Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Upgrading your electrical system is a good idea too. Run an extra charging cable from the alternator. Add a bigger grounding cable. Remember that what goes out must come in. So if you are running a 4 guage power wire to your amps, then you also need to upgrade your batteries ground cable with a 4 gauge. Here`s mine.

05 Black Tacoma Double Cab V6 4x4 TRD Sport

My CarDomain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pb2theMax
    Upgrading your electrical system is a good idea too. Run an extra charging cable from the alternator. Add a bigger grounding cable. Remember that what goes out must come in. So if you are running a 4 guage power wire to your amps, then you also need to upgrade your batteries ground cable with a 4 gauge. Here`s mine.

Josh, this is the "BIG 3" upgrade I was telling you about, eliminates the need for a cap.

Nice install PB.:dance
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, given what you posted, if the installers don`t suck, you should have a very nice sounding car. Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCoach
    Well, given what you posted, if the installers don`t suck, you should have a very nice sounding car. Congrats!

Thank you! My friend is actually installing it for me..he is a "system guru" when it comes to installs. And if the install does suck...looks like I have one less friend :bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Few last minute questions guys...We are installing the sub and amp tomorrow afternoon. I have installed Elemental Designs sound deadening on all 4 doors and behind my license plate.

I need to still pick up a line out adapter tomorrow to hold me over until I get a new head unit..but I was wondering should I probably upgrade my battery as well when I get the chance?

I found something laying around that is absolutely perfect for mounting my amps/capacitor/fuse box so I will take pictures tomorrow after we get everything installed! :bounce

Wish me luck on setting the amp correctly

Post Thanks / Like
    Upgrading the electrical system is a good idea. You don`t necessarly have to replace the battery. Go to Home of the Batcap They have some really nice capacitors....well actually they will start a car so they are really a small battery but they discharge like a capacitor. As said before, upgrade the big 3. Another forum you can get alot of info from the top guys in the industry is EliteCarAudio.com : Your one stop resource for mobile audio and electronics on the net. You should be able to find answers to any questions you have. I`m an all out sound quality guy myself.

My old truck that I never completely finished before selling:

Post Thanks / Like
    ^

12 char

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that Morel or DLS I spy?

Josh, I would say for now, upgrading to the big 3 should be the only upgrade needed for your system. You may not even need that. You will be running about 800watts continuous, a good stock system is good for running that.

Still recomend upgrading the big 3, will eliminate the need for your cap.

Good luck this weekend, have fun and dont get frustrated. Something will happen, a fuse will blow, a wire will fall of the terminal, but it is minor, just get over it and have fun doing this, welcome to the addiction.
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Neither! Dynaudio!

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright guys, went today to pick up some RCA cables and I also picked up a line out converter for my factory headunit.

I bought the 2 channel, there is also a 4 channel available.

My sub amp is a one channel and my front stage amp is a 2 channel...should I return the 2 channel for the 4 channel? It`s all too confusing to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I read that you are using 1 component set and 1 subwoofer right? If so all you really need is the monoblock for your sub, and a 2 channel for the front unless you want to power the tweeters with the front side of the 4 channel and the mid on the rear. I run an amp on my tweeters, 1 on my midrange, 1 on my midbass, and 1 on my sub. I do all of this for a reason but if you are using a factory head unit with line out converter then the 2 channel and the mono will work just fine. If you have anymore questions just pm me and I`ll do all I can to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Josh, you will need the 4-ch model. First 2 to power each of your RCA`s on your front stage amp. The second 2 to power each RCA on your sub amp.

Just get either 2 2channel LOC or one 4 ch. Look up line output converter on caraudioforum.com for more info.

Good luck.
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to tweak things on my system as they aren`t sounding 100% yet, I know when my front speakers/amp come in it will hopefully make a big difference but also I was pointed towards a new headunit.

Can anyone tell me if this will fit my 04 Grand Prix?

Audiosavings.com

I know I will probably have to buy one of those GM wiring harness things or whatever...but is it going to fit and will I need some sort of dash install kit?

I just don`t want to buy this one if it is too big or isn`t going to work

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys I figured it was time for an update...Got the sub and my amp in last week, it sounded okay but now what I expected. It sounded like there was too much bass trying to go too my front speakers so I could hear a lot of distortion. Well today I had some time so I installed my CDT 6 1/2" speakers and tweeters. They didn`t exactly fit the mount my Grand Prix has so some modifications had to be made for them to fit.

All in all I think it sounds 50 times better today than it did with just the sub installed. I have yet to install my speaker amp so right now they are just running off the factory headunit until probably tomorrow.

Next in line will be a headunit replacement and some 6x9`s for the rear speakers. Have the headunit mounting stuff arriving Monday so I just have to find one I like!

On to the pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    For the speakers up front you may want to look into a deflex pad or a closed cell foam to absorb some of the backwaves from the speakers so there isn`t a resonance. Also......I have to be a little critical on the wiring job. It wouldn`t be very hard to completely hide those wires. You can make a small cut in the carpet and run it up through it or even mount the amp and capacitor on the back of the seat. I`m just a neat freak and can`t stand seeing any wires. I am glad to see that there is some deadening in the doors though. Let me know when you get the new head unit. I would look into something that has time correction so you can get better imaging. Doors aren`t the best place for speakers to go but can get decent sound if setup right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information