Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mixxmstrmike
    Thanks for the info... I eventually went with the Nuvi 360 per BlackElantraGT`s eagle eyes on that Fry`s ad. I`ve got a Hawaii trip and I`m inputting "a few" favorite addresses and it`s simply a breeze to work with. I used a friend`s Nuvi 350 last year and thought it was the coolest thing...

I didn`t think I would use the bluetooth feature with my cell phone, but after using it the first time, I was hooked. I put a 4GB SD card in my 360 and it`s now my IPOD, if you will. This will get hooked up into our Pilot which has an auxiliary input so I "should" be able to have phone conversations over the stock stereo speakers... at least that`s my hypothesis at this point... We`ll put that to the test over the weekend.

-Mike

I`m glad you`re liking the nuvi 360. I too, never thought I`d find the Bluetooth to be useful, especially since I don`t use my cell as much as other users, but I don`t think I`d like the unit no where near as much if I didn`t have this function. I`ve been using it through the internal speaker because I live in the greater LA area so it`s impossible to find a good weak signal for the FM transmitter. I do wish however that the FM transmitter was better, because I can get better reception with my Belkin unit than with the Nuvi`s FM transmitter.

It`s gonna come in really handy in Hawaii. I`m glad I ended up keeping it because I would have been lost in Hawaii without it. It was nice to be able to go anywhere I wanted to go in a completely foreign town without having to look at a map, print directions, or stop and ask for directions. Unfortunately, the FM TMC traffic does not have service in Hawaii.

Don`t forget to have some shrimp from the shrimp trucks alongside the road!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT
    Don`t forget to have some shrimp from the shrimp trucks alongside the road!

Uncle Romy`s Shrimp Truck in Kahuku kicks butt! Garlic shrimp over rice, please!

I second the thought that it`s a life saver on trips to foreign/unfamiliar places. You would think I was a local by the way I was taking side roads to get to where we were going. That`s why I stress so much on the "recalculation" feature...

Often times, when I hit freeway traffic in Hawaii, I would take my nearest exit, and not the "pre-planned" route suggested by the Nuvi. Sure enough, the Nuvi is pluggin` away trying to figure out your next "move."

We`ll be island hopping this trip so it`ll come in handy not just in Oahu, but also in Hilo and Maui! :heelclick

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMike
    For those interested, Circuit City has a deal going on the TomTom One, this weekend only. Enter coupon code 7UATPXBAGZ at checkout for $50 off, making the One $249, and has free shipping I believe. Best deal I`ve seen on this unit.

Also, has anyone purchased or looked into the Mio C310x GPS? I have done a lot of reading on that unit, and it seems to get a lot of praise on the net for it`s bargain price. For $199 (or less), I might give it a shot also!

Wow $249 is a great price for the TomTom ONE good find! I don`t know that much about Mio`s but I have heard they have great maps!

Also wanted to add that I am happy to hear everyone is satisfied with their gps purchases! I don`t see how anyone can live without a unit these days it definitely transforms your driving experience...and only a few short years ago they were considered a rarity… jeez

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a favorite GPS that comes with traffic updates? Also, what level of updates are provided. Just highways? All major streets?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m intrigued with the Nuvi 360, and the tomtom, but I really like the Bluetooth feature on the Nuvi.

Is there an audio output on the Nuvi that allows it to be plugged into an auxillary jack if the vehicle is so equipped? My question is whether or not I can be playing MP3`s through my truck`s speadkers using the Nuvi, then it would interrupt itself when voice prompts are given, or a phone call comes in, and will it let me hear a phone conversation on the trucks speakers if hooked up through an audio jack.

Sorry for the complicated question, but if I know a unit will do this, I`m buying one immediately.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Krodad
    I`m intrigued with the Nuvi 360, and the tomtom, but I really like the Bluetooth feature on the Nuvi.

Is there an audio output on the Nuvi that allows it to be plugged into an auxillary jack if the vehicle is so equipped? My question is whether or not I can be playing MP3`s through my truck`s speadkers using the Nuvi, then it would interrupt itself when voice prompts are given, or a phone call comes in, and will it let me hear a phone conversation on the trucks speakers if hooked up through an audio jack.

Sorry for the complicated question, but if I know a unit will do this, I`m buying one immediately.

Thanks

There`s a standard headphone jack on the Nuvi. This can be used as an audio output. This worked like a charm for me over the weekend. I added an auxiliary port on our `04 Honda Pilot to accept an mp3 player and it works perfectly. I was able to play my mp3s from my Nuvi (added a 4GB SD card) and made/received phone calls via the bluetooth function. All the calls were routed onto the stereo speakers. At least for my scenario, it really helped maxing out the volume on the Nuvi and then controlling the volume of my car stereo. (Low volume from the Nuvi`s headphone jack provided less than stellar results through my car speakers.)

Hope this helps,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks Mike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like another strong contender is about to hit the market for budget minded GPS shoppers. LG, with its LN735, looks to offer a pretty nice set of tools at a price of $350. I read it will have the famed SiRF Star III chip, specific street name voice guidance in the directions, and a photo viewer and music player.

