Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, what are people using to clean camera lenses? I’ve got a couple of different kits from camera supply shops and from camera mfrs. They generally consist of sheets of paper and a mystery solution in a dropper bottle. I’m not real comfortable using them and they sure don’t do a great job. One of the solutions leaves a very visible haze on the lens. I don’t get it.

Also, one of the cameras has a tiny lens that hides behinds mechanical shutters when powered off. The lens is so small that using something like a Q-tip is one of the only technique that works.

What are other folks doing? MF towels? Solutions? Potions?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, blow off any excess dust with a bulb blower (not canned air or anything like that). Then, use a high quality brush and lightly brush off anything that might still be on there. Then, use a microfiber towel (I use the ones from photo shops) and apply the lens solution to the towel, not directly on the lens. Then lightly apply it (don`t put too much pressure, you don`t need to rub). After you`ve sufficiently cleaned the entire area of the lens, use a dry side of the cloth to buff off any excess. You shouldn`t have a haze this way.

I would suggest getting a quality filter for your lens. Its much better to damage and replace a filter than to damage the sensitive coatings on a camera lens.

Another thing to remember is dust and other small issues on the front element of a camera lens have little to no effect on the final image. Constantly cleaning the front elements to remove insignificant pieces of dust will only lead to eventual coating damage which will have an effect on the photographs. Now, dust and other issues on the rear element will have a more dramatic effect on the photograph.

Anyways, clean it carefully, get a filter, don`t take the filter off. That`s probably the best way to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t used them myself, but I`ve been meaning to pick one up to see how well it works on the digicam: LENSPEN

If you should try out a LensPen, please share a review.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom P.- Check this site out: Cleaning Digital Sensors, Cleaning Digital Caameras Photographic Solutions, Inc. - Digital & Photographic Cleaning Solutions . I haven`t gotten around to ordering from them yet so no first-hand experience, but some *good* camera repair folks have vouched for them with no reservations at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Tom P.- Check this site out: Cleaning Digital Sensors, Cleaning Digital Caameras Photographic Solutions, Inc. - Digital & Photographic Cleaning Solutions . I haven`t gotten around to ordering from them yet so no first-hand experience, but some *good* camera repair folks have vouched for them with no reservations at all.

It looks like most if not all the products on your link are for cleaning a digital camera`s CCD, and not the lens.

The best CCD cleaning equipment and chemicals are found at http://www.visibledust.com

I`ve been using their stuff for over a year on my Nikon D100. Work FAR better than anything else I`ve tried.

As far as lens cleaners are concerned, try Ultra Clariity from Film Tools in Burkank, CA. Ultra Claritiy Lens Cleaner. 6 oz Spray Bottle.

Film Tools is a motion picture supply house and Ulta Clarity is the same lens cleaner Ziess sells under their house brand except UC costs $4.99 for SIX OUNCES!

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, thanks for the recommendations. I am not trying to clean the CCD...don`t even know how to access it.

I do have the bulb style blower. I can try that. Problem is, I frequently use the cameras where it`s dusty or near the ocean and frequent cleaning/haze removal seems necessary. Maybe I shouldn`t worry about it so much :nixweiss

I do have an adapter and a UV filter I can use, but it adds a 1.5" to the front end of the camera it`s sorta bulky.

I`ll try the camera MF towels...they`re probably my best solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseAWD
    I haven`t used them myself, but I`ve been meaning to pick one up to see how well it works on the digicam: LENSPEN

If you should try out a LensPen, please share a review.

Tort

Great product. I love mine. I use it on the lens and the sensor. You still need to use a cleaning solution and cloth to get off the film, but it works great for dust. Just remember don`t touch the brush part with your hand or skin. Everyone seems to do that, pick it up and feel how soft the bristles are. All you are doing is putting oils from your skin on it. I use a eye glass cleaning solution and Kimwipes on my lens. For those of you with SLR cameras, always always use at least a clear filter on the front to protect the lens.
    Scott

Thread Information