Thread: Brake Rotors

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

We are finally gonna get rid of the old 1996 Plymouth Voyager later this month and replace it with a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country. Fortunately Chrysler just extended the Employee Pricing Plus plan through September 6. Anyway the Voyager needs new brakes up front. I got a set of OEM pads from the dealer but, it also needs new rotors. I really wasn`t counting on replacing the rotors so I don`t want to spend too much on them but, we do still have to drive the car for another month so I need a quality set. Here are the choices, what would you pick in my situation?

I am leaning towards the NAPA rotors for the obvious choice that they are the cheapest. The only concern I have is that I know NAPA just relabels their product so I really don`t know what brand it really is or if the quality is comparable with the other well known brands in my list.

Raybestos rotor from Pepboys = $54 each

Bendix from Advance Auto = $47 each

United from NAPA = $41 each

Usually this is not a problem for me as 99% of the time I just go OEM but, I need to do the brakes today and the dealer doesn`t have the rotors in stock.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I forget who actually makes the rotors that get sold under the various brand names...but I`d just get the cheapest set you can. Break things in properly and you`ll be good for a *lot* longer than a month no matter what you buy. I get longer than that on rotors that really oughta be replaced but were just turned instead- and that`s a *very* temporary fix.

The break-in procedure is a pain (numerous stops from increasing speeds with increasing pedal pressure, eventually right on the verge of triggering the ABS) but will prevent most rotor issues. So if you`re gonna worry about them, I`d go through the hassle and break them in right.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is wrong with the discs, are they damaged or nearing the minimum limit. If they are damaged ie cracked I would replace them, if they are just near the minimum I would leave them alone if your only keeping the car for another month

Post Thanks / Like
    They are both at their limit for min thickness and one of them has a bad (deep) groove in it. I would just replace the pads and leave the bad rotor there but, my fear is the groove may damage the new pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would just get the cheap ones, put them on with the new pads, bed them in properly like someone said, and you should be fine for a while.
    ~Chris

95 M3, 99 323i, 87 Nissan pickup--it runs, 91 Nissan Sentra--288K miles.

Thread Information