Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s some positive news for Nuvi owners who HAVE NOT registered their product yet:

I was on their website a couple weeks back and decided to see if I qualify for the update to City Navigator 2008. My wife bought mine last Xmas, so I wouldn`t have qualified for it but since I hadn`t registered my unit yet, all they asked me for qualification was my serial #, where I purchased it, and when it was purchased. I told them which store and gave them a recent date. Sure enough, it said I qualify and less than 3 weeks later, I have the disc for the update.

The more I`ve been using it, the more I`m beginning to notice little things that bother me a bit. One thing is how late it prompts you when to turn or get on an onramp. I normally use mine with the TTS (Text-To-Speach) feature enabled, so I don`t know if this could be the problem in the delay. But by the time it "dings" for me to turn left or do whatever it wants me to do, I`m already about to do that. It`s not a big deal if you`re in an area you`re familiar with, but in unfamiliar areas, not only do you have to listen closely to the voice prompts but you also have to pay attention to what`s going on on the screen. You can`t entirely depend on voice prompts.

On OEM navigation systems, even though a lot of them lack TTS, the countdown feature is pretty accurate. It gives you a better approximation of when you need to turn.

This little problem wouldn`t stop me from buying the unit again. Everything has its flaws. This is just a minor issue, at least for me. It`s a REALLY user-friendly unit. I`m computer-savvy and I have trouble figuring out some OEM nav units. My father-in-law, who`s turning 80 this month with dementia, possibly Alzheimer setting in, sat in my passenger seat the other night when a call came through on the Nuvi, and he easily figured out to press the button that said "answer call". This is a guy who couldn`t even figure out the USB key I bought him some XMas`s ago, still can`t figure out how to use TiVo, and sometimes can`t even read time on the clock or his watch. It`s so easy to use, it doesn`t even come with printed instructions. I believe the instructions are on the disc, but I`ve never had to look at it.

But if you`re in the market for one and a friend has a TomTom or another portable nav, try it out and see what you think about it. I`ve yet to try out a TomTom extensively other than in-store demos so I don`t know if it has this problem or not. Better yet, I would buy it from Costco or Sam`s Club because you can easily return it if you`re not happy with it. Other places charge you a 10% restocking fee. I have a feeling that has to do with people who buy things with the intention of using it once, like on a weekend trip, and returning it. They do the same thing for camcorders, radar detectors, and other items of that nature.

Oh, and if you get the Nuvi, save yourself the time and trouble and get the friction mount. Even for other units, I would suggest getting a friction mount because you can easily hide it from view. It`s $40 well spent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any alternatives to the Nuvi250/350? As a first GPS unit it seems like a great buy, a bit high on price but rumors are they`ll fall down in price near Holiday/Black Friday considering how old they are. I don`t see the need for FM/Radio and extras, just something easy to use for road use. I could see the use of bluetooth though!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information