Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using Mobil Supersyn for my car. Because I have to pour in 4 1/4 qts of oil for my car, there is some left over oil in the bottle. So far, I have three opened carton of Mobil 1 which are properly capped with the stock plastic cap. Should I get rid of opend Mobil 1 carton due to possible oxidation after you open the cap the first time? This question has been bugging me as I am very particular about oil change. I appreciate any feedback on this matter.
    YS

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know but I have e mailed them from their web site with questions and they were very good about answering me.

If you can`t find out you may want to give it a try.

kbshadow

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, number one, if you trust your oil not to oxidize when it`s between the moving surfaces of your engine at 300 degrees, I wouldn`t worry about it oxidizing sitting on the shelf. Number two, as some people are fond of saying on BITOG, it`s been in the ground for millions of years...it`s not going to go bad after a few on your shelf (yes, I know Mobil 1 is synthetic, and didn`t come out of the ground, but the ingredients used to make the synthetic hydrocarbons started as something organic).

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt it, I have the same problem, so right now I have a half full 5 quart jug sitting in my garage. I figure its a free change, every year or so (we have 3 cars that rack up a ton of miles).
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    The detergents go bad after about a year or so.
    danosdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by DanoWatt

The detergents go bad after about a year or so.

That`s a new one - how do you figure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Sir Clean

So far, I have three opened carton of Mobil 1 which are properly capped with the stock plastic cap.

Why don`t you use the opened bottle first? That way the opened bottle is only as old as the last oil change?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurora40

Why don`t you use the opened bottle first? That way the opened bottle is only as old as the last oil change?
    In a hindsight, I should`ve done that. But, at the time of oil change, I felt I would like to pour in the fresh Mobil 1 since I was going through the trouble of jacking up the car and going under the car for the oil change in the parking lot. Maybe I can use those opened bottle of Mobil 1 for my company car when I go to a quick oil change place and ask them to use them.

I am interested in the other poster said about Mobil 1`s detergent property may be compromised after being opened and stored in the shelf. I wonder what Mobil`s official stance on this storage issue.
    YS

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Sir Clean

I am interested in the other poster said about Mobil 1`s detergent property may be compromised after being opened and stored in the shelf. I wonder what Mobil`s official stance on this storage issue.
    Why would it be any different than if you opened it and poured it in your car? In the car is much more volatile than in the bottle, and most manufacturers recommend a year if you don`t meet the mileage change period within that time.

Also, that cap is hardly sealed when you buy it. There is no foil or anything, and the bottles often have some oil that leaked out down the side on the shelf in the store.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont believe they go bad at all.

I`ve got over 20 cases of Mobil 1 stocked up in the utility room. (Can`t beat PepBoys Buy 3 get 3 free deal--if you can get someone to check you out).

If you`re really concerned www.bobistheoilguy.com

They will reassure you.
    Mighty Hd

Post Thanks / Like
    I have asked this question of Mobil several times and have gotten a constant answer of 5 years as long as it is stored indoors where the temperature is stable.

This also seems to jive with what I have read in threads on bitog.

The other consideration is that motor oil is contantly changing. The API has been on a spree of changing the specs almost every two years recently. They just came out with the GF-4/SM spec. If you are putting the oil in an older car you may be fine but, in a brand new car oil that is a few years old may not meet the specs required by the manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shell say 4-5 years. Interestingly they say the shelf life of two-stroke is 12-16 months

Thread Information