Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HID lights

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT
    jsatek, IIRC you bought an inexpensive HID kit so I`m curious to know which kit you got and do you think those are real Bosch ballasts or Chinese knock-offs?

I don`t doubt they`re real. I`ve seen cheap kits come with hella ballasts as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by victory
    I don`t doubt they`re real. I`ve seen cheap kits come with hella ballasts as well.

Oh there is no doubt that is fake. IIRC osch never made ballasts that looked like that, those are cheap chinese knock offs of Hella Gen III ballasts. Bosch never even made HID kits, EVER.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not surprising.

Post Thanks / Like
    are all headlights not adjustable? If for some reason your headlight beams cannot be adjusted up/down and left/right, then yeah maybe don`t use HID`s, but if they are, go ahead and adjust them accordingly. I`ve never seen HID`s in a car that couldn`t be adjusted down and worked perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set I put into my fiances 99 Accord they work great. When I first put them in we waited till night I had the car parked on the street with the lights on I drove my car commin at it and driving away from it it was blinding. Pulled the car in the garage and aimed the lights down a lil bit and did the same test and no problems. We have been driving it now for 5 months with 0 people flashing us or anything. They are a great approvement and for only $90.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80
    are all headlights not adjustable? ... I`ve never seen HID`s in a car that couldn`t be adjusted down and worked perfectly.

Adjusting won`t solve the problem if the reflector/lens messes with the output in certain ways. I had a conversion like this on the M3 at one point and no matter how you adjusted the lights it was never right for both the driver and oncoming traffic. The reflectors (made for the characteristics of regular halogen bulbs) scattered the HID`s bright light in ways that was very irritating to anybody looking at them.

How lights behave is primarily a matter of the reflector and lenses working *in tandem* with the bulbs...the combination simply has to be right or all the up/down right/left adjustments in the world won`t fix it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my HID`s off of Ebay for $70 shipped. It was a pretty good deal. I had to do some modding to the ballasts to get it to fit right, but they still work. I did Hid`s in the stock housing and the glare is terrible with them. I wouldnt be surprised if people got pissed off at me because of them. I know they blind people because my friend did 6000k bulbs in his car and it blinded the crap out of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hXc drummer23
    I.. they still work. I did Hid`s in the stock housing and the glare is terrible with them. I wouldnt be surprised if people got pissed off at me because of them. I know they blind people because my friend did 6000k bulbs in his car and it blinded the crap out of me.

If I were you I`d change them back. Seriously..what if you actually cause injury to somebody? If you`re not concerned about that [insert lecture here] then consider that if the person who gets ticked off happens to be an on-duty LEO you could be in for an unpleasant experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hXc drummer23
    I got my HID`s off of Ebay for $70 shipped. It was a pretty good deal. I had to do some modding to the ballasts to get it to fit right, but they still work. I did Hid`s in the stock housing and the glare is terrible with them. I wouldnt be surprised if people got pissed off at me because of them. I know they blind people because my friend did 6000k bulbs in his car and it blinded the crap out of me.

I installed 6K HIDs in my Scion xB and it too took a little work to install but it`s done the right way and does not blind people to death. But it was much more than $70. I put a fused wire harness with two relays so the power draws directly from the battery. It has four ballest, two true hi/low beam HID bulbs. The headlights has the cover over the bulbs. So far no one has yet to flash me. After installing HIDs, I will never go back to standard halogens.
    If you do not change what your doing today, tomorrow will be no different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    If I were you I`d change them back. Seriously..what if you actually cause injury to somebody? If you`re not concerned about that [insert lecture here] then consider that if the person who gets ticked off happens to be an on-duty LEO you could be in for an unpleasant experience.

Actually, they were 10000k bulbs. I just found out yesterday that he changed them to 10000k. But nobody has flashed me yet about my headlight.

Post Thanks / Like
    how does he even see with 10,000k bulbs? Let`s hope it doesn`t rain often where he lives. I would think he`s better off with his stock halogens.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Projector Headlights with 6K headlights, and 6k HID fogs.........

That is the proper way to upgrade to HID. Replace the halogen housings with Projector headlights

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have some Sylvania Xenarc remote control HID fogs, I had them for 2 years but still have not installed them. I hate crawling under a car to install lights.
    If you do not change what your doing today, tomorrow will be no different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got 3 sets of HIDs on my truck- Ive been through about 6 different sets over the years. My best advice is to buy the cheap $75 ones on ebay, but make sure they come with a 1 year warranty. Ive had a few bulbs go out but I just send them back and get new ones under warranty, no prob.

The highs/lows are 8000K and the fogs are 12K

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information