Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife recently bought me a Sirius radio for my car. She was a little unsure what to buy and wanted to surprise me, so she went with what was recommended at the store. I`d been thinking of getting XM, so I might swap that out.

My problem is that my stereo has no AUX input, so with the device she bought I`d be stuck with the FM transmitter. I once tried a cheapo FM transmitter for my MP3 and gave up on that, it was pitiful quality even for talk shows. Is there a better transmitter in most of the satellite radios? My thought is that since my factory stereo has a tape deck in addition to the in-dash CD changer, perhaps I could get a quality signal if I had a satellite radio I could plug into a cassette adapter.

I`m just looking for options here, I`m open to advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    that easy you want one of these:

eBay: Sirius Radio Direct Wire FM Modulator Adapter FMDA25 (item 330126739227 end time Jun-05-07 08:04:22 PDT)

I think you can get them a little cheaper @ Bestbuy

the fm modulator is leaps and bounds beter quality then the fm transmitter because it is a direct connect

note: you will need to remove your head unit to get to the antenna connection on the back

and you might need adapters for the in/out connection (but them at Autozone or online not bestbuy)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive had both and Sirius is far far superior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, what Jim recommended will work! I bought the same thing for my Sirius radio but still need to go out and buy another attachment so it works.

I also switched from XM to Sirius and love it...it`s only going to get better when the companies officially merge.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both now, and you are correct....Sirius is by far a superior unit. My boat has XM, but cars and home have Sirius. It is not even close with the amount of content differential now.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of car is it for? There are several aftermarket AUX-IN adapters. IMO that`s the only way to go. Even the best FM modulator doesn`t come close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. I have a 2001 Chrysler LHS with a factory Infinity head unit. The stock amp claims 360 watts and I`ve added a 10" Infinity Perfect 10 sub with a 400W amp. AUX adapters have been discussed a fair amount on a Chrysler forum I`m on and the closest anyone`s come has been to hijack the feed for one of the CD changer slots. Other people have had trouble duplicating this though, so I don`t think I want to go that route.

I didn`t know about the modulator option. Is it that superior to just using the cassette adapter?

Can you guys elaborate a little on the differences between Sirius and XM? I`ve heard a little in the past about a possible merger, but I haven`t been paying much attention lately.

BTW, my wife got me the Starmate 4. Any opinions on that receiver?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by velobard

Can you guys elaborate a little on the differences between Sirius and XM? I`ve heard a little in the past about a possible merger, but I haven`t been paying much attention lately.

BTW, my wife got me the Starmate 4. Any opinions on that receiver?

Mainly the difference is just the choice of stations and variety. To me XM was kinda all the same and it only gave you 2 stations for each kind of music. Sirius is more superior giving 5-6 stations per genre..and the stations are different! Many times on XM I could turn from one hip-hop station to another and they would be playing the same songs, whats the point of having 5 different stations if they all play the same songs just at different times? To me Sirius has more variety between the stations themselves.

As for the Starmate 4..I have the Sportster 4 and was accidently sent the Starmate first...it looked like a very cool headunit. If I could do it over, I wish I would have purchased this unit...STILETTO SL100 - Shop Sirius I`m really kicking myself for not looking into it more when I was shopping around...eventually though I will be break down and purchase it because I want another portable mp3 player without having to purchase each individual song and this unit lets you record 10 hours of Sirius Radio!

And the merger...it should occur at the end of 2007. Basically they are going to combine the two companies/stations and get rid of repetitive stations that are so similar. Before I left my XM subscription many of the stations were kidding about not having their jobs soon due to the merger...but I guess we will see. Whatever happens..all I know is I will never listen to regular radio again. HD Radio or not...it still has commercials and a lack of music I am interested in listening too.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cassette adapter will work and sounds great. I use that currently, although the antennae adapter in the second post is better so you don`t have the wire hanging out of your radio.

The only real problem I have with the cassette adapter (other than the wire hanging out) is that there is a volume difference between my cassette mode and AM/FM mode. So, if I change back to FM, it`s loud as sh*t unless I remember to turn it down first.

If you`re pinched for money, or just don`t want to pull your head unit, the cassette adapter will do just fine. But, pulling the head unit is not really that hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been researching a fair bit the last couple of days and I think I`m going to wind up going with the Stiletto 100. Thanks to Josh for the tip on that one. By doing a little digging I found out I can use my AAA membership for a discount and it looks like I can combine that with another discount code i found on a Sirius forum to get the main unit for about $170. Of course there`s still the car dock and probably home dock, but I`ll try not to add everything up in my head, LOL.

Man I`m feeling poor. On Friday I also ordered a Garmin 680, the last one Sams Club online had available. Can anyone spare a dime?

Post Thanks / Like
    The other option still stands that if you have a CD changer there are multiple adapters (PIE for one) that offer an AUX adapter via this connection

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EOppie
    The other option still stands that if you have a CD changer there are multiple adapters (PIE for one) that offer an AUX adapter via this connection
    Since I`m pretty well ignorant about this kind of stuff, can you give me a lead on where to find this kind of thing? Since my head unit has a tape deck along with the CD changer, I`ve been wondering if I could somehow hijack the tape feed for a direct wire connection, but this would surely mean digging inside the head unit and be beyond my capabilities.

I changed my mind again, I decided not to spend the $ right now on the S100 and just went with the Starmate 4. I just got it activated last night and I`m on my free month I get with my AAA membership. There`s a good chance I`ll go ahead and spring for the lifetime deal for $399 before that deal expires at the end of July.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the install thread on SIRIUS Backstage for ideas. If you can go with the PIE aux-in or 1/8" stereo adapter you will be much happier than any of the other options. I`ve had sat radio for a long time now and have on occasion used the FM transmitter and hated it every time. Couldn`t wait until I could go aux-in again.

I`ve got the Starmate as well. You`ll love it.
    Autoeng

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a built in CD changer, you may be out of luck. Trying a simple search on google for "Aux Input Adapter" yield some ver good results. There is also this adapter I found by plugging in your radio on crutchfield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information