Post Thanks / Like
    I recently purchased a used 2500HD CC D/A and it had been smoked in, the dealer had sprayed something in it that covered it for a while but I am beginning to smell it more. I have tried the odor sprays that I could find. Does anyone have a recommendation for getting the smell out of the fabric/leather and the heat/AC vents?

Post Thanks / Like
    have you trid febreeze extra strength or some type of extracting solution on the seats. Thats all i know for the cabin, vents i have no clue thats why i don`t run my a/c or heater when i smoke in the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry, i have tried freebrez and a bottle of smokes ease from Walmart,

It has gotten better but just trying to fix it now.

thanks for the response

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found that taking out the ash tray/lighter and washing them thoroughly helped. Also, when I was done I put baking soda in the ashtray for a few months. For the headliner I did a wipe down with a damp cloth and a mild solution of generic Woolite/water and a soft cloth. Also, if possible leave the windows cracked as much as possible (I left my truck in the garage with the windows cracked for months and it helped rid the odor.)

I`m sure some odor eliminator like Meguiar`s would help as well, but I have yet to use these type products. I`ve also heard of air vent treatments you spray into the HVAC system from under the hood to deodorize them.
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    In order to totally eradicate the smoke smell from your car, you either need to contact a detailing pro with access to an ozone machine or you can rent one yourself from a rental store.

Chemical/physical cleaning of every surface will help, but the smell will keep coming back every time the interior temperature goes thru another heating/cooling cycle as the smoke smell will continually outgass from everything that has asorbed it in the interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    An ozone generator is the correct tool for the job.

As far as sprays goes. Try a product called Oust. Don`t get the smelly ones, just the natural one. It`s hands down the best for getting rid of smells, better than febreeze.

This spring I rented a cabin in the Smokey Mountains. We walked in the door and were hit by the funkiest fishy musty smell, I thought I was going to hurl. We headed back into town and got a can of Oust. I let off about half the can in the cabin and left to get something to eat. Came back a couple hours later and the smell was gone. We spent the week there and never got that can out again.

I also used it to get rid of the air freshner smell that my dealer decided to put in my truck after they serviced it. It was the most horrible baby powder smell. The odor just hung in the truck for a couple weeks. I finally sprayed Oust in it for 10 seconds and killed it all off. Many that stunk!

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that most people seem to overlook is replacing the cabin ventilation filters (if so equipped). Even if you do all of the above (and clean every bit of nicotine off the interior), your car`s heater/AC will continue to blow air through an incredibly concentrated mass of stinking cigarette smoke "residue" (if you take a whiff of the old filters after, you`ll understand!). You`ll be amazed at the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chpsk8
    An ozone generator is the correct tool for the job.

As far as sprays goes. Try a product called Oust. Don`t get the smelly ones, just the natural one. It`s hands down the best for getting rid of smells, better than febreeze.

This spring I rented a cabin in the Smokey Mountains. We walked in the door and were hit by the funkiest fishy musty smell, I thought I was going to hurl. We headed back into town and got a can of Oust. I let off about half the can in the cabin and left to get something to eat. Came back a couple hours later and the smell was gone. We spent the week there and never got that can out again.

I also used it to get rid of the air freshner smell that my dealer decided to put in my truck after they serviced it. It was the most horrible baby powder smell. The odor just hung in the truck for a couple weeks. I finally sprayed Oust in it for 10 seconds and killed it all off. Many that stunk!

Good tip. I love trying out new odor killers. Have you ever tried Ozium?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think so. Is`nt it a small can in the auto parts store? My wife used Oustonce for the dog and it worked great, so I figured I`d try it. I also have a jug of some stuff that is used for smoke damaged homes. I got it Sams. Smells a little too much for me (lilacs), but gets rid of odors really good. ( I have a really old dog with some issues... )

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we`re on to it here. 1) clean everything you can possibly reach and the headliner/fabrics with a good extractor; 2) use an ozone generator; 3) try the Oust for good measure; 4) definitly replace the cabin filters if it has any; 5) use an AC ventilation spray/aerosal designed (the kind they sometimes spray in when you get your AC recharged - simply crank up your ac system and spray this stuff into the exterior vents between your windshield and hood).

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a company out there call Sparkle Auto that sells bombs that you set off in your car and the fumes gets in every nook and cranny and gets rid of all oders. Check it out at sparkle auto.com/oder control.html .

Post Thanks / Like
    When I brought home my Jetta it smelled fine for a week or so and then the smoke odor came back. I spent about 8 hours on the interior scrubbing all the cloth surfaces with terry towels and woolite/water mixture until my white towels would no longer turn yellow/brown. Test it out on the B pillar of your truck and see what comes out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to earn my living with this product. It works, period. Do a google search to find a dealer. The gallon is much cheaper by the ounce. Complete directions are available online.

It even removes skunk, no joke. No I don`t sell it, I just use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information