are for". Personally, if you are ok with only 50mm focal length (which should be fine for shooting still objects like cars), the image quality of that 50mm prime will blow the 18-55 kit lens out of the water.

Great. I think I finally have my mind made up. Get the Rebel XT body, and the 50mm 1.8 lens. Should provide me with what I need. I would also maybe like to do some nature photography, how would that 50mm lens be for outdoors type shooting?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the Nikon D40 when it was on sale at Best Buy. It works great and takes great pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Outdoor objects and such, should be good. If you are referring to LANDSCAPES, may not always be wide enough for what you want. Still, I don`t think you`ll ever regret having the 50 prime over the 18-55. The IQ is so much better and the lens has such a huge aperture, 90% of the time, the 50 prime will be a more capable lens than the 18-55.

EDIT: And also, always best to have good glass over a good body. You can always change the body if you get alot more "into" photography. There are some people using 5D`s that still have that "nifty fifty" lens. Smart to go with the XT over the XTi or XSi IMO.. it`s cheap, and then in a year or so if you wanna move up, you may find yourself looking for used 30Ds or 40Ds, you never know.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty amazing stuff, and I read some reviews and it seems like an all around good lens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information