I can`t wait for reviews to start pouring in on this one. At $50 more than the Tomtom One, it offers the ability to pronounce street names in the directions, which the One does not. I had my heart set on getting the One next month, but if reviews cite strong directional capabilities and a nice list of POIs, then I may jump ship on the One and strongly consider the LG.

As the street price drops on the LG (could be immediate) to around $299, I think TomTom could be in big trouble with the One, if they don`t pony up the advanced features (street level speech) at the same price. I know I`ll be watching closely!
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I think the Tomtom One will be just right for me. I will probably pick one up next month for my b-day, and it will come in very handy for our family trip to Disney in June. Garmin`s Nuvi line looks nice too, but personally, I think they are overpriced for what they offer. Garmin needs to be more price competitive, IMO.

Crutchfield is the only retailer so far that I have seen getting ready to sell the One XL... TomTom ONE XL Portable car navigator at Crutchfield.com

Well played TigerMIke you were about a week ahead of the official announcement. The ONE XL looks legit! It has a bigger screen which is great but what I`m really excited about is this model has TTS (text-to-speech) and Bluetooth capability. Also The ONE XL has traffic updates, which is something I haven`t used, but appears some of you guys are keen on this feature. I definitely could see how these updates could come in handy.

TomTom ONE XL

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like another strong contender is about to hit the market for budget minded GPS shoppers. LG, with its LN735, looks to offer a pretty nice set of tools at a price of $350. I read it will have the famed SiRF Star III chip, specific street name voice guidance in the directions, and a photo viewer and music player.

LG LN735 GPS Review

This is one of the first reviews of the LN735 that I`ve seen and it isn`t good. I had high hopes for this model, with a really nice feature set on paper that apparently fails to deliver in reality. Looks like I will be getting the TT One after all!

Ctowner, about the TT One XL, I don`t think it has text to speech (speaking actual road names). I keep reading about it and can`t find that it has that feature. I think basically all the XL is offering over the regular One is a bigger screen really. It would be really nice if TT would go ahead and add that feature to the One and One XL without a significant increase in price. Then Garmin would really be in trouble with its popular, but very pricey $500 Nuvi 350.
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    LG LN735 GPS Review

This is one of the first reviews of the LN735 that I`ve seen and it isn`t good. I had high hopes for this model, with a really nice feature set on paper that apparently fails to deliver in reality. Looks like I will be getting the TT One after all!

Ctowner, about the TT One XL, I don`t think it has text to speech (speaking actual road names). I keep reading about it and can`t find that it has that feature. I think basically all the XL is offering over the regular One is a bigger screen really. It would be really nice if TT would go ahead and add that feature to the One and One XL without a significant increase in price. Then Garmin would really be in trouble with its popular, but very pricey $500 Nuvi 350.

TigerMike,

After conducting some more research it turns out that your right about the ONE XL! I guess I misinterpreted the "clear spoken instruction in your own language" to be TTS. Anyways congratulations on your decision to purchase the ONE and check out this video of "video playback" on the ONE. It looks sweet!

YouTube - TomTom with Video Playback

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife was watching HSN or QVC the other night and they were selling the TomTom, and one thing I like better compared to the Nuvi were the amount of voices you get to pick from. According to the rep, you can even do celebrity voices like Darth Vader or something. Now THAT is pretty cool.

For the Nuvi, there are hardly any voices and to make it worse, it sounds so freakin 80`s robotic compared to the TomTom. I need to do some research and see if someone`s hacked into the Nuvi and installed video playback software like the one Ctowner posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the celeb voice thing is pretty funny. I have always thought Gary Busey was a little nutty and having him give me directions on a GO 910 would definitely be good for a laugh. Side note: does anyone else remember that ridiculous show I`m With Busey.....Gary B got awfully weird towards the end and yes I think I watched the entire season.

Club TomTom » Gary Busey Navtones

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, after exhaustive research (almost obsessive research, lol), I ordered my new TT One today, got it for $279. I hope I made the right decision on this unit, but I think it will make a fine "first" GPS device. I am still watching prices on the Garmin Nuvis though, and may purchase one of those in the future if the prices drop to my satisfaction. I still think the Nuvis are way overpriced, but that`s me. I`m curious if I`ll get one of the newest One`s with the Hammerhead chip, instead of the famed SiRF Star III, and the latest set of map updates...we`ll see. With an upcoming trip to Disney in a few weeks, I think the One will be very handy!

I would like to get the voice of Darth Vader on my One , but I`m a bit afraid of completely screwing it up...:nervous2:

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a long time NAV/GPS user, here is what I installed in my 06 Ford Escape Hybrid:

In Box Photo Gallery by jmorton10 at pbase.com

I also have 3 Garmin portables & as someone else said, they both have their advantages. I flew to Atlanta recently on a business trip & brought one of the Garmin 2620`s with me, that saved me $10 a day on a rental.

I use a Garmin 2610 (with a 2 gig CF card to hold all the USA maps) on my Harley & it works very well.

~John

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information