Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like
    I got it now. Looks like a pretty neat idea for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heard its not 2-way yet, but soon enough in the next "upgrade" they`ll have 2-way ability.

Its a neat idea I like it, but $500 is kinda high for a remote start. but on these cold days being able to start the car from anywhere i get cell service is nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just reading their site and they say it`s 2-way now.

Viper SmartStart

Yeah, that`s a huge price tag. The 2way Autopage one is like $300 installed and it has a range of like 1500 or 2000 feet or something close to that. It also has an alarm and the remote tells you the temperature of the car and stuff like that. I`ll most likely go with the cheaper one though but a 2-way would be nice so I know the car actually started. Where it`s parked at work I can not see it.

I just noticed that the SmartStart also requires a $30 a year service plan with the first year included.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    What model are you going with? I`m in the air right now. I`m either going with the standard one with door and trunk buttons or the 2way to let me know that the car actually started and I guess the remote tells the temperature inside the car as well.

I`m going with the RS-603, remote start with doorlock buttons. Trunk button is moot as this is going on a GMC Sierra 4x4. 2-way is a bit of overkill for my purposes, I`ll probably only be using it at work and I can look out the window and see it running.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by autopolski
    I heard that it`s possible to start a car engine with an IPHONe. How can I do that, how much does it cost ?

It is possible if the alarm or add on has the ability to do so. My Viper 791 could do anything. Roll up windows/close sunroof when it rains, start and turn off by itself, blast the air horns via remote, and so much more.
    If you do not change what your doing today, tomorrow will be no different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by washnwaxr
    I don`t know if they still make Clifford or who took them over but the two I had from them were terrible, very unreliable.

Clifford is now owned by Directed Electronics. They are decent alarms.
    If you do not change what your doing today, tomorrow will be no different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell
    I`m going with the RS-603, remote start with doorlock buttons. Trunk button is moot as this is going on a GMC Sierra 4x4. 2-way is a bit of overkill for my purposes, I`ll probably only be using it at work and I can look out the window and see it running.

TL

Thanks!

That was the system I got a price for. I`m still torn on what system to get. I think it`s going to come down to how big the 2way remote is. I carry enough stuff in my pockets as it is so if it`s too bulky I`ll probably pass.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was the system I got a price for. I`m still torn on what system to get. I think it`s going to come down to how big the 2way remote is. I carry enough stuff in my pockets as it is so if it`s too bulky I`ll probably pass.

I hear you about the stuffed pockets. Only time I take the key out is when I`m parked in a lot somewhere. At home it`s in a locked garage and at work I`m in a secured, guarded and patrolled area. It`s gonna be a bit different for me to remember to take the key and fob with me. Running out in the cold to get the fob to use the remote start kinda defeats the whole purpose!

Both of the local dealers quoted me the same price... $225 out the door. GMs take an extra override module due to the chip in the key that prevents starting without a key inserted.

They aren`t too competative locally right now since the temps have taken a nosedive and they`re up to their ears in installations.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, luckily I`m pretty sure I don`t need the override. One place said I did and the other said no. The one doing it is the one that seemed to know more about what they are doing so I`m hoping he`s right.

You aint kidding! The soonest I could get in was next Saturday. He already had 11 appointments for this coming Saturday when I called on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, luckily I`m pretty sure I don`t need the override. One place said I did and the other said no. The one doing it is the one that seemed to know more about what they are doing so I`m hoping he`s right.

GMs are the only ones I know of for sure that require the override.

Got the install this afternoon. It was supposed to take 2 hours but the place was jammed up so the owner dug in and did it himself in about an hour. Funny how a business owner is quicker than the hourly help. :chuckle:

Starts up the way it`s s`posed to, shuts down the way it`s s`posed to, door locks work. Smaller fob than the OEM. :::shrug::: Pretty uneventful.

Tomorrow early AM when I get out of work I`ll find out it`s worth.... s`posed to be around 10 degrees overnight.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep us posted!

The place I`m taking mine said to drop it off by 8 in the morning and told me I could wait but it`ll take a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell

TL

I`ve decided on this model as well. It`s going in tomorrow morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like it so far. The installer left the horn chirp off and I`m not sure if I like that or not. It`s nice because if I lock my doors in my driveway late at night the horn is not blasting. But if I`m in the house and can`t remember if I locked the car or not I can`t just listen for the horn. LOL

I`m also thinking of programming it to be a one push to start instead of two but not certain on that yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried it for the first time at work yesterday. I really did not expect much. I work in what could be a bomb shelter. All old block, no windows, one door. I tried starting it from my desk and when I left I was more than surprised to see the car running.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information